Covid 19 and diabetes.

Damonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi so my partner has had covid for 6 days now my mum us now negative and stepdad still has a faint line. On the 12th of June I started to get symptoms but I felt OK and tested negative, I had a achey body, getting chills and hot I had to correct alot as my bloods were sticking between 10.0 and 14.0mmol. Awful headaches Hardly eating anything.

That same morning woke up with dryness in mouth still which I've had for days. I felt like I had mild flu at most. After my evening meal which was only a bagal I took ibruphen meltlets as i can't swallow tablets thease are my go to when I'm sick. It helped the aches. I started to feel sick an hour after eating. I went to the toilet stools were loose, I felt like I was going to throw up It was awful. I went another 2 times that evening. No throwing up.

13th June woke up in more pain than yesterday I had half a bagal this morning then went back to bed. I checked
Ketones they are between 01. And 03 all day. My bloods have been between 9 and 14 I have to keep doing corrections to bring it down. Most of the evening sat between 10 and 11.
I had a small bit of pasta for dinner a couple hours after eating I started to feel that feeling again of sickness and needing the toilet the diarrhea was worse this time around. I went twice within 20 mins of eachother I decided to have a dioralyte incase I managed judt over half I then started to sweat everywhere then I panicked I checked my pulse Itwas between 115 and 125. I tried calming myself down I then did a blood pressure check etc top number is OK bottem was showing what pulse and oxygen reader was saying.

I did a covid test again I tested postive with a really fake line.

I contacted 111 at 8pm told them I'm calling about my pulse as its fast but I didn't have palpitstions. they said someone would call in 2 hours got to 9pm someone ring
Rang and said sorry for delay we are busy then said someone will contact you shortly. I started to feel a dull ache pain on right hand side of back bear shoulder blade. Honestly I thought is this covid lungs or is this phumonia? My partner reassured me and if elt slighly better I took ibruphen again it seemed to have took the pain in back off for a short while then incomes and goes in waves. I tried to sleep I got about an hour it was now 1am and I thought I'm gonna ring back as I've judt tested 0.5 ketones that's the hugest it's been yes I panick I have health anxiety.

I waited a further 2 hours I explained to clinician everything she honestly had no idea about diabetes as she sounded confused I was on 2 insulin amd she thought the tresibia is fast acting. Anyway I explained the pain in my upper right side of back I said I'm worried incase its the liver etc. She said you need to speak to yout out fo hours doctor tomorrow she booked me in for a call back. I didn't get much from from her other than she said 0.5 is not high ketone. Which I know it's not but it'd thr hugest I've been and what if it goes up I so feel sick and from years ago I had to go in hospital for food poisoning as throwing up caused sugars to rise and ketones so I dunno if she's right in saying speak to doctor I thouggt I would get told to go to out of hours at my local ane to be checked over. I don't know if I'm panicking or not.
I know I can go checkmyself in if I needed to as I'm type 1 diabetic so they would have to let me in with covid?

What's everyone else's experiences? I'm type 1 on novorapid and tresibia degludec.

Damonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the long post I forgot to mention that. I can't remember sick rules etc and how is it different with covid?

Also I read online that not eating can cause ketones?

I'm i meant to inject for what I eat if my bloods in range? Type one Diabetic since 2010.

Thanks reassurance is appreciated

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Damonite and I'm sorry you are unwell.

My understanding is that diabetic sick day rules can be used to help you keep your blood sugar levels under control when ill. (They guide you as to how much extra insulin to take).

I don't think the sick day rules are different with covid, it's just that you are more likely to need them because covid can make you sicker, (Disclaimer, I am not a doctor).

Here's a NHS link that may be useful
2.-Covid-19-Diabetes-Sick-Day-Rules-Type-1-MDI-06042020.pdf (england.nhs.uk)

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Damonite sorry to read that you have covid and are not feeling very good.
My understanding is that well managed diabetes should not make covid any worse than someone without diabetes.
I was unfortunate to catch covid a couple of weeks back. I was lucky that it was no worse than a cold - I have had worse colds.
For me, the most important thing was to keep my blood sugar levels down by increasing my insulin dose. High blood sugars exaggerate any aches, sniff, coughs, etc. This is the purpose of the sick day rules.

I hope your symptoms reduce soon - I tested negative 4 days after my positive test and,10 days later, I am just a little weary.

Reactions: Damonite and EllieM