Quandary

Stu9876

So, I posted on another thread about my nocturnal hypo seizure a week ago.

The hospital consultant said something about not driving for 12 months, but I phoned the dvla and they said 6 months. Better, but still a bit ****.

Anyway, to confuse me even more, I have the option of surrendering my licence or filling out medical consent forms etc.

Surrendering looks to be more beneficial in terms of reapplying for my licence, ie when I send the d1 form, I can start driving while they process it. The medical forms mean that in 4 months I can reapply, but can't drive until I have received my new license.

Has anyone ever went through this and give me some guidance. I would like to fight it if I can, it's clear that there are steps I can take to ensure no hypos when driving.

Surrendering is like admitting defeat.

Really not sure what to do

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think the operative word is "seizure". If you needed assistance to deal with the hypo event, then yes, the DVLA will insist on the time out. If you did not need assistance then the DVLA recently changed their requirements regarding nocturnal hypo events. You will need to fill in a DIAB 1 form and grant consent for DVLA to have access to your medical history whichever route you choose, so neither is an escape from that angst.

Are you Group 1 or 2 driver? Group 2 has stricter requirements for diabetics. HGV and PSV drivers are very strict.

DVLA took 9 months to approve my renewal this year, but my NHS file now occupies 3 large files.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think the operative word is "seizure". If you needed assistance to deal with the hypo event, then yes, the DVLA will insist on the time out.

In the UK at least for just a car license nocturnal hypos should not affect your driving license as you're not going to be driving when you're asleep.

upload_2022-5-30_11-49-8.png

And the consultant is wrong of he thinks it should.
Or maybe the consultant thinks there is another reason apart from that nightime hypo why the OP should not be driving

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
it's clear that there are steps I can take to ensure no hypos when driving.

I don't think the hypo is the issue, since you had it at night and license loss from needing assistance for a hypo is only triggered if you have two daytime hypos in a year.

But if you are recorded as having a seizure, you look like you are stuck with the 6 months ban for a provoked seizure....Given the issue with the potential time lag in form processing I'd want to be very sure that
ie when I send the d1 form, I can start driving while they process it.
is actually the case. I would expect that they are going to need medical forms filled in, whatever happens (but it's 20 years since I've gone through the UK licensing thing).

Hopefully someone here will have some first hand knowledge for you (and information on current time lines)

It may also be worth enquiring on the DUK website,
diabetes.org.uk
as they have quite a lot of information and also a helpline...

Good luck.

Stu9876

In the UK at least for just a car license nocturnal hypos should not affect your driving license as you're not going to be driving when you're asleep.

View attachment 54753

And the consultant is wrong of he thinks it should.
Or maybe the consultant thinks there is another reason apart from that nightime hypo why the OP should not be driving

I had a seizure as a result of the hypo, wife woke to me flapping about and called ambulance.

I believe it falls under provoked seizures. Although there is a statement about the overriding factor is the safety of other road users.

My dsn has encouraged me to make a case, I had a brain scan and an ecg which showed nil acute (no damage/evidence of anything sinister) and my glucose level of 2.8 is the only factor to explain it.

I took my lantus twice before bed, so it was a mistake, an oversight. I do have hypo awareness and no other medical problems. I am getting a cgm too.

The main points I'm wrestling with are that by surrendering, I'll definitely be driving in 5 months and 3 weeks, if I fight it, it might be longer with the backlogs.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a seizure as a result of the hypo, wife woke to me flapping about and called ambulance.

I believe it falls under provoked seizures. Although there is a statement about the overriding factor is the safety of other road users.

My dsn has encouraged me to make a case, I had a brain scan and an ecg which showed nil acute (no damage/evidence of anything sinister) and my glucose level of 2.8 is the only factor to explain it.

I took my lantus twice before bed, so it was a mistake, an oversight. I do have hypo awareness and no other medical problems. I am getting a cgm too.

The main points I'm wrestling with are that by surrendering, I'll definitely be driving in 5 months and 3 weeks, if I fight it, it might be longer with the backlogs.
The backlogs apply to new applications too. If you surrender then you cannot drive until the new licence is granted. You will also need to declare your episode on the application and DVLA will probably insist on DIAB1 medical form when you declare yourself as diabetic and insulin user. So it is kicking the can down the road. To try to conceal that episode now is not in your best interests, and applying for new licence will not erase that incident since it is a recorded HCP intervention. I suspect surrendering now will only delay the inevitable, but as regards getting renewal it seems plausible provided you have no further errors or events.

Stu9876

I have already declared it over the phone.

This is what I found....

The benefit of surrendering your licence
If you surrendered your licence, you may be able to start driving again as soon as you reach the seizure-free period, as long as your doctor confirms that you meet the medical standards to drive and the driving agency confirms that it has received your application.

If your licence was revoked you will not be able to drive until the driving agency issues you a new licence and you have received it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have already declared it over the phone.

This is what I found....

The benefit of surrendering your licence
If you surrendered your licence, you may be able to start driving again as soon as you reach the seizure-free period, as long as your doctor confirms that you meet the medical standards to drive and the driving agency confirms that it has received your application.

If your licence was revoked you will not be able to drive until the driving agency issues you a new licence and you have received it.

I am over 70 so am on a 3 year renewal cycle, I have to surrender my licence anf there ia an Act of Parliament that allows me to drive for up to one yeat without it. Last June I submitted my DIAB1 and renewal form with my licence card , and I got my plastic ID back in March 2022. The act of Parliament only covers a renewal either due to age or a limited duration medical licence (group 2 requirement). Not sure if it covers voluntary surrender. Certainly if a HCP declares one to be unfit on medical grounds, then that is in effect a revocation anyway. The Consultant may actually be correct, because the only time period I have seen DVLA state is the 2 hypo's in 12 months rule. If they say one hypo in six months then get that in writing from them.

Stu9876

Right, I've went down the surrender route.

I've also done the medical consent form too although I didn't have to.

If I don't surrender, it would 100% be revoked, and you can't drive under section 88 if it has been revoked.

This way, if I don't have a seizure between now and the 19th of November (not that I'm counting) and I send the forms through, I will be able to drive while they perform their checks.

So frustrating though.

Reactions: Oldvatr