Controlling levels with a newborn [emoji85]

StamfordB19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone ,

My name is Matt, I’m 29 and was diagnosed with T1 just under 3 years ago.

My control has been pretty good for most of this time and I’ve been happy with my day to day levels. I’m currently using lantus in the morning and recently switched to fiasp (from novorapid) before meals.

A week ago my son was born and since then my levels have been all over the place, more hypos than usual, higher spikes than usual and there seems to be no pattern when they happen. I’m putting it down to the severe lack of sleep and my usual routine going out of the window I’m sure all parents can sympathise here!!

I know it’s very early days and I’m sure things will level out with time, but I’m wondering if anyone can share any tips that helped for them going through these early weeks with irregular meal times and sleep?!

Thanks!
Matt

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Matt, Congratulations! May your son be happy and healthy, and the apple of his parents’ eyes.
Our daughters were born so long ago now (they’re in their 40s now) that I can’t remember any tips to get through the blur of tiredness and the astonishment that someone so small can be the source is so much love and so much disruption. I do, though, remember quite a few days when getting dressed just wasn’t a priority. Blood sugars were tough, too, but this was back in the diabetes Stone Age.
I notice that you say you inject Lantus once a day. Some people split it to smooth out the profile and find this helps. Two doses, twelve hours apart; for some the night/day doses differ. If you look at the insulin profile charts you’ll see they all differ https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resourc...20of%20Leicester%20-%20Insulin%20Profiles.pdf
And yes, lack of sleep can cause total blood sugar havoc. Jelly babies and correction is all I can recommend.
Once again, Congratulations!!!

Reactions: Zhnyaka

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone ,

My name is Matt, I’m 29 and was diagnosed with T1 just under 3 years ago.

My control has been pretty good for most of this time and I’ve been happy with my day to day levels. I’m currently using lantus in the morning and recently switched to fiasp (from novorapid) before meals.

A week ago my son was born and since then my levels have been all over the place, more hypos than usual, higher spikes than usual and there seems to be no pattern when they happen. I’m putting it down to the severe lack of sleep and my usual routine going out of the window I’m sure all parents can sympathise here!!

I know it’s very early days and I’m sure things will level out with time, but I’m wondering if anyone can share any tips that helped for them going through these early weeks with irregular meal times and sleep?!

Thanks!
Matt
This is a tough one. Disrupted Insulin does tend to affect your Basal Needs (and certainly affects mine a lot). The thing is it's not like your sleep's going to be disrupted in the same way for prolonged periods of time as your child's sleeping habits are going to change a lot over the next year. I kinda micromanage these issues with a Pump (but that's a big time commitment, trust me). Prior to going on the Pump, I had a lot of success with Tresiba because its incredibly flat pattern meant I just had to have my Basal roughly in the right area and manage unusual incidents on the fly (with either extra carbs or extra Bolus).

StamfordB19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the help guys! Perhaps I’ll try to split my Lantus and see if that helps the control.

That’s a very good point Stew, it won’t be disrupted forever (well I hope not ) maybe I’ll see how it goes over the next week or so and then re-assess. I’m also eating foods I typically wouldn’t that are quick and easy, not so healthy, which will be playing a huge part in it as well.

Appreciate your advice