Low glucose over night

Markca91

Hello,

I am type 1 diabetic and sometimes during night my blood sugar is low.

I am aware that I can adjust amount of tresiba that I'm using, however, this topic is more about situations where my blood sugar is behaving out of usual pattern.

For example if I was active during the day or if I ate less calories then during that night my sugar will go low and at that moment I cannot impact it with any basil insulin before I go to bed because I only take it in the morning.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can eat in these situations before I go to bed?

If I take the usual carbs such as ***** bears or ice cream they can only increase my blood glucose for an hour or two and then it will go down again. Is there anything I could eat which would keep my glucose higher during the whole night?

Thanks!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anything with carbs and fats would work, like crisps, or a (piece of) sandwich with butter and cheese.
or if I ate less calories
Are you carb counting to decide on your mealtime insulin? Calories don't really matter, it's the carbs.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I check my blood sugar before going to bed and sometimes I go low later in the night for reasons unknown to me (maybe it's the dreams). Fortunately I wake up often and that's normal for me. If my sleep is more troubled than usual, I check my blood sugar. If I suspect I will go too low, I have 100 to 200 grams of fruit or carrots, without any covering insulin, and I eat it with plenty of cheese. The cheese slows the rate of digestion and consequently release of the carbs into the blood stream. So far that's worked for me to last out while I sleep.

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exercise can cause us to become more sensitive to insulin and go low overnight.
The way I have found to manage this is to reduce my basal.
However, this is not possible with Tresiba because it lasts so long it can take 3 days for a change of basal to be noticed
If this is happening frequently, I would suggest changing your basal insulin to sonething shorter acting and more flexible like Levemir
Personally, the ultra long lasting basal is incredibly inflexible and only suitable if your days are identical

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live alone and through use of a dexcom cgm, it's alarms and supper as part of my routine rarely suffer from a low blood sugar overnight. The odd occasions that the CGM alarms it's a crosscheck with a fingerstick and remedy as required! Usually day 1 of a new sensor...

2 slices of toast and a bourbon is my go to for supper. This gives a modest rise for the first few hours and then tails gently back, with my waking BS around 5 to 5.5 on waking.