Funding own Dexcom

sparklesoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I live in Scotland and Dexcom isn't funded by the NHS presently. I am switching to the Tandem T2 Slim Pump on May 30th and considering self-funding the Dexcom for CGM. Does anyone else self-fund their Dexcom? If so do you find it beneficial and Dexcom users is Dexcom good? I was previously on the Medtronic 640g. Many thanks

Reactions: Medusa41

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sparklesoc yes I funded mine for 3 years and would definitely recommend it - I reduced my HbA1c and then got access to the t slim which then further improved my hbA1c, I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending it.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I second @Juicyj . I love my dexcom and self fund it. It has a few quirks

1) 1 can't get it to transmit to my watch if my phone is out of mobile range though it still shows up on my phone fine
2) sometimes doesn't work so well in the first 12 hours (don't insert sensor at night)

I almost never need to calibrate it (dexcom support, who are awesome, recommend that you don't calibrate it unless you're absolutely desperate).

I'd recommend you do a trial kit before signing up to an annual subscription (which basically gives you the transmitters free).
It is more expensive than the libre though.

I'm not a pump user so can't speak as to its use with a pump, though. I'm guessing if you do a trial you'll soon see if it's worth it.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only endorse what EllieM said.

I've self funded it for 3 years now after changing from the Libre due to skin/adhesive issues. It's not cheap but it works well, has good customer support and has been reliable for me.

My blood sugar control is very steady and wouldn't justify using a pump so can't comment on how well it all works with that.

As an aside, I'll probably trial the glucorx aidex before renewing my subscription this year as there's a very decent financial saving to be made.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I self funded for about 9 yrs before gaining funding. I've always been happy with Dexcom.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Use mine with the T slim and its proved a game changer for me so far though the Clarify app messes up my pump so I'm not able to see the usual Time In Range traffic light diagram.
When I had to self fund or when I've had a faulty transmitter (due to the afore mentioned app issue) Dexcom have been good at replacing the products and any resulting lost sensors.
Its not cheap so if you do have a helpful pump nurse where you are you could ask given this is the optimum use of the Tandem basal IQ. My form is called Qtype and the questions justifying the funding were basic e.g. frequency of hypos requiring assistance, emotional wellbeing scale. I have to apply every 6 months or evey 12 months so it isn't like getting a guaranteed item on your GP repeat prescription list!

cait 57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have self funded Dexcom 6 for over a year £159 per month. I use iPhone and watch and it’s a game changer. Am now in range over 90% most days.

Reactions: EllieM

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just started on tandem and plan to move to self-funding Dexcom once I get all of my basal rates/ratios established.

FYI, if you fill out the enquiry form on the Dexcom website, a rep will call you back and you can get a free trial (2 sensors and one transmitter). I don’t think this is widely advertised.