What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Three rashers of bacon, wrapped in an oat cake and a cup of gunpowder tea. I'm currently (just past 11.00) on my third cup of coffee. I may have a piece of fruit or two during the day and then whatever my wife conjures up for our evening meal. I will TRY and stay as low carb as I can. (sigh - I'm not always very successful with this).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't have chance to post yesterday evening so doing a catch up of yesterday and a look at planned food for today!

I know this thread is about what I ate today and sticking to the right level of low carb for us as individuals but it's also important to me when I eat too. Since I started this way of eating ,nearly 5 years ago now, to put my Diabetes type 2 into remission and then maintaining , I have mainly restricted my times of eating to a maximum 'window'of 8 hours and 16 hours fasting - and many times 6 hours and 18 hours fasting, with some longer fasts especially when started on my journey. I do feel this has been an important part of managing my sugar levels for me which is why I was interested when the latest Doctors Kitchen podcast appeared on my feed about Time Restricted Eating and Diabetes by Dr Satchin Panda - its a bit long and you have to put up with some adverts but some interesting stuff on here I thought:
https://thedoctorskitchen.com/podcasts/

Yesterday
10ish a few spoons of yoghurt with my supplements
1ish 4 m and s lc seeded crackers with hm pate and portion of Kimchi followed by one strawberry chopped up with HM yoghurts and four squares of Montezumas 100 %
5ish venison meatballs in hm passata (was in slow cooker so ready when got back, before going out again!) also small glass of red wine followed by @DJC3 s chocolate chia pudding but made with my home made yoghurt rather than coconut cream.

Today
10.30 proper breakfast, for a change, of field mushrooms cooked in butter with one slice of bacon and LC toast and an egg also cooked in butter
Planning to have just yoghurt and berries about 1.30 and then main meal about 5 of lamb loin, kimchi and salads followed by a LC chocolate brownie. May well also have a small glass of red with my lamb I find they go together very well!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't have chance to post yesterday evening so doing a catch up of yesterday and a look at planned food for today!

I know this thread is about what I ate today and sticking to the right level of low carb for us as individuals but it's also important to me when I eat too. Since I started this way of eating ,nearly 5 years ago now, to put my Diabetes type 2 into remission and then maintaining , I have mainly restricted my times of eating to a maximum 'window'of 8 hours and 16 hours fasting - and many times 6 hours and 18 hours fasting, with some longer fasts especially when started on my journey. I do feel this has been an important part of managing my sugar levels for me which is why I was interested when the latest Doctors Kitchen podcast appeared on my feed about Time Restricted Eating and Diabetes by Dr Satchin Panda - its a bit long and you have to put up with some adverts but some interesting stuff on here I thought:
https://thedoctorskitchen.com/podcasts/

Do I need some special software or something to be able to get onto this podcast? To be honest, my tech-ability is about zero and I don't understand very much of what is on the website - the words may as well be in klingon as far as I'm concerned. All that comes up is a screen showing what is available without saying how to access it.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday and today usual brekkie of slice LC toast and copious tea.
Lunch yesterday was small bit of quiche, spoon coleslaw.
Supper was chicken, chorizo, red pepper and paprika stir fry with green beans.
Lunch today was two slices of ham, spoon coleslaw, cherry tomo and cucumber.
Supper is my fave of the week though not the most LC giant cod fish fingers with the remainder of the green beans from last night.
Eldest son working from home with us tomo and has offered to buy me lunch but tbh there’s no where LC ish that I can think of. The farm shop used to be helpful but they have changed their menu for the season and local pubs are useless at lunchtimes.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No time for breakfast today: Grandchildren’s school run, quick stop at M&S on the way back then Hiit session with PT. First time in over 3 months and I was quite nervous but he was very kind and didn’t try to kill me.
Lunch - M&S smoked salmon dip with SLC toast then the first taste of the yoghurt made with the culture @shelley262 recommended. It has a lovely light and mild flavour, nicer than the Yeo valley yoghurt starter I’ve used previously - thank you!
Mid afternoon a pot of M&S mixed seeds and nuts.
Dinner- venison chilli, courgette ribbons and a dollop of yoghurt on top.
IMG_1654793128.231445.jpg

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast : full fat greek yogurt, blueberries, seeds, black coffee
Lunch: coffee with cream
Dinner: planned meal out failed. :( Had to make do with the chippy. Haddock without the batter, four chips nicked from Significant Other’s plate.Mineral water, the sparkling kind.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and egg and cheese omelette, two slices of toast with some ginger marmalade for breakfast.
No smoko.
Curried lamb chops and veggies for lunch.
Small mre cottage pie,for supper at six.

Fluid intake was approx 1.4 ltrs, fluid output was 1.2.
No salt on any of the foods.

