Type 1 Statin’s

Carl W

What is everyone’s thoughts about statins?? I’ve done quite a bit of research and the cons definitely outweigh the pro’s, I’m definitely thinking about coming off them.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
What is everyone’s thoughts about statins?? I’ve done quite a bit of research and the cons definitely outweigh the pro’s, I’m definitely thinking about coming off them.
Hiya, I genuinely have never researched statins for cons, what are the cons? Thanks

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Carl W

Hiya, I genuinely have never researched statins for cons, what are the cons? Thanks

There’s a lot to go into, but if you look up Dr Steven Gundry on YouTube I’m sure he has a lot of answers for the statins, any blood pressure tablets some may be on,
But from the top of my head can cause liver damage, kidney damage, muscle damage, high blood sugars, dementia to name but a few.

Carl W

Is anyone here on them? Anyone had any problems they think that’s related to them?? I’ve been on them for 3 years, and after quite a bit of research I think I can say they’re not worth what comes with them long term, so coming off them, But that’s my opinion and choice of course and wouldn’t tell anyone else to do the same. I’m no doctor

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I was born without a statin deficiency. When I was a child I saw many relatives past 3 score years and 10, and plenty of friends elderly family members.

I would prefer to keep my cholesterol where nature wants it on my ultra minimally processed Ketovore diet. Statins for me would reduce my capabilities to fight disease and support my hormone production. A pill put into production in 1976 post dates millenia of human kind doing better without it, so I for one am not interested, especially off of the back of the hypothesis for why they are here and the mortality rates of high vs low cholesterol.

Reactions: Carl W

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I think one thing that is important to remember is that high cholesterol is only a RISK FACTOR for heart disease etc, and not necessarily a key driver. It is only one of MANY risk factors. Reducing cholesterol can be questioned when it comes to final benefit. If you are already taking other measures to prevent heart disease (diet, exercise, supplements etc) or are not in direct heart failure stages, then the benefit of also taking a statin should be put in question when you consider the possible cons.

Reactions: katie505 and Carl W

Carl W

I think one thing that is important to remember is that high cholesterol is only a RISK FACTOR for heart disease etc, and not necessarily a key driver. It is only one of MANY risk factors. Reducing cholesterol can be questioned when it comes to final benefit. If you are already taking other measures to prevent heart disease (diet, exercise, supplements etc) or are not in direct heart failure stages, then the benefit of also taking a statin should be put in question when you consider the possible cons.

I couldn’t agree with you more, I’ve tried having a conversation with my diabetic team. And all I get is prevention is better than cure etc, they really don’t want to hear that I’m stopping them

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only pro’s I can think of they help prevent cholesterol and thin the blood a tiny amount, but not enough to warrant taking them I don’t think. So come to think of it. Probably none to mention really thinking about it. Ha

You do realise that without cholesterol we'd all be dead?

ur bodies are fairly capable at producing whatever we don't eat.. I'll let mine manage it rather than medication.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As this thread is presumably aimed at T1s (from the title), who are automatically considered at higher risk of CVD events, I googled to see what I could find about statins and T1s.

Looks like there may be an associated increase of 2mmol/mol in hba1c.
Statins are independently associated with increased HbA1c in type 1 diabetes--The Thousand & 1 Study - PubMed (nih.gov)

There are some papers saying it may impair your beta cell response, but that's not really relevant to someone whose beta cells are defunct...

Not great, but the real question for me is what it does to our risk of heart disease, already significant because of the T1. As a T1 for 52 years I'm on bp tablets and both my parents had CVD events, so I'm definitely in the zone for this.

I've been on statins for ten years and can't say I've noticed any positive or negative effects from them, other than a reduction in my cholesterol levels when I take them.

I have also been taking blood pressure tablets for 30 years, to reduce my levels when they went high in my late twenties. Given that high blood pressure has a detrimental effect both on kidneys and eyes I can't say for sure that this is why I still haven't needed any eye treatment and my kidneys are still working OK, but I must admit I'm happy with the result.

As a T1 I'm a big fan of medication where appropriate (hello insulin). My GPs just obey the party line on statins, but my endocrinologists are keen on me taking them, as a T1. I raise the subject every so often, but my levels do go up significantly if I stop taking them, so I continue (albeit on a low dose).

I think you have to do your own research and look at your own personal risk factors. And remember that people tend to be vocal if they have a bad reaction to a medication, less so if it doesn't seem to have any effect :).

The trouble with taking a drug as a preventative is that if you don't get the thing it's preventing then you never know whether it's because or in spite of the drug.

Reactions: T1Mike and Mrs HJG

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take a statin to help keep down my LDL ("bad") cholesterol. I started with atorvastatin a few years ago, then my doctor changed me to rosuvastatin.
The "pros" of statins are they help with LDL cholesterol numbers.
The only "con" I've experienced is a possible side effect of atorvastatin, sort of all-over body aches, and I'm not sure that statin caused them, although I don't have them on rosuvastatin.

D

Deleted member 543160

I was taking with statins long term before I was diagnosed with T2. and believe in retrospect they had a helping hand in causing it. Refusing to take them any longer bought my glucose levels down somewhat, but I never saw any apparent differences in cholesterol levels either before or after stopping them, and now prefer to let my body decide what it needs.

I'd probably take statins now if there was an obvious need for them, but never again "just because ,,,":banghead:

chrisy62

Type of diabetes
LADA
I was told I need statins because my Gad test proved positive for T1 LADA while taking them I became quite unwell, then my reminded me Consultant at hospital told me never to take them as I’ve had Pancreatitis and it not good for it. I’ve now been taken off of them and waiting to see what alternatives I can have. An injection twice a year has been mentioned. I was wondering has anyone else been on these?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a statin to help keep down my LDL ("bad") cholesterol. I started with atorvastatin a few years ago, then my doctor changed me to rosuvastatin.
The "pros" of statins are they help with LDL cholesterol numbers.
The only "con" I've experienced is a possible side effect of atorvastatin, sort of all-over body aches, and I'm not sure that statin caused them, although I don't have them on rosuvastatin.

But as LDL has in no way been proven to be causative of heart disease then why is reducing it deemed beneficial?

Reactions: Gannet

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You should only be prescribed a statin if your blood test 'lipids panel' shows your ratios are bad. I do take a low dose mainly to keep my DN happy (!) but my ratios needed tweaking. Never take statins just because you have diabetes or because the GP thinks they are a good idea. Taking them should be based on test results and not the Total figure either

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The surgery I go to now only gives total figure, which is exasperating. Also last medic I spoke to there had never heard of statins causing weight gain, BG increase or blood pressure increase.

Sometimes it's very hard to remain civil.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should only be prescribed a statin if your blood test 'lipids panel' shows your ratios are bad. I do take a low dose mainly to keep my DN happy (!) but my ratios needed tweaking. Never take statins just because you have diabetes or because the GP thinks they are a good idea. Taking them should be based on test results and not the Total figure either
And personal choice of course.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Gannet

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The surgery I go to now only gives total figure, which is exasperating. Also last medic I spoke to there had never heard of statins causing weight gain, BG increase or blood pressure increase.

Sometimes it's very hard to remain civil.
Do you have online access to your surgery system? If so, you should find your blood tests show the cholesterol breakdown. Ask for access if you don't already have it.

Reactions: EllieM