Ozempic side effects

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi all. I’m on 1mg weekly of ozempic and the diarreah has become almost unbearable. I feel like I’ve got food poisoning and I can’t even go for a walk without fear of a sudden onset. I’m gutted because this drug has helped me lose weight and gain good control. I’m also exhausted and barely eat. I’ve decided I may have to come off it as my quality of life is awful. I feel like I’m inbetween a rock and a hard place. I’ve requested a call from my DSN but I’m still waiting a week later. Any advice welcome.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I’m on 1mg weekly of ozempic and the diarreah has become almost unbearable. I feel like I’ve got food poisoning and I can’t even go for a walk without fear of a sudden onset. I’m gutted because this drug has helped me lose weight and gain good control. I’m also exhausted and barely eat. I’ve decided I may have to come off it as my quality of life is awful. I feel like I’m inbetween a rock and a hard place. I’ve requested a call from my DSN but I’m still waiting a week later. Any advice welcome.

lcarter, I hope you start to feel better soon.

I take a drug (nothing to do with diabetes) which has a known side-effect of significant diarrhea. The advice for that medication is if diarrhea happens to start the prescribed Immodium IMMEDIATELY. Do not pass go, collect £200 or anything else. Hit the immodium.

Thankfully, after almost 8 months my package of Immodium is still gathering dust.

Taking Immodium for a few days, until you can hear from your DSN could be helpful and give you some respite. Obviously, that's what I would do, but only you can decide for yourself. Perhaps a call to your friendly local pharmacist could provide some guidance.

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had been controlling my blood sugar levels fairly well for about 15 years on metformin and then low carb and liraglutide, but then a cancer diagnosis sent my levels rocketing. The change to ozempic was catastrophic! It made me feel constantly sick, I put on a huge amount of weight, I couldn't leave the house because of the diarrhea and it was doing nothing for my sugar levels. No-one ever mentioned immodium.
I put up with it for 3 months and then just stopped - the side effects stopped immediately.
Don't keep struggling, becoming isolated in your home, speak to your GP/DNS/Endo team about a change of meds.
Good luck!

Reactions: lcarter

Juliaw61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am 2 weeks into .5 ozempic. I have the opposite problem but with severe heartburn and burping. I feel so bloated all the time but I am loosing some weight.
I had been on Byetta for over 7 years so my body is used to the class of drug. In the first week on .25 dose I had to use extra insulin to achieve even a bad level of glucose and managed to put on 5lbs in a week. With Dr consultation I upped the dose to .5 after 1 week instead of 4 and on the next week lost 7lbs, BUT I did a lot of finger pricks and really cut back on carbs, added a little extra overnight insulin. I have mainly levelled out the glucose but at a rather high level and am looking forward to going up to 1mg regardless of side effects.
I worry that the prescribing nurse really doesn't understand the mechanism for this drug and the responsibility for juggling meds, food, glucose and exercise is all mine. Reading a lot on insulin resistance and I am coming to the conclusion that I will need to cut right back on carbs. Can't manage full keto as my guts just cease to move but can manage with one very high fibre meal per day and only small amounts of complex carbs at other meals. This is becoming a full time job keeping track of all of this.