Type 2 How fast diabetic complications return?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
here is a question if anyone can shed light based on their personal experiences. I was diagnosed with T2 about 18 months ago at a1c of 78 mmol. At the time of diagnosis i had several symptoms of diabetic complications including PAD, neuropathy, tingling in hands, high BP etc. When i normalised my BG in the next three months, all the symptoms were gone and even my eye exam came back clear. Fast forward a year, i maintained my BG in healthy range 5-7 mmol. Last three months, i tried to up my carbs a bit and did some experiments on different carbs and my BG control for couple of month was not as good as it used to be, spiking to 8 and 9 postprandial and a bit elevated fasting. within just 2 months of a little higher BG, i realised most of the symptoms started returning, BP went up, tingling started, felt some symptoms of neuropathy and my fasting glucose went up, indicative of insulin resistance. Had an eye exam and they found background retinopathy too.

Just surprised, with just a little overdoing carbs and just for couple of months, all the hard work of a year goes away? Do you see the same symptoms returning back as soon as your BGs are not in range? I know we all are different, but i know many diabetics in family who have their BGs much higher than i had for the last two months for years and they don't have any of those complications. Can anyone explain this for peace of mind please?

PS: Why would my eye exam be clear after years of high sugar and just having higher BG for couple of months after normalising it, i have background retinopathy? doesn't make sense for me and then i saw some post that say that when they were diagnosed T2 they didnt have retinopathy and after a year of control and diet, next year they found retinopathy, quite not understand that!

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re the retinopathy...I now realise I was insulin resistant (in other words already T2) for 25 years before T2 diagnosis, when my poor old pancreas started to tire. I think the build up of hyperinsulimia damage in those years is what causes the damage in some people.

Reactions: andromache

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thanks, seems like no one is getting any returned complications, which is great :)

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dark Horse is a great resource on Retinopathy so I'll tag them in.
My understanding, which is admittedly hazy, is that there can be a lag between retinopathy appearing & BS levels.
Also, rapidly improving BS has been known to kick off retinopathy, many diabetics are never informed of this when they begin lifestyle changes or start taking insulin. A slow taper down seem to be the correct action.
I myself discover BR in one eye post diagnosis with a low diagnostic level so we are all individual to when damage occurs.
I was pleased to find out it had cleared up the following year.

Dark Horse

Regarding diabetic retinopathy, I don't think you can read too much into your results.
  1. It takes years for diabetic retinopathy to develop and some people say that the current degree of diabetic retinopathy tends to reflect what the diabetic control was like 2 or 3 years earlier (which in your case was before you were diagnosed).
  2. If someone has very low levels of diabetic retinopathy they could bounce around between background retinopathy/no retinopathy for a few years.
  3. An increase in blood pressure can increase retinopathy even if there has been no major change in glucose control.
  4. Postprandial glucose levels of 8 and 9 mmol/l are found in people without diabetes.
Thanks to @Ronancastled for the tag

Reactions: Larissima

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My own retinopathy took 20 years to accrue but I believe the final straw (massive bleed in both eyes resolved by vitrectomy) it got triggered not by my average to bad blood sugars but possibly by massive changes in my blood sugars due to pregnancy. Not that this is a risk for you but consider consistency of your low carb practice.