What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The LC Black Forest gateaux made mire than one appearance and noone ever knew is was LC. Just don't ask the calories in it! LC creme brulee was also popular. I still have a lot of nibbly LC things on my CopyMeThat
Just looked at all those, and now I'm hungry!
The cake looks impressive, and I have sour cherries in the freezer.
Trying to resist making it

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looked at all those, and now I'm hungry!
The cake looks impressive, and I have sour cherries in the freezer.
Trying to resist making it
It is low carb but the calorie count is scary.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Still using up leftover bbq chicken and sausages for supper the last couple of days but now it's gone! I have been having griddled asparagus a lot as two farms in our village grow it and I can get it fresh from the ground. I discovered how much I like it griddled or roasted compared to boiled. Its such a short season and its nearly over.
Brekkie continues to be small slice toast and lots of tea.
Lunch yesterday was rushed from a mammoth weeding in the garden so cut up a Scotch egg (from supermarket) into 8 pieces and had it with a small spoon cheesey coleslaw. Bit carbs but needed something fast. Lunch today will be 2 cooked chicken thighs as found a pack in the fridge going out of date today. Supper will be my chicken, chorizo & red pepper stirfry with paprika and have defrosted some prawns to make it more paella like. The mix will be then split in two and my portion will be stirred through cauli rice and Mr PM’s ordinary rice.
@Riva_Roxaban that slice of toast and marmalade is perfect.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of a rush this morning - slept longer than usual after getting up to take pain killers around 1 am and today is the day my cleaner comes to do the floors. She had a horrendous tale about how much her oil direct debit has gone up by (£150 a month to £470 a month!) without warning of the size of the rise. I can't see why, even with the problems with oil these days, a rise of over 3x can be justified. As she says, that is almost as much as she earns in a month and she still has to pay other household bills and keep her 2 growing kids fed and clothed. I pay her £100 a month to clean my floors (that's £12.50 an hour which I think is a fair rate for manual work) but her other clients don't pay that much and the Council (she also works as a home carer) pay a lot less (I think around £9 an hour). I really don't know how people will manage. Of course, when we were young we just stayed as close to the one fire in the house as we could and wore extra clothes and put extra covers on the beds. Out house had Crittall windows (single glazed) and grew ice on the inside in the winter. But that's not acceptable these days.

Anyway, rushing to get the floors cleared and the bed stripped left little time for breakfast so I just had a slice of the fresh wholemeal loaf Neil made for me last night with a few thin slices of cheddar. I am on the ginger and lemon tea since last evening to try to get some control over my stomach - not entirely successful, especially after taking my antibiotic pills.
upload_2022-5-18_13-9-29.png

BG was also up at 10.4 this morning and is still around that mark - at least it didn't go up when I had the bread. Just a few days ago I would have been very happy with 10 or thereabouts but recently it has been better with the earlier injection of insulin and so I'm no longer comfortable with that.

Later I will have the chicken salad that I promised myself yesterday, and didn't have time to make or eat.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been having griddled asparagus a lot as two farms in our village grow it and I can get it fresh from the ground. I discovered how much I like it griddled or roaste
So envious! I have been waiting for local asparagus but its so expensive this year, £2 for 6 thick stems in supermarket, or £3.50 at local farm shop. I keep waiting for price to come down but fear its not going to.:arghh:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and 1 big strawberry
Spent most of the morning getting to and waiting for routine hospital appointment. The consultant is always notoriously slow but was slower even than usual as he had a trainee in with him.
Did succumb to a Kind nut bar at 12:30
L: home at 13:45, stilton on seedy crackers
Interesting visit to a new community garden project. They are full of ideas but no ones wanting to take on the on going maintenance . Does seem a bit foolish setting it up in the countryside where most people already have their own outside space.
D: beefburgers wrapped in lettuce. Added cheese, pickles and sliced tomato. Yum. 1 hm lc brownie with cream

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! Bought 1 then thought better of it and gave it to my Dad! Hasn’t stopped me going back for hot chocolate and other chocs though. However I’d likely have eaten most of it at once.

Speaking of which, I visited the Montezuma’s shop in Shoreditch at lunchtime. Had gone to my favourite food truck and eaten steak, brisket and onions but couldn’t resist the lure of the big M!

Bourach describes my place most of the time!

Oh well done giving your HC Easter egg away. I’ve tried to hide mine from myself behind my jumpers in the wardrobe!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Riva_Roxaban I hope you are recovered now. I still have a bit of catching up to do. @MrsA2 hope you managed to enjoy all the birthday celebrations. I used to have these large groups to cook for. I was quite fond of just cooking low carb for mist of them The LC Black Forest gateaux made mire than one appearance and noone ever knew is was LC. Just don't ask the calories in it! LC creme brulee was also popular. I still have a lot of nibbly LC things on my CopyMeThat. @DJC3 I'm miles behind too. The teaching of the younger grandson in the afternoons is taking up time as well as trying to stay on top of everything else.

Wednesday 11 May - bed 7.1 FBG 7 3 Still doing a lot of stabbing. This Libre does not want to settle at a consistent over amount.

B. Just TAG

L. M&S pancetta crisps

D. Another fishy evening. Boys here for dinner so I ate after I delivered them home. Poached salmon fillet with part of a pack of M&S seafood selection (mussels, prawns, squid), 1/2 avocado, santini tomatoes, a bit of edam. 4 & 4 raspberries/strawberries with a dash of cream

Thursday bed 6.9 FBG 8

B. TAG and a M&S Cracker with egg mayo.

L. Pack of M&S pancetta crisps

D. Chinese chicken wings and, @DJC3, I finally smashed into the Hotel Chocolat 100% dark Easter egg. Thankfully, you can't eat a lot of it. I did have a gin truffle too!

