I have bought a bike to help me loose weight.

D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all,

I have bought a bike to help with my weightloss so hopefully will be able to ride it soon and be out in the fresh air.
I have to go and see the diabetes nurse for review on the 13th of June as my diabetes meds aren't working to lower my blood sugar.
I also need to see a nurse specalist about my bowel problem next thursday.

Sparklebright62

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I my be shot down in flames here, but I'm not sure cycling alone will lose you much weight.
I think that weight loss more down to diet really.
As a T2 decent diet and a change of lifestyle (healthy exercise is certainly part of that) is the way to go.
Whatever, there is no doubt in my mind that cycling is fantastic exercise, cardio vascular, muscle tone, circulation etc etc. so good luck with that and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I do.

As a footnote, my bike is an e-bike (due to pretty knackered legs!). I cycled up onto the Pennines the other day, 3 miles up a category 3 climb. I stopped for a drink and a guy trudged up. We exchanged hellos and he set off again, then stopped and turned round laughing, 'I've just completed a month of doing 20,000 steps a day and only lost half a ****** pound. Is it all really worth it?'
I told him that if he took his boots off next time he weighed himself, he might lose another half pound.
Two elite athletes battling their demons up on the moors! :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to concur that all the science shows that exercise won't help you to lose weight directly but will very much benefit your stamina, strength and hopefully you will enjoy it rather than seeing it as s way to burn off fat!
On the plus side you get the vitamin D (wear shorts) and provided you don't overcompensate with food afterwards you might find it helps you feel good about getting fitter.
Please don't be discouraged by what has been said. It will always be food that is the key to using up surplus fat supplies whether that is low carb or fasting.
Calories Out part of the Calories In/Out hypothesis doesn't work even if it intuitively feels as if it should.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I used the gym two or three times a week and always weighed about 13 - 14 stone which wasn't too bad for my 5 ft 10 slim frame I suppose , but when lockdown happened and the gym closed I started walking every day and generally enjoying life outside , I am now weighing between 11 st 7 and 12 st and have never felt better , losing weight has got to be the best medicine !

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weight loss can be so difficult, sometimes bordering on impossible for some. I agree that exercise alone won’t be the answer. However, the feel good buzz from exercising can be so beneficial. So much better than sitting around with the temptation to eat more than needed. Also, exercise can prevent muscle wastage, build muscle in fact. So enjoy your cycling, @Sparklebrightisright62 , but do look after your diet, too. Oh and consider for your safety a cycle helmet and high vis clothing.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Cycling away from the fridge can help weight loss.:)
If you look at how many calories you burn and relate that to burning off a pound of fat it can be quite depressing.
However cycling is wonderful exercise, and the increased endorphins can help stave off comfort eating.
Increased muscle mass (mainly in the legs with cycling) can also reduce insulin resistance.
Which in turn can help reduce the pressure to eat if you are a T2 with high insulin levels and high insulin resistance.
All good things.
Best of luck!

D

Deleted member 538891

Hi there,

Thankyou to you all, I am doing as a distraction from overeating so will see how far I get with this and healthy eating

Sparklebright62