Tingling in hands and feet. Worried it could be diabetes

For the last few days, I have had consistent tingling/pins and needles in my hands and feet. It just came on all at once and has remained since, mainly at night. During the day it barely occurs. The reason I think it might be diabetes is that I consume A LOT of carbs and admittedly too much sugar. I am 6'3 and 180 lbs, however, and I don't feel any other classic diabetes symptoms, such as thirst, changes in appetite, urinating, etc. Tonight though, the pins and needles feeling is enough to keep me awake. In addition to this, I have had a somewhat high heart rate off and on too. I'm just stressed and confused right now. Has anyone else have had diabetes and its symptoms start as pins and needles, but nothing else?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be anything or nothing. I would suggest you speak to your doctor. If you are imagining and panicking then these sort of symptoms could be exacerbated by oxygen variations as you hyperventilate. Good luck!

Reactions: EllieM

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Becca. The simplest thing you can do is contact the doctor and ask for a simple blood test to check.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had neuropathy and pins and needles as my main symptom, but it was also accompanied by other issues such as excessive thirst and tongue fissures. High cholesterol can apparently cause neuropathy symptoms too, if that applies. In any event, don't worry too much: it could be diabetes, it could be nothing- it could also be a warning sign of pre-diabetes, allowing you to take action now. The smart thing to do is to get checked and then take positive actions; don't waste time upsetting yourself worrying about what it might or not be.

I had neuropathy and pins and needles as my main symptom, but it was also accompanied by other issues such as excessive thirst and tongue fissures. High cholesterol can apparently cause neuropathy symptoms too, if that applies. In any event, don't worry too much: it could be diabetes, it could be nothing- it could also be a warning sign of pre-diabetes, allowing you to take action now. The smart thing to do is to get checked and then take positive actions; don't waste time upsetting yourself worrying about what it might or not be.

Heart disease runs in my family. Diabetes doesn't in the traditional sense, although a few people in my family have problems with low blood sugar, not high. As for diabetes in my personal case, the only thing that I am experiencing is tingling, with varying levels of intensity and it seems to happen mostly at night and during part of the morning. From about 1 to 11 PM last night I didn't feel it at all, but I was active in one way or another the whole time. When does it typically occur for most people with diabetes? Soon after eating, later, etc? I do plan on seeing a doctor, as this hasn't passed like I was expecting.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, this is very difficult to diagnose here, for example, I enjoy both heart disease and diabetes but have never had tingling, you need to see your doctor. Best of luck

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer(ed) with finger tingling from time to time, but it is neck/nerve damage stemming from varifocals and a misaligned work monitor, fixed mainly with physio and chiropractor, but still triggered now and again by carrying heavy shoulder bags for example, so may be something else completely. Get the blood test!:)

Doctor told me that they don't feel the need to test for diabetes because I don't haven changes in urination, appetite, energy or vision and am of a healthy weight. The tingling still happens from time to time, but at a barely noticeable level.a