Type 2 Switching back to a normal driving licence

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My GoogleFu has failed me on this one, so I thought I’d ask the hive mind. :)

I’ve managed to get everything back under control to the point that I no longer need insulin and can go back to pills (Rybelsus once a day, Metformin twice a day), and it all looks good apart from the fact I live in the 5s - 7s instead of the 4s to 6s as I did before.

The good news however is that I’m told I can’t hypo on these pills! Pretty awesome.

We know the whole on to insulin, so only drive for 2 hours max, retest, 5 to drive, etc. but what do I need to do when I come off insulin?

Can I let them know early or do I need to wait for the 2 years and let them know at renewal date?

Do I need to keep following the insulin rules when driving because it’s a part of the conditions of the licence or can I just go back to my 4 hour non-stop blasts along the motorway?

I’d rather err on the side of caution, but if someone has some definitive info, that’d be great. :)

Reactions: Antje77

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, spoke to diabetic nurse. According to the NHS the risk of hypos is only in interaction with other drugs, of which Metformin isn’t one, and the risk of thyroid cancer is known but v. small. We talked about it and decided that the rewards outweigh the risks.

So original question still stands. :)

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to NHS advice to HCP's,you must inform DVLA if you hold a Group 2 licnce but it should not change your licence requirements. Group 1 licence unaffected by a GLP-1 argonist med. I am on a sulfonylurea med myself, and I still hold a valid Group 1 licence just renewed

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I rang DVLA to say I had come off insulin after only 3 weeks, I was told they would not send me the 3 yr licence as it had not been issued yet, (long delays around Christmas), but something went wrong at their end and I ended up with the 3yr anyway. When I finally spoke to DVLA again about 6 weeks later, I was told I had to send it back, even though likely I will end up on insulin within the 3 years.

Might be worth letting your car insurance know for their records too.