Positive LADA

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My test results have come back positive LADA. Sort of relieved, as I thought I was being incompetent, not managing my blood sugars. But at the same time thinking why, not sure i'll get that answer. I've stopped losing weight since starting insulin in March, so that's good, need to put a little weight, looking skinny. Next step a review of the insulin. I do feel a bit controlled by it all at the minute, hopefully I'll get more relaxed. Does anyone else get super hungry feelings?

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It's good you now have a proper diagnosis. I eat a keto diet so am never hungry.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently been diagnosed with LADA but not (yet) on insulin as still producing plenty myself, and it blew me out of the water, triggered by an extra lockdown stone or possible vaccine over-reaction, no-one knows.

I am on low carb, usually less than 25g per meal, and sometimes a lot less, ie. chicken salad, but finally not lost any weight this week for the first time after making a concerted effort to eat more. I have gone from 12 to 8st in the last 12 months, my clothes, size 16 to 10, and my skin no longer fits! I feel your skinny pain.

Full fat Babybels and 2 slices of Livlife low carb bread and peanut butter at lunch (plus the usual salad) have been the changes this week, and my blood glucose checking has remained the same. I remember feeling hungry when I started, but now I am way more active and really don't ever get hungry, more just wishing I could have a biscuit or 2 with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I think your body just gets used to the difference, but your brain takes a bit longer to catch up. I snack on 15g of almonds or pumpkin seeds if the time until lunch or dinner seems an eternity away.

It's all a bit :wacky: eh?!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the T1/LADA club, @Rowgirl
I can understand the relief of the diagnosis along with the trepidation of taking insulin for the rest of your life.
It does get easier.
For me, the important thing is not to let diabetes control your life ... in return don't expect to fully control the diabetes. It is about management and balance.

I know this site encourages low carb and even keto. I find very low carb incredibly challenging to dose insulin for (I need to count the different types of protein to calculate insulin dose), research has shown that taking insulin protects the remaining beta (insulin producing cells) whilst avoiding insulin puts extra strain on them and I feel changing my diet just because of diabetes is letting it control me.

I was diagnosed in my mid 30s, nearly 20 years ago, I live a very full and active life, have no other medical conditions and no complications due to diabetes. So, for me (and we are all different), my approach works well.

If you do not already have Libre, I recommend requesting these on prescription. Unless ... you are the sort of person who becomes obsessed by numbers and always being in range. I found the Libre wonderful for helping me understand the impact of different types of food, exercise, stress, ... on my levels to allow me to manage my diabetes. I consider it waaay more than a replacement for finger pricks.

Feel free to ask questions to help you live your life without being dictated by your diabetes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="In Response, post: 2514761, member: 527103"
I know this site encourages low carb and even keto.[/QUOTE]

I think you’ll find that’s for type 2 far far more than for type 1/LADA as it’s a different set of issues with a different approach required (although there are a few type 1’s that find it easier or preferable too)

WMF

Hi . I’m just learning about LADA. Glad you’ve got an answer.

I haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes. I’m normal/underweight struggle to gain. I’ve been tracking my blood glucose and consistently have impaired fasting and have to watch carbs or I get high postprandial and then glucose in urine. I get brain fog and tiredness. And get super hungry sometimes and no appetite other times.

Hope you don’t mind me asking. Did your symptoms come on gradually and how did your doctor first diagnose you? Did/do you have a high HbA1c?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My test results have come back positive LADA. Sort of relieved, as I thought I was being incompetent, not managing my blood sugars. But at the same time thinking why, not sure i'll get that answer. I've stopped losing weight since starting insulin in March, so that's good, need to put a little weight, looking skinny. Next step a review of the insulin. I do feel a bit controlled by it all at the minute, hopefully I'll get more relaxed. Does anyone else get super hungry feelings?

