Approved Type 2 Questionnaire: can you help please?

Manda Foodie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
** Pre-approved for posting**
Hi All,
If anyone in this group can spare time to help with a final year Uni Assignment by completing a research questionnaire, I would be very grateful.
To be eligible, you must be 18+ and diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. The link is below, and all information provided in the questionnaire is completely anonymous. Please feel free to pass on the link to anyone else you know who is eligible to complete it as well.
This is the first time we have ever done this sort of thing, and we have already had feedback to point out that not all the questions are applicable to everyone, and some of the questions based on standard guidance are not necessarily applicable to diabetes, but these answers will be integrated with other data, hence the standardisation (that is a long way of saying please make some allowances for it not being perfect!).
Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks, Amanda Saunders, mature student completing a BSc in Nutritional Science.
Link to the questionnaire:
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/D8WZWYR

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done! Some of the questions were difficult to answer because they grouped things inappropriately e.g. the one about eating processed or fatty foods. I eat few of the former and lots of the latter - there was no way to distinguish between the two or add a comment.

There was also a question about confidence ‘following a diet / exercise plan recommended by a healthcare professional’. I am confidently following a plan but it most certainly didn’t come from a HCP.

Reactions: Hezzal and Antje77

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest the questionnaire includes any other medication being taken for a non-diabetes condition, which can impact on some of the symptoms mentioned

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, I found those difficult too.

Also it asked about recent illness (not Covid)
I had to explain at the end that my HbA1c, my sleep patterns, my brain fog, my stress levels, my energy levels had all been adversely affected by having had Covid. They were not a true reflection of the effectiveness of my diet.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, I found those difficult too.

Also it asked about recent illness (not Covid)
I had to explain at the end that my HbA1c, my sleep patterns, my brain fog, my stress levels, my energy levels had all been adversely affected by having had Covid. They were not a true reflection of the effectiveness of my diet.

Same here. I still have Long Covid which completely impacts my sleep, activity levels, heart rate and so on.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. I still have Long Covid which completely impacts my sleep, activity levels, heart rate and so on.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention the heart rate...oops!

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the list of what country nationality you are, I noticed that Australia and New Zealand do not get a mention unless we put it under "Other".

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Also on Q37 the headings on the last 2 columns have been reversed. Second to last column is headed 'agree strongly' and the last one 'agree'. I answered according to the actual headings but this will skew the data.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was no option to state if mental issues/fatigue/stress etc had a known cause unrelated to diet (although obviously they may in turn impact dietary choices)

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Done. Enjoyable refresher and awareness exercise.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
If anyone in this group can spare time to help with a final year Uni Assignment by completing a research questionnaire, I would be very grateful.
To be eligible, you must be 18+ and diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. The link is below, and all information provided in the questionnaire is completely anonymous. Please feel free to pass on the link to anyone else you know who is eligible to complete it as well.
This is the first time we have ever done this sort of thing, and we have already had feedback to point out that not all the questions are applicable to everyone, and some of the questions based on standard guidance are not necessarily applicable to diabetes, but these answers will be integrated with other data, hence the standardisation (that is a long way of saying please make some allowances for it not being perfect!).
Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks, Amanda Saunders, mature student completing a BSc in Nutritional Science.
Done.

Agree some questions odd
One in particular considering the audience

"Do I avoid high fat, calories or carbs "
LCHF.is popular diet choice on here

And I almost bailed
Lots applied to me
But many were impacted by my personal situation rather then T2D. (Awful RTA / PTSD)

But continued as I felt others like myself, with disabilities or accompanying illness should still have a voice, to hopefully improve the abysmal care & advice far too many are still being offered,

Hope I haven't skewed the survey too much, did comment with reasons

Good luck with results.

Reactions: HSSS

Manda Foodie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Also on Q37 the headings on the last 2 columns have been reversed. Second to last column is headed 'agree strongly' and the last one 'agree'. I answered according to the actual headings but this were skew the data.
Ooops my fault I think! I will leave it as it is, and make sure I flag to the tutor that we should use data from that question with extreme caution! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Amanda

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As this is a nutrition survey, I am surprised you are not asking about if someone has known nutrient deficiencies, and if so then are they getting medical treatment or taking supplements to correct this. So, per ex, B12, Iron, D3, Vit C, folate, calcium, potassium, sodium, iodine. I also did not see anemia in the menu for other conditions. NAFLD is also prevalent among T2D.

I too noted the column title swap, but assumed it was a Captcha. It will skew the result since it is easy to go into zombie mode and auto respond even as humans. I nearly did.

Are you able to distinguish between T2D on orals only vs insulin users? Our needs are different between these two treatment plans.

The diabetic meds section does not cover the new kids on the block (i.e. the incretin mimics, the GLP-1 argonists, the SGLT-2 inhibitors, the DPP-4 meds or the thiazides) The menu does cover the sulfonyls, but the examples list is very dated. I am on Gliclazide, which is a commonly used med in the UK. Some of these meds need or tolerate carbs, others benefit from low carb diets.

Are you aware that long term use of Metformin can lead to B12 deficiency. This in turn can lead to anemia, and low ferritin levels. My blood pressure med is both hyperkalemic and hyponatremic, so I have to avoid bananas, tomatoes, avacados, but have high salt intake. I am also on a water tablet which either depletes sodium, or spares potassium,, so a low salt diet is not suitable for me. I suspect there are many on this site who use these same meds to contol their commobildies from T2D. It goes with the territory, which is why many T2D do not fare well on Eatwell.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

Manda Foodie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All,
Hi All,

THANKS all for your feedback and for completing the survey so far. If anyone else would like to complete the survey (pretty please ), it will be open for another week.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done! Some of the questions were difficult to answer because they grouped things inappropriately e.g. the one about eating processed or fatty foods. I eat few of the former and lots of the latter - there was no way to distinguish between the two or add a comment.

The problem I have with that is that it seems to imply questioner bias in that both processed and fatty foods are deemed to be bad when they are not regarded as such by those of us using diet control. I shall continue to decline referrals to the nutritionist.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
THANKS all for your feedback and for completing the survey so far. If anyone else would like to complete the survey (pretty please ), it will be open for another week.

Survey done as well as possible but it doesn't really reflect my beliefs or position on many things.
Very annoying having to click on every medical condition "in the past 3 months" to say never.
Could we not have just had a catch all "None of these" box to tick?
Conflation of fatty foods with processed food shows a bias and lack of knowledge on the questionnaire compiler.

Happy to give further feedback if required!

Reactions: Manda Foodie