Sleeping ( actually not sleeping )

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Any remedies, supplements that are safe and good to use , preferably natural , never had a hypo so that's a minimal risk ( I think) haven't been a great sleeper for years but I think it's catching up with me now.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any remedies, supplements that are safe and good to use , preferably natural , never had a hypo so that's a minimal risk ( I think) haven't been a great sleeper for years but I think it's catching up with me now.
My technique for a good night’s sleep is not supplements but making sure I am tired when I go to bed.
For me, this means no caffeine after lunch and physical exercise after work.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Short term when I worked nightshifts I used to use promethazine which you can buy over the counter. But long term being prescribed melatonin really sorted my chronic sleep issues, as well as a magnesium sleep spray before bed. But getting a gp to prescribe melatonin is difficult if you’re in the uk- not sure about anywhere else

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have/had no problems getting to sleep (I'm one of those annoying people that are snoring within 10 minutes usually), but staying asleep was as different matter, I've been taking magnesium glycinate in the evening for about a month, and it seems to be doing the trick, going through until at least 4ish (from 10) when I usually need a pee.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Have you used a device like a fitbit to assess your sleep? I thought I did not sleep well, but it seems after using my fitbit sleep app I don't need as much sleep as I thought. As long as I am getting my deep sleep and REM allocated time then it states my sleep was fine. It is quality not quantity.