Really struggling with my levels

BIRCO

Hello, Ive been T2 for 12 years now (im 53). Have been taking 4xslow release metformin for a few years and i low carb.

So my numbers have been going up but the last couple 3 weeks or so im really struggling. For example for breakfast i had a sausage, 2 bacon and 2 eggs. Lunch 2 pieces of cooked chicken (.2 carbs and sugars) and a handful of blueberries. I come home having not eaten for 6 hours and my score is 10.6. It used to be around the 6/7 mark not so long ago. I also have some hands and feet issues and my balance doesn't feel right. Developed raging tinnitus firs thing in the morning too.

Im thinking that im approaching T1. Spoke to docs, switched to normal metformin and got a blood test (in two weeks its rubbish here trying to get to see a doc these days). Anyone any views on this? Is this really bad or am I overreacting?

Much thanks

James.Kapherr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm no expert at all - but what if you don't have the sausage and bacon and have an omelette instead with some sliced chicken in it and a small amount of cheese? Are the levels lower then?

My highest reading was 9.8 once - and I know what caused that (yeah, had some fried chicken and a small amount of chips - I'm a newbie T2 so wanted to see the impact it would have). Rest of the time, I am between 5.4 and 7.1.

Hotpepper20000

Thanks for responding. I’ve been fine before but things have changed. I’ll give it a go.
Have you been sick lately? Fighting an infection will raise BG
Sleep troubles, work stress, or other life stress. It’s not just food that causes blood sugar to rise.

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, firstly congratulations on a great job for the past 12 years, so many things can push up numbers, underlying virus, exercise variant, wind direction, you name it, it will push up bg, if you don’t eat for a long time, your liver pumps out some glucose because it has no idea you are diabetic and likes to “help out”, maybe have a little chunk of cheese or something in between meals? I’m far from an expert though, I hope you find some answers soon.

(not sure about the reason or effect of switching met to normal release?)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You definitely need some further checks as if a type two, of the ordinary sort, eats low carb then they have normal levels of glucose. If that doesn't happen it ought to raise a red flag to any HCP worth their salt.
Hopefully the tests ordered are for insulin output and things associated with other types of diabetes, as things have obviously altered for you. Keep testing in the mean time just in case your numbers climb ever higher.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that low carb ought to keep levels normal. I’d check for changes in recipes. Some sausages can be really quite high carb. Have you been ill, had any infections, new medications, stress etc? Are the strips in date? Otherwise I’d be asking for testing to see what’s happening

However can I just point out type 2 doesn’t become or approach type 1. They are different diseases with different causes and underlying issues. Even if a type 2 ends up on insulin they are still type 2 and even in the case their pancreas eventually slows production of insulin. That’s not to say people aren’t misdiagnosed or rarely get both but there is a huge misconception two becomes one and it just doesn’t.

Reactions: danziger