Grandpa does not want to visit the doctor

Julio9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Laziness, bad habits
Hello there. I have a problem - my grandpa refuses to visit the doctor. He is very tired of having diabetes, and he does not see any point of visiting doctor and hearing the same things about taking medicine, diet e. t. c. Maybe someone here faced with this problem? How can I encourage my grandpa being more serious about his health?

He feels well for now, but it is important to check health in some periods. Am I too concerned and he really needs some time to get through his worries?

Thank you

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You aren't too concerned and you are a lovely person for wanting to help. But I can also see where Grandpa is coming from, as, depending on the skills of the medics, what they say and want can be useful, irritating and/or infuriating. And we all vary in how we deal with life's unpleasantnesses. Not good or bad, but different coping skills.

Does he have the diabetic eye tests? Would he be interested in improving his diet with your help? Especially if he could see great results? If he could see those changes as one in the eye for the medics?

He might be set on being ill his way, or he might have just had enough of fighting dictatorial health staff. Perhaps suggest gently that it would be horrible for you if he lost his sight and couldn't even read. Maybe suggest temporary changes to balance whatever his readings are now, which gives him empowerment.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could see if he will at least have an Hba1c done to monitor the trend of his glucose level and possibly the eye test and foot review. That way you can see how his diabetes is progressing.

I believe that lifestyle advice is required as part of surgeries performance targets, mine have given up on such advice with me as they know I have heard it all before. My records however show lifestyle advice has been given so that when they are audited their rating is not affected. A reasonable compromise in my opinion.

You could have a quiet chat with the nurse who carries out the review and see if she will just do the physical checks, review HBa1c and just record lifestyle advice as being given.

We grandfathers do get fed up with well meaning advice from health professionals after a few years. I think I understand my condition and body better than they do and of course can live my life as I wish, this may be the case with your grandfather. BTW I have been T2 for at least 30yrs. with no complications.

Last edited:

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I understand your concern, but your grandfather is not a child and you cannot force him to do something. Unfortunately, we have to admit that diabetes is likely to shorten our life expectancy, and the only thing we can do is take care of its quality. If you worry too much about diabetes, it seems that there is nothing else left in life except needles, a strict diet and doctors, but this is not true. Try to cook your grandfather a delicious low-carb lunch, go for a walk with him, let him see that you love him and that he has someone to live for (this motivates him to take care of himself). But don't force him, it won't help and only spoil your relationship.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a grandfather I would not want or allow my grand children poking their noses into my medical affairs.

My body my choice, as they say in the US.