Severe non proliferative retinopathy

Joy1988

Morning all,
Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences as I’m freaking out right now!!
So type 1 for 28 years (not greatly controlled throughout teenage years) and for many years I’ve had background retinopathy changed about a year ago to mild, I’ve now just had a letter following an eye exam to state the retinopathy is now severe! What does that even mean in real terms? I’m trying hard to get my bloods steady all of the time instead of just most and considering cutting carbs from at least some of my meals! Can anyone share their experiences? I’m so worried!
Many thanks

Dark Horse

Severe non-proliferative retinopathy means that you are now at greater risk of proliferative retinopathy developing in the near future. Untreated proliferative retinopathy causes sight loss so you will likely be offered more frequent eye checks and may even be offered pre-emptive treatment to try and prevent proliferative retinopathy from developing. If it does develop, further treatment would be offered.

As always, good control of blood glucose, blood pressure and blood lipids reduces the riak of progression. This site discusses ways to improve diabetic control:- http://diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/pre-proliferative.html

I would be cautious about replacing carbs with foods containing trans or saturated fats as your eyes are already showing signs of damage. You might be better to focus on replacing high GI/low fibre/baked goods with low GI/high fibre sources of carbs.

The main thing is to continue working at maintaining good diabetic control and to attend all eye appointments offered.

Reactions: MAW8