Fact Check - "lowering Blood sugar too fast can cause harm"

H-Bomb

I'm a week into my first insulin, having been put on Lantus once a day, have gone from 10 units to 25 units in 5 days and my bloods are still ranging from 9-27, spoke with nurse today to ask about rapid insulin to bring the spikes down. She said to continue on the long release as its harmful to reduce my bloods too quickly.

in my simple mind that does not make sense.

opinions & thoughts greatly received

Thanks
H.

Reactions: Lindap118

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's well known that rapidly lowering BG can cause & worsen retinopathy in the short term.
Slow & steady seems the best approach.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its the rollercoaster blood sugars that your micro vessels (in eyes and kidneys) do not like as well as the toxicity of raised blood sugars so I'd concur with the above. Slow and steady via a diet (and insulin if necessary) that you can sustain has to be the way.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @H-Bomb and welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid I agree with the others, best to do a gradual lowering to minimise eye issues. Plus there is the practical issue that you need to increase insulin gradually so as not to overdose.

Can I ask what type of diabetes you have?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a week into my first insulin, having been put on Lantus once a day, have gone from 10 units to 25 units in 5 days and my bloods are still ranging from 9-27, spoke with nurse today to ask about rapid insulin to bring the spikes down. She said to continue on the long release as its harmful to reduce my bloods too quickly.

in my simple mind that does not make sense.

opinions & thoughts greatly received

Thanks
H.

What have you been diagnosed with and what was the HbA1c that led to it?
Your levels are very high so I'm guessing the Doc's are worried about that.