Heart rate and low carb diet

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read this chain with intecarbsrest as My heart rate is under investigation at 100 bpm and high blood pressure.
Type 2 for eight years , don't check my glucose as I'm told NO NEED ! last dibetic check up HbA1c pre dibetic level and at the 3 months diat I have been using a 50 Gramm a day guide.
This is now an insight why my bp has gone up and never thought about it. I shall follow this chain of comments

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My heart rate is usually around 60 to 65 bpm when I take my blood pressure - but my blood glucose is also very stable and doesn't go low.
I have powered up the blood pressure monitor after a visit to the GP clinic - after discussing what my husband had done to our financial situation my blood pressure had gone up considerably.

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
I have been on Michael Mosley's 800 cal , No Carb diet since 2016. My HbA1c is 37. I have been in remission for 6 years. I combine the diet with intensive exercise of over 1 hour at the gym 3 days per week (raising the pulse rate to 150 - 160. My resting heart rate is in the region of 38 to 44. It has always been at this level; there has been no change in it connected with the low carb diet. Can't say any more than that. Try the diet; it works !

Reactions: Oldvatr

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Try the diet; it works !

I thought the 800cal diet was only meant to be followed for 12 weeks, or till a healthy bmi is achieved, whichever comes first? I'd be concerned about recommending a long term 800 cal diet to anyone.

Having said that, if it works for you, well done on your remission.

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
Yes, sorry. You are correct that the diet is not intended to last 6 years ! I did it for 8 weeks, which is what Michael suggested in order to “reverse my diabetes”. It worked like a charm ! Michael didn’t specify what you should do, precisely, after the 8 weeks was up. So, we “adapted” it somewhat. This consisted of basically following the diet, but relaxing it from time to time. So, I am still on the diet the majority of the time, but I relax it to include the occasional pizza & the, occasionally more frequent, bread &, or, dark chocolate & crisps. I have had no setbacks with this, other than a very slight increase in my blood sugar levels. These remain well within the accepted parameters. My one “failure” is that I get a pre-breakfast surge of about 7.3 occasionally. This almost always reverts to 7.0 ,or well less, one & a half hrs after breakfast.
The other essential is the exercise, which I have managed to maintain despite fracturing my pelvis sixteen months ago. During the period that I was in Hospital, & for two months, or so, afterwards, I was unable to maintain the diet & exercise, & my blood sugar levels were “disappointing”. But, as soon as I got back to “normal”, my remission continued.
I would recommend this regime to anyone whose doctor goes along with it.

kareeta77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
t took me abut ten years to figure out my palpitations were linked to hypo's. Was such a relief when I realised!