Heart Surgery

cjj

Hi, anyone here had Aortic and Mitral valve replacement surgery done? Anything to know? Complications etc... I'm type 1 for 47yrs and i'm 61.
Thanks in advance

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wanted to say that I hope it all goes well for you, without any complications, and that you make a swift recovery.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to my tame mechanic, who had a valve replaced during a triple bypass, the replacement clicks and this may keep you awake for a while. Good luck.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I haven’t had same op but had a bypass last year, so no help or advice on op but please please be very clear with diabetic people that will “help” you, they put me on an insane insulin drip, it injected every hour, regardless of what I ate or wasn’t eating, my control went out of the window and because it was pre determined by invisible “experts” they wouldn’t let me take over my injections, then they was almost complaining to me that numbers were in the 20s, I told them from the start what would happen, so please be very clear during your pre op conversations about exactly what they intend to do and the reasons for it, it was horrible. I’m sure this could have been a very different experience had I had a better chat about what they would do.

lots of people in the hospital had valves done while I was in there and seemed to be recovering nicely, best of luck.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very important advice, Fenn. It's amazing what gets done and what we have to keep a watch-out for.

cjj

Hi, I haven’t had same op but had a bypass last year, so no help or advice on op but please please be very clear with diabetic people that will “help” you, they put me on an insane insulin drip, it injected every hour, regardless of what I ate or wasn’t eating, my control went out of the window and because it was pre determined by invisible “experts” they wouldn’t let me take over my injections, then they was almost complaining to me that numbers were in the 20s, I told them from the start what would happen, so please be very clear during your pre op conversations about exactly what they intend to do and the reasons for it, it was horrible. I’m sure this could have been a very different experience had I had a better chat about what they would do.

lots of people in the hospital had valves done while I was in there and seemed to be recovering nicely, best of luck.

Thanks for the heads up Outlier. Yes, and those headless decision makers don't really care I believe, because they're so tied up with red tape and administrative "do's n don't's" the real care aspect of not listening to the patient can often be too late.

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had Aortic valve replacement & double bypass surgery done about 6 years ago & same as you type 1 for over 45yrs, approx.59 when had surgery

If the replacement is a mechanical one (mine is) there are other types

some people say they can hear it click depending how you lay

Also If it’s a mechanical valve you will be put on blood thinning tablets after the op mine is warfarin
you will just need to be a bit careful if you using things like a wet shaver

I use a Libre for Blood levels but when I do a blood test it does bleed for quite some time after &

it’s very easy to get bruises

The hospital I was in was more than happy to let me & other Diabetics in my Bay control there Diabetes (injections) if we felt comfortable doing it as they said we knew our own needs as far as Diabetic control & they wanted to concentrate on the heart care

I hope it all goes well for you Good Luck

I say this with a smile on my face

& Times have moved on but

After the op & you’re eating again the stuff they give you to get you going to the loo again is “Pure Rocket Fuel”

Reactions: Hopeful34 and cjj

cjj

I have had Aortic valve replacement & double bypass surgery done about 6 years ago & same as you type 1 for over 45yrs, approx.59 when had surgery

If the replacement is a mechanical one (mine is) there are other types

some people say they can hear it click depending how you lay

Also If it’s a mechanical valve you will be put on blood thinning tablets after the op mine is warfarin
you will just need to be a bit careful if you using things like a wet shaver

I use a Libre for Blood levels but when I do a blood test it does bleed for quite some time after &

it’s very easy to get bruises

The hospital I was in was more than happy to let me & other Diabetics in my Bay control there Diabetes (injections) if we felt comfortable doing it as they said we knew our own needs as far as Diabetic control & they wanted to concentrate on the heart care

I hope it all goes well for you Good Luck

I say this with a smile on my face

& Times have moved on but

After the op & you’re eating again the stuff they give you to get you going to the loo again is “Pure Rocket Fuel”

Hey thanks. The surgeon did say if I choose mechanical it would mean warfarin. But i'm tagging with the idea to have bovine but def not porcine. But still undecided. Not sure the animal bits inside me would give me comfort. And the healing process, pain, toilet, etc freaks me a little I live on my own too and don't have family left and in quite an isolated area so not sure how all that will work out with aftercare!

Reactions: Bexy190

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only know from what I was told at the time of my valve replacement (Again 6-7year ago) &

Procedures have (Changed) & Improved there may be very little difference between the different types anymore

In my case the consultant said at the age I was it would be better to have the mechanical one it lasts a lot longer than
bovine or porcine types did at that time

Saving me from coming back later in life to have the procedure done again

If you’re not sure which type is best for you it might be as well to ask if you haven’t already done so
how long each of the different replacements last

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, anyone here had Aortic and Mitral valve replacement surgery done? Anything to know? Complications etc... I'm type 1 for 47yrs and i'm 61.
Thanks in advance
No advice on the op but try and get someone to bring you in decent food (fish, meat, cheese, eggs, plain yoghurt) and not the hospital stuff and especially anything labelled as 'diabetic' unless things have changed.
Very best of luck with the op though.

cjj

I only know from what I was told at the time of my valve replacement (Again 6-7year ago) &

Procedures have (Changed) & Improved there may be very little difference between the different types anymore

In my case the consultant said at the age I was it would be better to have the mechanical one it lasts a lot longer than
bovine or porcine types did at that time

Saving me from coming back later in life to have the procedure done again

If you’re not sure which type is best for you it might be as well to ask if you haven’t already done so
how long each of the different replacements last

Thanks NicoleC, yes, i'll have to speak to them again regarding this. The more I get thinking here, the more I don't want no animal bits inside me keeping me alive regardless how long they last and I'm having two valves not just one replaced. I'm on a P2 waiting list an ASAP one but prob won't happen until sometime in August.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may find tht your best friend during the post op recovery will be a rolled up towel wrapped in tape. I called mine Floppydoggerel after one of my medications. It is there to assist coughing up the plegm after the op. Before the op, practice standing up from a sitting position without using your hands.