Newby diabetic

Jasesonix

Hi all, I'm Jason, a newly diagnosed diabetic. Just thought I'd share my experience so far on this new path in life. Though still waiting for test results as to which type I am.
I believe I've been diabetic for a few years though didn't want to accept it. I though I could manage it through diet. A few months ago I started getting pain in my legs. It got so bad I had to go to the doctors for first time in about 8 years. That's when diabetes was diagnosed. Now I'm on insulin and gabapentin for my neuropathy. Was in hospital on fluids for 3 days to flush out the excess ketones and lower blood sugar. Both were very high. This was a very humbling experience as never been in hospital overnight before. Made me realise how amazing our nhs is. The staff were amazing. They work so hard under difficult conditions to make you comfortable and help you get better.
So, I've been home a few weeks, getting my blood sugar levels down slowly. Currently at 7.3 first reading in the morning.
Its definitely a life changing experience and quite overwhelming at first. The good thing is though, that my former wife is diabetic, so I learned quite a bit when we were together.
I've read a few posts here today and can see this is a good community to be a part of. I look forward to communicating with you all.
Moral of this story I think, if there's something not right with your health, go see a doctor straight away. Don't wait a few years, when things are worse and the damage has already been done.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jasesonix ,

Welcome to the forum.

Ask any question you wish? A steady pull into normal (ish) range with the BGs is preferable..

Best wishes.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Jasesonix

Hopefully you'll get your official diagnosis soon, there are pros and cons to both of the main ones. If T2 you may be able to use low carb to reduce your need for insulin. If T1 you get slightly better benefits from the NHS, though the new guidelines may make T2s on insulin eligible for libre/flash glucose monitoring (that one is still a work in progress though).

There are other types (T3s, MODY....) but they are much rarer.

In any case, whichever type you turn out to be, welcome.