How to check insulin delivery from pen

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Read several years back that to check pen is giving correct amount dialed up that you can squirt so much insulin into needle cap up to line but I cannot recall how much it should be ,can anyone help please

sgm14

I was told 2 units but into the air rather than into the needle cap.

That seems to agree with https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/how-to-inject-insulin.html
Hold the pen upright and perform an ‘air shot’. This requires dialling up at least 2 units and pressing the plunger to expel a test shot of insulin. This helps to clear any bubbles out of the needle. If you do not get a steady stream, repeat the air shot until you do get a steady stream of insulin coming out.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to do the 2 unit air shot then dial up 20 units and squirt slowly into the outer needle lid.....the liquid should reach upto the top of the lid to the collar between the lid and its shank.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
Pretty sure it's the outer plastic needle cap up to line where it funnels out, and it's 20 units, don't forget the air shot first.

If anyone thinks this is wrong, I am happy to be corrected.
JPEG_20220530_104608_4622195498648998509.jpg

Reactions: sleepster

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Pretty sure it's the outer plastic needle cap up to line where it funnels out, and it's 20 units, don't forget the air shot first.

Last time this came up we compared a number of different pen needles, and this was true of most (but not all) of them. But @borderter , if you post the brand of the needles you use, I am sure that someone can confirm that this works for your brand.

And @Jaylee is very knowledgeable on this subject.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,

If anyone thinks this is wrong, I am happy to be corrected. View attachment 54752
Thanks and 20 units was what I had at back of my mind so will make a note in case I need it again

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last time this came up we compared a number of different pen needles, and this was true of most (but not all) of them. But @borderter , if you post the brand of the needles you use, I am sure that someone can confirm that this works for your brand.
We tried all the different needles we had between us moderators, and they all filled up to the point @chrisbug drew, except mine!
I use Klinion needles so as long as you use a different brand you're likely good with that method.

If you have 2 pens you can also just give it a try with both of them and see if they come to the same point. If they do they should be fine, and then you'll know for sure how far it should fill with your brand of needles in case you ever doubt a pen again. :)

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We tried all the different needles we had between us moderators, and they all filled up to the point @chrisbug drew, except mine!
I use Klinion needles so as long as you use a different brand you're likely good with that method.

If you have 2 pens you can also just give it a try with both of them and see if they come to the same point. If they do they should be fine, and then you'll know for sure how far it should fill with your brand of needles in case you ever doubt a pen again. :)
Hi the needles I use are insupen 4mm and they are really fine so thats what made me want to check as have a new insulin pen which may not work well with the needles so thanks all

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If anyone thinks this is wrong, I am happy to be corrected. View attachment 54752
Did you draw this for this thread? It’s a brilliant drawing if so… just saying