After 6 months I’m finally being listened to

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
November 21 I had a covid booster, a week later my stable blood sugars went through the roof, from 6 to 8, to 15/17. (Hba1c had been around 48) A dramatic change as I’m not on any medication. “Ignore it” my diabetic nurse said (not my usual one but another lady). I contacted them again a month later when it was still high, “you shouldn’t be testing” I get told. I’m on a low carb diet so yes I am testing thank you very much. I have an operation in January and talk to my Doctor, about it. Metformin prescribed, still high figures. I speak to the dn, I get told off again. I have another Hba1c and it’s 100 plus, I book an appointment with my original dn and say I will only deal with her. So today I get told I need to be on more medication, I need to test and everything is urgent. I also find out the DN which I was having trouble with has recorded my fasting bloods as 8/9 not 15/16 as they were reported to her. Needless to say, if you get a good DN hold onto them, and if you get a bad one kick up a fuss, I wish I had trusted myself a little more and created a fuss, maybe if I had seen the doctor I wouldn’t be in the state I am now.

Reactions: JMK1954

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
November 21 I had a covid booster, a week later my stable blood sugars went through the roof, from 6 to 8, to 15/17. (Hba1c had been around 48) A dramatic change as I’m not on any medication. “Ignore it” my diabetic nurse said (not my usual one but another lady). I contacted them again a month later when it was still high, “you shouldn’t be testing” I get told. I’m on a low carb diet so yes I am testing thank you very much. I have an operation in January and talk to my Doctor, about it. Metformin prescribed, still high figures. I speak to the dn, I get told off again. I have another Hba1c and it’s 100 plus, I book an appointment with my original dn and say I will only deal with her. So today I get told I need to be on more medication, I need to test and everything is urgent. I also find out the DN which I was having trouble with has recorded my fasting bloods as 8/9 not 15/16 as they were reported to her. Needless to say, if you get a good DN hold onto them, and if you get a bad one kick up a fuss, I wish I had trusted myself a little more and created a fuss, maybe if I had seen the doctor I wouldn’t be in the state I am now.
Be sure that the miss recording is both corrected and reported to the surgery manager - you have survived, but the worst case scenario could be the death or serious impairment of one of her patients.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been diagnosed? In the first 5 or so years a sudden and significant rise that cannot be explained should have type 1/LADA excluded.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting, (but horrific for you!), but interesting to me as my BG went from low normal, (just found out I had been tested for a previous nerve-related ailment) to HbA1c 129.5 after my covid jabs, and symptoms started about a month after my 2nd; diagnosed 10 days after my booster.

I hope you get the practice manager to sort your records and have a serious word with the doctor and nurses - I no longer deal with my original Diabetes Nurse (and vice versa) after she feared I would 'officially' complain because of the shambles she made with me.

I would definitely get them to refer you for GAD/c-peptide testing. Good luck.

Reactions: Numan

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I’m just dealing with my original DN and have told her I will cancel any appointments that get rescheduled away from her, she’s aware of the situation and I trust her completely.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you have complained about the error. Nothing will ever get any better unless results are recorded correctly. I experienced errors in recording test results years ago, when the hospital sent results to the GP surgery in letters and admin staff recored them inaccurately on their PC system. I had been told the results at a clinic appointment, but it took a GP appointment, when the doctor actually went and found the original letter, to establish there had been a significant error with the figures recorded for my record.

Unfortunately, all human beings make mistakes, but we all need to acknowledge this - including medical professionals, who in my experience, generally assume that it is the patient who must be wrong.