Disposable syringes

Wing Michael

Having had type 1 diabetes for many many years, I have been using disposable syringes for a considerable number of those years (it was glass syringes before then!).

When I needed to obtain a new prescription at Christmas for them, I discovered that there was a supply issue with them. So I reluctantly moved over to pre-filled pens. My experience of them is they are awful.

Anyway, at a review, the diabetic nurse has agreed to put the disposable syringes and vials of insulin back onto my prescription (yippeeeee!).

However, I find that there is still a supply issue with them!!

Is anyone else still using disposable syringes? What brand? What size? Is it a national pharmacy?

Any thoughts welcomed.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have BD U-100 insulin syringes as a back up for my insulin pump.
As they are only a back up I don't use them often so cannot comment on the supply.

Have you tried refillable pens? I don't know what problems you had with the pre-filled ones but I found them to be flimsy (and take up a lot of space in my fridge and terrible for the environment). I used the refillable pens for over 10 years prior to my pump and was happy with them. I only used the pre-filled ones for a short time when trialling a different insulin.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Micheal can you tell us what problems you are having with the pre filled pens ? you must be having serious problems to prefer using syringes and vials !

xshtiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I needed to obtain a new prescription at Christmas for them, I discovered that there was a supply issue with them. So I reluctantly moved over to pre-filled pens. My experience of them is they are awful.

Any thoughts welcomed.

I have to agree with you wrt. the disposable pens, especially the Humalog ones, I switched to the refillable type a while back and find that they are much better made, nicer to use, with no dribbling.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use disposable syringes and vials. I have severe arthritis in my hands, which makes using what is referred to as an 'insulin pen' awkward and painful. The last time one was prescribed, I couldn't even take it apart to get the insulin cartridge in. I have never had a problem getting insulin syringes, but at the moment there seems to be a problem with supplies of something different every time I get a prescription. I live in NW England.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Now you mention it JMK I will say yes the button on my Semglee insulin pen can be a bit awkward to press so someone with arthritis in their hands would have a problem !

polarsun

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer disposable syringes. I like to mix short and medium acting insulin in different ratios depending on what I decide to eat.