Low carb potatoes

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that new potatoes such as Jersey royal have far less carbs than old potatoes.

Higaomo

My understanding is that new potatoes such as Jersey royal have far less carbs than old potatoes.
Yes, my understanding is the same.
I decided it’s easier just to buy a few baby potatoes occasionally than trying to grow some and getting too many all at once that I wouldn’t be able to use.

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Per 100g of potato Vivaldi has 22g of carbs per the JS website. How big would a baked pot be? Maybe 150/200g?

Probably too much carbs, a shame as this variety was always my absolute favourite for a baked potato - really tasty variety
Sometimes if you pair your potato with high fibre food and have a smaller potato it will be OK. Nothing is absolute. However I am T2 so may not apply to T1.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did roast baby potatoes for guests the other day. Had half of one myself, didn't test but seemed OK.
However today, as I reheated the leftover ones for hubbys lunch I had a bite, just a single bite of one, on its own and OMG it tasted so sweet, literally like a sweet. So sweet in fact I spat it out.
Not sure it it was the reheating or what but don't think I'll be trying one again for quite a while

Smileypigface

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm late to the discussion - but for those in NZ you can get lower carb potatoes here - I get mine from Countdown (as an occasional treat as I tend to keep my carbs to 15g per day) - they are marketed under the name 'Lotatoes' and have 10.8g of carbs per 100g.

Apparently there is no genetic modification to the spuds ... they are a cross between a variety already grown in NZ and a lower carb variety from Holland - they don't name either variety.

The preparation recommendation on the packaging is to boil, bake or mash.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm late to the discussion - but for those in NZ you can get lower carb potatoes here - I get mine from Countdown (as an occasional treat as I tend to keep my carbs to 15g per day) - they are marketed under the name 'Lotatoes' and have 10.8g of carbs per 100g.

That's awesome, I'll buy some in the next shop. Considered opinion, do you think it's possible to get them to sprout so I can grow more? (I'll give it a try anyway).

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Slightly off topic maybe, but some other veg can work well in place of spuds for certain things.

Celeriac puree can replace mash and is pretty tasty. Celeriac dauphinois is nice too.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's awesome, I'll buy some in the next shop. Considered opinion, do you think it's possible to get them to sprout so I can grow more? (I'll give it a try anyway).
I have been Spudites here in Australia for several years, and it says on the bag not to replant them to get them to sprout.

I know someone who has tried to grow them in various soil / potting mixex and they will not sprout for him.