BANNED
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
running
Hey,

Are these recommended for diabetes? Do you like that kind of meals? If so, post recipe for your favourite raw fruit salad :)

Thanks,
Robert

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I find that I am ok with a small fruit salad of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries if I have full fat creme fraiche at the same time. An occasional treat as I do not take any medication.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Fruit salads will boost your BG very quickly and massively, but vegetable salads are generally safe. I can advise a delicious salad of cottage cheese, tomatoes, basil, vegetable oil

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm another T2 on diet only so only eat a few berries with yogurt, or 'fruit' such as rhubarb in fake crumble.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am away at the moment and my hostess did a dessert of baked nectarine in honey...
Massive spike.
I'll stick to a few berries, most being homegrown raspberries or locally foraged blackberries, simply frozen to last the yead5

D

Deleted member 543160

Fruit salads will boost your BG very quickly and massively, but vegetable salads are generally safe. I can advise a delicious salad of cottage cheese, tomatoes, basil, vegetable oil
and @Antje77:
I have a Greek style variant of this with
  • feta cheese
  • kalamata/black olives
  • small cherry/piccolo tomatoes
  • basil leaves
  • olive oil

Reactions: jjraak and Zhnyaka
D

Deleted member 543160

@robert85

As an unmedicated T2 eating a ketogenic/lchf style diet, the closest I generally get to making fruit salads tends to be small quantities of mixed berries with full fat versions of double cream, creme fraiche, or maybe Greek yoghurt. Morrisons have a Black Forest frozen fruits pack (cherries, blackberries, blackcurrants, blueberries). which at 8.2 carbs per 100 grams means minimal carbs within my chosen fruity portion "allowance" of approx 50g weight. I often add cocoa powder to the cream with this selection to make a chocolate "sauce". I use erythritol/stevia if I want to add any sweetening.

However, in general I've found that if I choose a small enough portion (both size and/or carbs wise) I can eat a fairly wide range of preferably in season low carb fruit, not necessarily just berries. Using my meter shows me what are or are not acceptable amounts. Diet Doctor has lists and charts of low carb fruits, which you could use to make your own selection for a fruit salad.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
However, in general I've found that if I choose a small enough portion (both size and/or carbs wise) I can eat a fairly wide range of preferably in season low carb fruit, not necessarily just berries.
I agree, and I do, even with the higher carb fruits like melon and pears. The portion usually is a single bite (but not in the morning because then it still makes me rise). Hardly worth making a fruit salad the size of a single bite, unless you're into cooking like this: :hilarious:

I also use fruit to treat a hypo when I get the chance, no time for a fruit salad though in those circumstances.

Eating just a bite from a fruit spoils the fruit pretty soon, I only have this luxury because my little friends in the garden are happy to eat the rest, I wouldn't want to have to throw away a whole pear minus a bite.

281068680_10225568259987687_483085690058797550_n.jpg

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, and I do, even with the higher carb fruits like melon and pears. The portion usually is a single bite (but not in the morning because then it still makes me rise). Hardly worth making a fruit salad the size of a single bite, unless you're into cooking like this: :hilarious:

I also use fruit to treat a hypo when I get the chance, no time for a fruit salad though in those circumstances.

Eating just a bite from a fruit spoils the fruit pretty soon, I only have this luxury because my little friends in the garden are happy to eat the rest, I wouldn't want to have to throw away a whole pear minus a bite.

:happy: That video made me laugh, is it from a dolls house group? Sure I've seen something similar in a Facebook group I'm a member of.

And love your little friends in the garden are so cute and cuddly!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls

Adore the 'pig' family!