Hi,

Are you prescribed MDI? (Basal bolus regime.) or on a fixed mix?

you may regain any weight naturally that was lost due to insufficient insulin when the body utilised fat reserves.
Your ideal you could then be maintained with the right balance.
If my basal dose is incorrect? (Too high.) I may experience a need to sometimes constantly feed due to hypos..
Learning to understand dosage adjustment will help with this. But it’s an individual arrangement.

certain food types for me don’t compliment the bolus insulin working profile, so I avoid them in my busy lifestyle.
… unless I have time to mess about with the “bug fixes.” Strangely, I don’t seem to have succumbed to the middle aged “manspread” I was expecting either regarding my diet choice.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[QUOTE="In Response, post: 2514761, member: 527103"
I know this site encourages low carb and even keto.

I think you’ll find that’s for type 2 far far more than for type 1/LADA as it’s a different set of issues with a different approach required (although there are a few type 1’s that find it easier or preferable too)[/QUOTE]
When there were plans for a Type 1 course, that too was low carb.
The course was never approved so never published but diabetes digital media (who own diabetes.co.uk) favour low carb for all. This is why you often seen reference to Dr Bernstein - a endocrinologist with Type 1 who encourages low carb (and encourages all women with diabetes should go on the pill because our hormones are too difficult to handle).

WMF

I think you’ll find that’s for type 2 far far more than for type 1/LADA as it’s a different set of issues with a different approach required (although there are a few type 1’s that find it easier or preferable too)
The course was never approved so never published but diabetes digital media (who own diabetes.co.uk) favour low carb for all. This is why you often seen reference to Dr Bernstein - a endocrinologist with Type 1 who encourages low carb (and encourages all women with diabetes should go on the pill because our hormones are too difficult to handle).[/QUOTE]

Hi .
I’ve listened to a lot of Dr Bernstein’s diabetes videos online. Omg re hormones!

I hope you don’t mind me asking but you said you were dx in mid 30s. I just turned 40 (female) and am concerned about my blood glucose regulation. I’ve been monitoring it myself for the past 12months. I have pre diabetic ranges (fasting and postprandial highs even though don’t overdo carbs), struggle to gain normal BMI 18.5, tired a lot (anaemic) and get grumpy when hungry.
Just wondered whether you were dx quickly or did your symptoms start gradually? Did you have a high HbA1c?
It’s baffling me how I have relatively high numbers. And if I eat a portion of starchy carbs I have glucose in urine. I wonder if it’s the route cause of fatigue too. I just want to feel energised again.
X

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The course was never approved so never published but diabetes digital media (who own diabetes.co.uk) favour low carb for all. This is why you often seen reference to Dr Bernstein - a endocrinologist with Type 1 who encourages low carb (and encourages all women with diabetes should go on the pill because our hormones are too difficult to handle).[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the members that post on the forum recommending it - not the organisation that host this forum who I don’t see post at all other than elections occasionally

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just joined the Lada club too as of today- I totally get how you are feeling. Bit of trepidation, but vindicated that I’m not rubbish at managing my diabetes… it’s a lot!

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the T1/LADA club, @Rowgirl
I can understand the relief of the diagnosis along with the trepidation of taking insulin for the rest of your life.
It does get easier.
For me, the important thing is not to let diabetes control your life ... in return don't expect to fully control the diabetes. It is about management and balance.

I know this site encourages low carb and even keto. I find very low carb incredibly challenging to dose insulin for (I need to count the different types of protein to calculate insulin dose), research has shown that taking insulin protects the remaining beta (insulin producing cells) whilst avoiding insulin puts extra strain on them and I feel changing my diet just because of diabetes is letting it control me.

I was diagnosed in my mid 30s, nearly 20 years ago, I live a very full and active life, have no other medical conditions and no complications due to diabetes. So, for me (and we are all different), my approach works well.

If you do not already have Libre, I recommend requesting these on prescription. Unless ... you are the sort of person who becomes obsessed by numbers and always being in range. I found the Libre wonderful for helping me understand the impact of different types of food, exercise, stress, ... on my levels to allow me to manage my diabetes. I consider it waaay more than a replacement for finger pricks.

