Omnipod dash

Mazzi724

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,
Any advise would be very much appreciated.
I’ve been using the pod since April this year, and I am struggling with my glucose levels. They seem to go high after the pod has been changed and I also find that I am struggling with the injection sites. Eg I like wearing it on the legs but I seem to catch it with my clothing. My tummy could do with a break due to using sites regularly there with my last pump, I like wearing it on my arms too but I’m concerned about over use. I’m struggling with this pump atm
. I’m thinking about going back to my insight. I will ring my DN on Monday. I’m sick of these up and down readings

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mazzi724

I also experience similar problems. The highs following changing a pod I manage by using a temporary increase to my basal rate. The pump team locally also suggested changing before a meal so that you bolus shortly after changing. These strategies have helped me.

The Omnipod was my first pump. I did find it took a while get things running smoothly. Like you I use my tummy and legs mainly. Have not yet tried my arms as yet. I have a review appt this week so will be asking about this. Will let you know if I get any answers

Good luck with your call to DN next week

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mazzi724

I also experience similar problems. The highs following changing a pod I manage by using a temporary increase to my basal rate. The pump team locally also suggested changing before a meal so that you bolus shortly after changing. These strategies have helped me.

The Omnipod was my first pump. I did find it took a while get things running smoothly. Like you I use my tummy and legs mainly. Have not yet tried my arms as yet. I have a review appt this week so will be asking about this. Will let you know if I get any answers

It's interesting that works for you, if I did that my levels would rocket into the stratosphere. Taking a 0.05 dose of Bolus right after applying the pod, and routinely doing pump changes after my last meal of the day has helped me a lot.

Reactions: Mazzi724

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
It's interesting that works for you, if I did that my levels would rocket into the stratosphere. Taking a 0.05 dose of Bolus right after applying the pod, and routinely doing pump changes after my last meal of the day has helped me a lot.
Hi Stew, how do you work out the 0.05 bolus? I would like to try this but don't know how to technically to do it. Do you plug in to the PDM a tiny amount of kid on carbs?
Thanks

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stew, how do you work out the 0.05 bolus? I would like to try this but don't know how to technically to do it. Do you plug in to the PDM a tiny amount of kid on carbs?
Thanks
Basically, when you go into the PDM tap Bolus.

If you don't enter anything in the Carb box, you can edit the Dose box and just type in the amount of Insulin you want to take.

*actually you can always edit the Dose box, I just find it easier to avoid 'phantom carbs'.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Basically, when you go into the PDM tap Bolus.

If you don't enter anything in the Carb box, you can edit the Dose box and just type in the amount of Insulin you want to take.

*actually you can always edit the Dose box, I just find it easier to avoid 'phantom carbs'.
Fantastic Stew, every day is a school day!

Mazzi724

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Mazzi724

Thank you so much for your advice, I’ve been in touch with my DN and after I mentioned about what you suggested as in bolus when changing the pod she agreed. Since applying this I have noticed x positive changes. Many thanks again

Reactions: Hopeful34

stayingalive

I've been using the omnipod since february and quite of lot of them (maybe one in six?) fail, with no warning. And more than 50% stop precise pumping round about 50-60 hours in, so the last 12 hours is very rocky. I get no warning apart from my freestyle libre letting me know I'm going high. Given the number of beeps the pump makes (I've turned off all the optional ones) when its getting close to change over, I'm surprised it doesn't warm me when its canula is not delivering all the insulin properly. I'm never really sure how bad it is until I take the pump off, and find the backing wet and smelling of insulin. To be fair insulet have always replaced the faulty pumps, when I've asked (at first I thought it must be my fault and didn't report them) but its a terrible waste of insulin. Obvs the NHS pay for that, but its still expensive to somebody!

It's good to have the bolus calculator helping, and the ability to have very small doses is great for correction. It IS nice to add a dose of insulin without injecting, often involving partial undressing. However I don't think the technology is really reliable enough yet, if I can't even nip out for half a day without carrying a pen aswell.

I also found all the locations quite uncomfortable at first, although now we're more in summer clothes - lighter weight - that seems OK. If its as bad next winter I think pens might be a better bet.