Libre and flying

Lakeslover

I’m due to go on my first holiday abroad since wearing the libre. Is it likely to set the alarm off at security in the airport? If so and it has happened to you did the security guards understand what it is?

I self fund so don’t have a prescription I can show them.

M@

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m due to go on my first holiday abroad since wearing the libre. Is it likely to set the alarm off at security in the airport? If so and it has happened to you did the security guards understand what it is?

I recently flew (in South Africa) with a Libre sensor on and it did not set off any alarms. Not sure if the airports are stricter in your part of the world though.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have flown a lot with Libre and it has never set up any sensor whether it is in my arm or a spare on the x-ray conveyor belt.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first post Covid flights were last week. Following other advice I requested not to go through that rotating image machine in security but to have the manual pat down instead. All three times was no problem at all, the staff were familiar with libre, two asked if I also had a pump which I don’t. All three asked me to touch the sensor and they then swapped my fingers with gauze that was then checked for residue in one of their machines. The whole process was quick, and problem free. In fact, each time I finished the security check area faster than my husband did.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Following other advice I requested not to go through that rotating image machine in security but to have the manual pat down instead.
That is unusual advice.
Whilst I have been told that manufacturers do not approve the use of the "rotating image machine", I have never been told such a thing with Libre. In fact, my Libre have been through those machines multiple times with no issues.
Unfortunately, as I now have a pump, usually, I do have to avoid those machines and given my experience, I would never advise to refuse it unless really necessary.
I guess less people are traveling at the moment because the wait to be patted down can be very long so I always have to give myself at least 30 minutes extra to get through security.
I have also spent a very uncomfortable time with a very rude security person being dragged to another room because I "refused to conform to the security screening".

wilby1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I to have just had a libra 2 sensor fitted i was advise that at the airport you canot go through the full body scanner and they then provided me with a letter to further assist it also covered the facts that i would also be carrying Insulin.

Lakeslover

I had no problems at the airport. Both times I went through the old fashioned arch type scanner and it didn’t set the alarm off or affect the sensor.

Diggler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Opera
The manual for the Libre 2 says "Some airport full-body scanners include x-ray or millimetre radio-wave, which you cannot expose your Sensor to. The effect of these scanners has not been evaluated and the exposure may damage the Sensor or cause inaccurate results."

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

My daughter uses one. And we were advised not to go through the scanners or put it through x-ray. So we are given a letter and the staff use a scanning paddle to check her and they Check extra libres by hand.
Been a few holidays and Just back from holiday last week and no issues going or coming back.
Enjoy your holiday

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any updated experiences on wearing a Libre or taking a new boxed one through hand luggage to be applied later. I am flying Heathrow to Malaga end of next month and dread going through security at the best of times and last time had a panic attack. I am well controlled T2 but like to wear a cgm in unusual circumstances.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always chucked my sensors, pump, meters - whatever thru airport scanners and not had a problem. Touch wood! For some reason they always like to swab down the pump.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Ive been through manchester airport security with a libre for several years and i have never gone off lol

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Good to hear Tony…were you wearing it or was it in a box yet to be applied?
Hi
I go through the scanner thing where you have to put your arms out with sensor in place and my bag with usually 2 sealed boxes goes along the conveyor belt.
Only once has a security guard examined my medication in its plastic bag and that was only because his wife was type 1 and he was interested....a pleasant conversation took place.

Tony