Don't know what to believe about my Docs advice on my Hba1C

Meg2009Arm

Ok, so I've just come back from a doctors apointment because I have another chest infection (2nd in two months) after discussing this I said I needed some advice about my weight and diet because I keep loosing weight (now 57.8kg at 5'11" BMI of 17.7). Obviously I've been very careful trying to keep my BS after meals in the (5,6 or 7's often not successfully) Her advice to me was that based on my last Hba1C of 6.2 I was doing fantastically and shouldn't be so hard on myself and 'let up' on the low carb approach and generally eat abit more. I understand that becoming too underweight has it's health implications also and maybe is a contributing factor to my useless immune system. When I questioned the validity of a hba1C over regular monitoring at home she just said that the hba1C is the best way they have of monitoring my progress. Of course I expected her to say that, but should I allow myself a few more carbs etc to put abit of weight back on or at least prevent any further loss or is it likely that my medicaton isn't working properly (Doc obviously thinks it is) when I can get reading s in the 8's or even 9's after just a small bowl of porridge? She agreed to me seeing a dietician who I hope can help with this. I eat alot of nuts (particularly walnuts) cheese and eggs as recommended by people on the forum. Just feel I might lose control if I allow myself to eat more. I can so see how an eating disorder could develop in this situation.
Any advice really appreciated. Oh I forgot to say I am type 2, diagnosed 4 years ago due to routine test in pregnancy, never really been over weight but have family history and on Glucophage (SR Metformin) x 2 500mg and Junuvia x 1 daily.

Cheers
Meg

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Re: Don't know what to believe about my Docs advice on my Hb

Sounds a tricky problem.

The easiest answer might well be to go on more medication as that way you maybe able to eat more but that is a difficult choice to make especially if like me you have chosen a low carb route to avoid lots of medication.

Have you tried eating more energy dense (but still not particularly starchy) forms of carbs such as beans and other legumes to see what they do to your BG's?

Given that you were never overweight did they ever do the tests on you to confirm you were Type 2 rather than LADA Type 1.5? It could make a difference if you choose an extra medication route as if you were Type 1.5 rather than Type 2 then being prescribed insulin stimulating drugs may run the risk of shortening the life of your pancreatic function as far as I've been told. Luckily you're just on Met and Januvia neither of which do that at the moment so perhaps your doc recognised this may have been a possibility.

C

catherinecherub

Does the weight loss coincide with your chest infections? Usually your appetite diminishes during this sort of infection.
Have you had any thyroid function tests? I lost weight last year when my thyroid played up but once it was discovered and I was given medication, then I slowly put the weight back on that I needed to be a suitable weight.

Meg2009Arm

Thanks for your responses.

No, I don't think the weight loss has anything to do with my chest infections and my appetite hasn't really diminished. No I've never had Thyroid tests.
I know I've lost the weight through trying to be extra good with my diet and cutting down on carbs. This started in around August last year after being told by a nurse who did my routine retinopathy exam that I had a problem starting to occur in my left eye. No more info than than. So I panicked and cut down my food intake, particulrly carbs in the hope that I could reverse the damage and bring my hba1c down a bit . I was then told by my doctor that the results had come back as perfectly normal so she had got it wrong. I asked for this to be confirmed and a senior diabetic consultant rang me a few days later apologising for the mistake, he had looked at my photo's and could see nothing wrong. However after starting down this low carb route if I try to eat a larger portion of carbs as I had done previously my BS were very high. I feel that my body has changed to my new diet and can only tolerate smaller amounts.

Xyzzy
My dad and his father are type 2 so I think the assumption my have been drawn from this. However they were both overweight and fitted the sterio type. The docs always tell me that I am a unique case. Aren't we all!! Will try adding my beans to my diet, thanks.

Cheers
Meg

sugar2

Hi Meg,

i would ask again about LADA if I were uou. My dad, and his Mum are/were T2...but I am a confirmed T1...so you can get a mix of diabetes types in familes.
I am very good at putting on wieght :oops: So I wondered if you need the opposite diet to me..ie lots and lots of cheese, meat fish and all that lovely low carb, high cal food?

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You could try asking for a fructosamine test instead of the Hba1c. The fructosamine is more a expensive test to carry out, but can show underlying problems if the Hba1c is being fooled.

Meg2009Arm

Thanks Guys, the problem here is that my doc seems happy with my Hba1c and doesn't see any issues. I will try asking about a LADA test as you aren't the first person who has mentioned it. Yes I eat as much cheese meat etc that I can stomach :D . I guess my stomach has shrunk abit!

Thanks again.

Yvonne8

Think you should check the side effects of taking Januvia -just a thought.