Diabetes, Depression & obesity

Calmwaters

Dislikes
in cooking, peppers, mustard, chillies etc
in books, romantic slop & reptiles
I don't know if there is a proven link between Diabetes & Depression but I find it causes mood swings, especially if my blood sugars are slightly higher than normal.
I have a lot of weight to lose caused by an eating disorder & if I am feeling low I can graze in & out of the fridge all day, I try & minimise the impact that has on my diabetes by chopping up a lot of fruit & put it in a trifle dish, covered in diet lemonade & I munch away through that but of course fruit contains natural sugar (& Calories) so my blood sugars are difficult to control at these times.

I'm sure there are people out there who also struggle with the same issues, if YOU do, how do you cope with an eating disorder & Diabetes?

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
i thought i was the only one.

Thanks for the advice.

and calmwaters?? thanks for asking the question i couldn't quite bring myself to.

x

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
I was disabled in an accident at work five years ago, which has caused a slow but sure weight gain, and began feeling depressed about two years ago, finally getting treatment for depression in January of last year. I've probably been heading into diabetes since about January this year when I got a bout of thrush which never seemed to go completely.

I have to say that over the past three to four weeks weeks I've noticed a correlation between my bG levels and my mood, especially first thing in the morning. Yesterday my bG was at 4.7, the lowest reading I've had yet, and I felt great, even more so stood out in the sun. If figures like that are a precursor to feeling better I'm going to do my best to keep them there.

shadwell

Couldn't agree more with Chocfish's post. I used to be a size 28 and have lost it all through low carbing. I really hope you give it a go manxangel, it really does work and please don't ever feel alone on this forum, there are so many who do understand exactly where you're coming from. I mentioned on another post about a book called Potatoes Not Prozac - it explains very simply how eating a high carb, sugary diet affects your brain chemistry and creates all those cravings that are almost impossible to beat - it's really worth reading if you can get hold of a copy. In the meantime, good luck with the diet.

Jacqhar

Just want to say how much I appreciate you guys.

Whenever I'm feeling down and want to reach for the Hobnobs I log on to this forum. I was just feeling really s*** when i read the posts on this tread and can't tell you how much better this has made me feel - I'M NOT ALONE!!

Even though I have lost 2 stone in 4 months and my BS levels are reasonably stable (4.7 this morning) every time I feel stressed I want to reach for chocolate so knowing that there are other people out there who are struggling and people who are winning really helps.

Thanks all - just off to buy some cream cheese to go with my smoked salmon

Jacqueline

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
We're definitely a more healthy option than the Hobnobs!! A little tip,if you don't buy tempting things like that then you can't be tempted to reach for one in moments of stress!!Buy nuts or other low carb nibbles...trust me..it works.Mind you ,I'm now a nutaholic! :lol: :lol:

Calmwaters

Dislikes
The trouble with nuts is they tend to be high in calories so I try & eat them sparingly.
This no carbs eating plan is so new to me, When I was diagnosed some 30 years ago carbs were always recommended with each meal, bread, rice, potatoes or pasta & its quite strange to be trying to avoid them...& to be truthful a no carb diet sounds like the ideal solution to help me lose some weight...
I am a little anxious about not having carbs & then feeling hungry all the time & then having to eat because I AM genuinely hungry...but I'm going to give it a whirl.
I was reading up on insulin pumps recently & I wonder if this could be the answer to my swinging blood sugars & insulin resistance :roll:
I'm just hoping that my depression will lift & I will feel better as I gain more control over my diabetes.
Thanks everyone for your kind replies to let me know i'm not alone & that others truly struggle quietly by themselves...something I have done for years.

Calmwaters

Dislikes
I think it helps matters when you find forums like these where different diabetics share advice & knowledge, which isn't always the same the length & breadth of the country...The no carbs plan is totally new to me but sounds like common sense, Its very nice of you to point out the positive aspects in relation to my diabetes & health...sometimes I feel as though I'm falling apart & forums like this tell me i'm not !! it just feels like I am today :)
I'm just glad I stumbled upon it ! :shock: [/color]

Nemo

I am atteding the Primary Care Conference in London next week and as part of the mental health stream there is a presentation on diabetes and depression, which I will be attending with interest.

crafteclaire

Dislikes
cheats and liers
Hi everyone.

I hadn't realised there was a link with diabetes and depression - and I've had diabetes for 31 years, and suffered on and off with depression since puberty. Stupid of me not to link the two really.

I'm low carbing and bms are getting under much better control - as demonstrated by the HbA1c of 7.6% taken on Monday - this is a massive improvement, but as I've only been low carbing since the beginning of this month, I'm expecting a big drop from this on my next test.

The problem is, I've been feeling REALLY down myself over the past few days, despite being over the moon with the low average bm (7.8 ) and the half stone weight loss in 3 weeks. Have I done too much too soon??

I'm averaging 40 - 50g cho per day and insulin intake is down by half of what it was before. I weigh 69kg, so if you multiply that by 0.5 (I think that is what a non diabetic will produce per kg of body weight), I should be on 34.5 units per day. I'm on approx 35 units so am bob on with that one.

Right now, I feel like crying and leaving the whole family to it and sodding off to Spain for a month, and my bm is 8.6 - believe me, this is NOT high for me. Has anyone got any ideas? Is it the big change in diet?? As I said before, I've been low carbing for over 3 weeks now, and haven't had this emotional down feeling until the past few days.

Claire x

albannach2

Hi Claire
Really pleased to read your post, as some of the others have already said, its really good to know that you're not the only one having challenges like feeling really down etc.

Although I have to say you've done a brilliant job of losing so much weight, although am sure it hasn't been easy. Interested to see that you don't take in that much carbs throughout the day, out of interest do you have them at one meal or spread throughout the day?

It could just be that you've taken on a lot recently, if you've been low carbing for 3 weeks or so, it must take more time etc to work out doses etc and that kind of thing is tedious at the best of times. Have you found your energy levels have remained the same during this time? I hope today is better, closer to the weekend, so perhaps things will be easier?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Claire
You really sound down
Going to Spain seems like a good iea if it's practical for you, especially if it gives you a lift. If you have SAD, the extra sunlight could help.
If it's not practical to go away,Try getting outdoors as much as possible. the weather forecasts for the next few days are good. My late mother-in-law had SAD and was SOOO much better if she could get outdoors.
Do you have or can you borrow adog?
Walking a dog is a great way to settle your feelings. and they always listen to what you say to them.
If it's the swinging BGs that are making you feel so bad. Try STRICT low carb for a bit. that means Bernstein's 6g for breakfast, 12 g for lunch and 12g for dinner. If that works you can decide whether to stick with it.
As with all health issues, you could try your GP. Depression does o with diabetes. My lovely DSn always asks me if I'm depressed. I'm NOT. I have VG control and am too busy anyway.