Small glass of single malt before I had an early night.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A fishy day today!
10 am - a few spoons of hm yoghurts with my supplements and usual morning black coffee.
1 ish - tin of sardines in extra virgin olive oil mixed in with portion of kimch and splash of apple cider vinegar(an organic live one) served with m and s lc seeded crackers followed by a few berries and hm yoghurts
5ish - salmon in lemon butter with cauliflower mash and local asparagus with small glass of dry white wine followed by choc chia pudding made using @DJC3 s recipe but made with hm yoghurts and also chopped up a few squares of 100% chocolate and mixed them in - delicious.
Lovely sunny day today so off to water my garden - not had to do it very often so far this growing season.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday and today usual brekkie of slice LC toast and copious tea.
Lunch yesterday was small bit of quiche, spoon coleslaw.
Supper was chicken, chorizo, red pepper and paprika stir fry with green beans.
Lunch today was two slices of ham, spoon coleslaw, cherry tomo and cucumber.
Supper is my fave of the week though not the most LC giant cod fish fingers with the remainder of the green beans from last night.
Eldest son working from home with us tomo and has offered to buy me lunch but tbh there’s no where LC ish that I can think of. The farm shop used to be helpful but they have changed their menu for the season and local pubs are useless at lunchtimes.
Despite the Eye Pavilion assuring me my eyes were doing just fine, I read that as "octopus tea!"

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: coronation chicken, coleslaw, baby toms and leafy salad followed by DGF blueberry crumble and cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday 7 June - bed 7.6 FBG 7 1. The replacement Libre is arriving today I'll be claiming fir this one too! It's even worse that the one that has just been replaced.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. Nothing - eldest grandson is now ill so had to bring him home from school at midday. He was feeling very sorry from himself.

D. After depositing both grandsons back home, M&S Chicken katsu burger with Emmental cheese slice, 1/2 avocado, santini tomatoes, port salut, walnuts, coleslaw and a little mayo.

Wednesday 8 June - bed 7.7 FBG 7.2

B. TAG and 2 M&S Crispy cheese crackers with whipped cheese. Eldest grandson still off school so just youngest being transported.

L. Nothing

D. My fishy mix of scallops, prawns, squid, mussels, spinach, santini tomatoes, exotic mushrooms.

Strawberries & cream
20220607_183506.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday 9 June bed 8.7 FBG 7 2 Both boys back to school. I had to be harsh with eldest as he was whinging about going back but I had a lot to do today before getting to tge Eye Pavilion.

B. TAG and 2 M&S crispy cheese crackers with whipped cheese.

L Another TAG before tackling Eye Pavilion.

D. 3 egg omelette with chicken, onion, mushroom. Strawberries and cream. Gin truffle

Dr said eyes are doing fine No change in long or short vision and field tests fine. Nothing sinister in photos or scans. Pressure was rising though so they've changed my drops for the glaucoma. A new combination. I told her about the conversation with the booking dept wanting me to make 5 six hour trips regarding the cataracts, and she's reassured me that there's no rush and to ignore the pressure. Just wait until they take me here. She was pretty angry about the way they treated me

Reactions: DJC3

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A fishy day today!
10 am - a few spoons of hm yoghurts with my supplements and usual morning black coffee.
1 ish - tin of sardines in extra virgin olive oil mixed in with portion of kimch and splash of apple cider vinegar(an organic live one) served with m and s lc seeded crackers followed by a few berries and hm yoghurts
5ish - salmon in lemon butter with cauliflower mash and local asparagus with small glass of dry white wine followed by choc chia pudding made using @DJC3 s recipe but made with hm yoghurts and also chopped up a few squares of 100% chocolate and mixed them in - delicious.
Lovely sunny day today so off to water my garden - not had to do it very often so far this growing season.
That 5ish meal sounds delicious.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: an odd idea I had which turned out allright - a banana frittata made with mashed very ripe banana mixed with eggs and a few slices of fresh banana.

2nd meal: smoked haddock poached in milk with some spring onions and (very risky this) some slices of parboiled potato finished in the oven with butter. BG is still allright and it was really good. Still have most of the poaching milk and will make some kind of sauce with cheese tomorrow to have with some unsmoked haddock.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very carby day today, back on the straight and narrow tomorrow.

My friend and neighbour (not the one in the garden, thankfully but the next closest one) unexpectedly died last saturday, and this morning at 10:30 was the cremation.
We had a somewhat informal get together after the official part, so breakfast at noon consisted of 3 bitterballen and a beer to drink on him for the last time.

Once I'd stabilised my bg at around 4 pm I had a sensible slice of low carb bread with cheese, tomatoes and mayo.
But for my evening meal I joined neighbour-in-the-garden and another neighbour for Chinese take-away at around 9 and more beer, no sensible choices to be had as it was simply the menu of the month for two. Decided to go all out for once so I even had a large piece of the deep fried banana in a thick layer of dough and covered in icing sugar.

Five hours on now and it looks like I'll need some more insulin still.

Wildly fluctuating BG is perfectly acceptable in my book on a day you have to say goodbye to a friend, it was a good day.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again
Brekkie as always slice LC toast and octopus no copious tea!
Yesterday lunch with son at pub in next village worked out well. When we checked in they told us fish of the day was haddock and I said its the batter that doesnt suit me. They said we can use the very minimum and let it drip off the fish before going in the fryer. That actually worked out well and they gave me a lovely fresh side salad so happy me. We sat in their pretty garden and it was a lovely treat. I didnt test when I got back but felt ok about that. Supper was salmon and asparagus baked in the oven.
Today lunch will be the last corner of quiche and cherry toms, cucumber & lettuce.
Indian t/a tonight so Tandoori King Prawns and cauli bhajee.
@Antje77 I think you did right to park the eating plan for one day in such circumstances and I hope you are soon back on track. @Annb a banana frittata sounds so decadent, when I was a child banana ice cream was a thing but I doubt it ever involved an actual banana. I’m not a pud person but in my previous life I used to love bananas baked with brown sugar and a dash of rum.