It was a jujitsu evening. Grandson got his 2nd stripe as well.

You are definitely living up to the Super Gran avatar!
I find I eat too much of the HC eggs before I realise I should have been more restrained. There’s a definite lag period before I realise I’ve had too much. I love that hit of sweetness with the occasional raisin.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well done giving your HC Easter egg away. I’ve tried to hide mine from myself behind my jumpers in the wardrobe!

I must admit I thought of you and @Goonergal the other day when I read in our local paper that our little museum may hold the oldest East egg in the world.

I think I should put my Hotel Chocolate 85% batons, from 2019 somewhere safe. They could be famous one day. :)

In keeping with the thread, today I have had pretty disorganised food. Partly because I had lots of "jobs" to get done, and because MrB is away, playing golf for a couple of days.

This evening's meal was a stirfry with all manner in it - all LC, just a bit odd. I'll live. :)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Two small sausage rolls, lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Beef sausages, mashed spudlites & jap pumpkin together, with raw onion mixed in after mashing for lunch
Beef and chunky veggy soup, couple of slices of toast.

Crispbread with a nice Danish blue cheese spread on them watching Prime.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That really made me laugh! Hope your jumpers are better behaved than mine - now so many of them they fall out of the wardrobe every time the door is opened, so they’d be useless for concealing anything!

@AndBreathe fossilised HC batons are definitely not a thing around here.

I had a disorganised food day too, mainly due to a routine change. Working from home in the morning but had to finish v promptly to cross town for oxygen therapy, so ate some M&S rollitos as I worked, topped up with Greek yoghurt, raspberries and cream.

Headed in to M&S on the way home for half a rotisserie chicken and ahem, some eclairs!

Off to Bristol today for tomorrow’s food addiction conference and then the PHC conference.

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Forgot to post yesterday and I too had such a disorganised day, I have no idea what I ate. But today am more 'with it,' so I have chipolatas and chicken leg to air fry and chicken breast to slice up and fry with peppers and onions. That's something I've never done before so am looking forward to it. Am going shopping first so will get some mushrooms as well to add to it. My readings are high recently, sometimes it's 10 during the day, so I'm shortening the eating window and being more strict with the carbs. It's so frustrating to keep getting high numbers and I get so down about it. Sometimes I find it so confusing, I can't think straight and get really tearful, which doesn't help.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tum still
upload_2022-5-19_12-16-15.png
but I did have a slice of toast and butter and took my pills. My Flucloxacillin is the thing that really upsets my stomach and is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, but taking it that way just makes my stomach reject it so I have decided to take it with the rest of my pills - after breakfast and with food during the rest of the day.

That means I will have to have something 4 times today - obviously not much each time and will have to decide what to take in the way of insulin with the smaller meals. I will use one of the packs of lamb tagine with some yoghurt to calm it down a bit - and just divide that out into 3 meals. That way I only have one meal's worth of food but still eat 4 times in the day. I thought of making cauliflower rice to go with it, but that might be a bit much for my fizzing stomach to take. Have to do something with the veg that Neil bought for me before it goes off though. Prep/cook them all and put them into the freezer - at this rate, I'm never going to empty it.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Still using up leftover bbq chicken and sausages for supper the last couple of days but now it's gone! I have been having griddled asparagus a lot as two farms in our village grow it and I can get it fresh from the ground. I discovered how much I like it griddled or roasted compared to boiled. Its such a short season and its nearly over.
Brekkie continues to be small slice toast and lots of tea.
Lunch yesterday was rushed from a mammoth weeding in the garden so cut up a Scotch egg (from supermarket) into 8 pieces and had it with a small spoon cheesey coleslaw. Bit carbs but needed something fast. Lunch today will be 2 cooked chicken thighs as found a pack in the fridge going out of date today. Supper will be my chicken, chorizo & red pepper stirfry with paprika and have defrosted some prawns to make it more paella like. The mix will be then split in two and my portion will be stirred through cauli rice and Mr PM’s ordinary rice.
@Riva_Roxaban that slice of toast and marmalade is perfect.
Hug for the potential stomach ulcer. Griddled asparagus, sprinkled with parmesan shavings, topped with poached egg and Hollandaise must be vaguely Elsie and even I can cope with that. Guys and gals, I enjoy reading about what you are eating and your wonderful pictures. More power to your elbows creating and sharing those meals . Since I have so far read of ginger, Montezumas , cauliflower puree and cake I know I did right leaving the thread - I didn't/don't/won't fit. My relationship with Elsie is platonic/ marriage of (in) convenience. Tim Spector's 4 Ks seems to have had an influence on some here - (haven't seen kombucha mentioned) Y'all take care now.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh do report back please. I wanted to go but wasn't right timing, this time

Will do! Nipped into the hotel where the Food Addiction conference is being held (it’s the practitioners one today, general public tomorrow) to use the loo (!) earlier and bumped into Jen Unwin!

Anyway, food started erratically this morning and ended triumphantly with a magnificent steak.

Took the remains of Greek yoghurt, cream and raspberries from my fridge to eat on the train, along with some deli meats.

Was planning Five Guys but passed by a restaurant with Picanha on the menu. That did it! May have been under the ‘sharing’ plates, but I was more than able to eat it. Booked back in with a friend on Saturday night :D

516F6818-F815-44EC-A14A-5EF782492CB1.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55