Feel free to ask questions to help you live your life without being dictated by your diabetes.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully I can get back to a healthy diet. Keto plus virtual starvation trying to manage my blood sugars just didn't work before insulin. I'm waiting for an appt with the diabetic nurse to change my insulin. I'll ask about libre, it'll be nice to work diabetes around my life rather than the other way around. Thank you for the advice.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Are you prescribed MDI? (Basal bolus regime.) or on a fixed mix?

you may regain any weight naturally that was lost due to insufficient insulin when the body utilised fat reserves.
Your ideal you could then be maintained with the right balance.
If my basal dose is incorrect? (Too high.) I may experience a need to sometimes constantly feed due to hypos..
Learning to understand dosage adjustment will help with this. But it’s an individual arrangement.

certain food types for me don’t compliment the bolus insulin working profile, so I avoid them in my busy lifestyle.
… unless I have time to mess about with the “bug fixes.” Strangely, I don’t seem to have succumbed to the middle aged “manspread” I was expecting either regarding my diet choice.
I am on novomix at the minute, but waiting on an appt with the diabetic nurse to change this. I am looking forward to have more flexibility with when I eat. I eat to a schedule at the minute which isn't always convenient. I don't mind putting on a bit of weight, to plump my skin up, but then hopefully stabilize.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just joined the Lada club too as of today- I totally get how you are feeling. Bit of trepidation, but vindicated that I’m not rubbish at managing my diabetes… it’s a lot!
I thought I was going mad, trying to explain to everyone how little I was eating and still having high blood sugars. I'm glad I spoke to a different diabetic nurse at the gp's and he said straight away, 'ur not type 2'. I think I was on the verge of a crisis, losing a lb a day, and feeling awful. Hope you are feeling better?

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi . I’m just learning about LADA. Glad you’ve got an answer.

I haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes. I’m normal/underweight struggle to gain. I’ve been tracking my blood glucose and consistently have impaired fasting and have to watch carbs or I get high postprandial and then glucose in urine. I get brain fog and tiredness. And get super hungry sometimes and no appetite other times.

Hope you don’t mind me asking. Did your symptoms come on gradually and how did your doctor first diagnose you? Did/do you have a high HbA1c?
My initial HbA1c wasn't too bad 50. In fact it improved 3 months later to 47, and I though i'd sorted it with a few dietary changes. But then over the following months my blood sugars became more labile and I cut out more and more types of foods. 8 months after diagnosis I had days where I felt really unwell, a slice of bread would have me nauseous, light headed etc. it was a year after diagnosis that I woke up beginning March with a blood sugar of 20. It didn't budge from 20-28mmols. After 3 day trips to the hospital and multiple gp phone calls, lost 10lbs of weight in 6 days, I got started on insulin. I actually cann't remember much about March. But i'm getting there now. Weight stabilized and back to almost eating normally.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I was going mad, trying to explain to everyone how little I was eating and still having high blood sugars. I'm glad I spoke to a different diabetic nurse at the gp's and he said straight away, 'ur not type 2'. I think I was on the verge of a crisis, losing a lb a day, and feeling awful. Hope you are feeling better?

Yep that’s a familiar situation- only way I have been keeping my blood sugar reasonable is very low carbs and cals. Upside of that is I lost a lot of my excess weight but being told I have LADA explains why my blood sugar does what it wants a lot of the time despite my best efforts. Mornings seem worse for me- the dawn phenomenon is kicking my backside- but levels much better after midday. I’m feeling a lot better physically since doing low carb and keeping a better handle on my blood sugar- it took me having dka and being referred to a diabetes team at the hospital to finally get the answers. I hope you’re doing ok!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My initial HbA1c wasn't too bad 50. In fact it improved 3 months later to 47, and I though i'd sorted it with a few dietary changes. But then over the following months my blood sugars became more labile and I cut out more and more types of foods. 8 months after diagnosis I had days where I felt really unwell, a slice of bread would have me nauseous, light headed etc. it was a year after diagnosis that I woke up beginning March with a blood sugar of 20. It didn't budge from 20-28mmols. After 3 day trips to the hospital and multiple gp phone calls, lost 10lbs of weight in 6 days, I got started on insulin. I actually cann't remember much about March. But i'm getting there now. Weight stabilized and back to almost eating normally.
Off topic but vital information needed! Who is that adorable pup?

WMF

Thank you for replying. Helpful info. Best wishes for getting back to normal.