Am I crazy?

Kimble73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it just me, I’m newly diagnosed, but I am really grieving for food, I’m in deep mourning for the comfort and support I felt with the foods I loved, almost like the world is spinning around me and there is nothing to hold on to….am I alone..?
No your not going crazy I grieved all the foods I loved, it is a grief, I still crave and I cried to it is a grief process, look on the Canadian diabetes site it talks about grief, it takes a lot of time to get through all this.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you're having trouble motivating yourself ask yourself, "Which would I rather give up: my favourite foods or my toes?"
It makes the diet feel like a great option!

I got my HbA1c down from 91 to 43 in nine weeks just by eliminating sugar and carbs (grains, pasta, rice and potato). After a further 11 weeks it was down to 41.

Hey,

Was it just this you did or did you up exercise/introduce fasting to your regime as well? That’s one impressive drop!!

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it just me, I’m newly diagnosed, but I am really grieving for food, I’m in deep mourning for the comfort and support I felt with the foods I loved, almost like the world is spinning around me and there is nothing to hold on to….am I alone..?

I don’t think you are crazy, on the other hand not sure about myself. I have quite a different approach. I am pre (10 yrs) taking no medicine and my numbers are almost or always in the non diabetic range and I will always be pre.

My different approach, got to get kicks somewhere else beside food and I am successful. Eat fresh, no can food. I like 100% or 95% dark chocolate and only black coffee. Indeed very very little carbs.

Reactions: Outlier

Higaomo

If you're having trouble motivating yourself ask yourself, "Which would I rather give up: my favourite foods or my toes?"
It makes the diet feel like a great option!
Agreed - my motivational mantra is “yes, I miss potatoes, but I’d miss feet and eyesight much more”

valann

Some amazing advice here it definitely feels like total Grief here too. I'm just amazed at what these carbs are doing..
Ditto! I too miss some of my old foods, never did eat much potato, just small amounts when I did but I certainly miss Pasta and rice big time. But a month in on a Low Carb diet and I'm finding it easier by the day especially as now my body loves Low Carb and other medical conditions are benefiting too I intend to stick to it.

Reactions: Higaomo

valann

Definitely not alone WendyAF, if you need something to hold onto then this forum is a good place to start ;)
Welcome :)

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
No it's not just you. I went through that too. In time you begin to love the foods you can eat and the feeling they give you when you know they are healing you.

70% dark chocolate helped me. Just one or two squares a day was plenty. I worked my way up to 99% which has an even lower carb content.

Raspberries and cream, or just coffee and cream also help me.

After a while you find new comfort foods, so don't despair.
Test your blood sugar after you eat. When you see fab numbers you kno you are staying healthy and eating the right thing. This makes me not grieve chocolate, cakes, huge bags of crisps etc. X

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No your not going crazy I grieved all the foods I loved, it is a grief, I still crave and I cried to it is a grief process, look on the Canadian diabetes site it talks about grief, it takes a lot of time to get through all this.

Is there a link to that site?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No not crazy, as we are all saying :). I strongly believe in finding low-carb substitutes for beloved high-carb foods. I keep great recipe books now, and run a lively kitchen. And definitely find your healthiest lowest insulin/glucose response sugar substitute. Mine is stevia.

Oh! And it is absolutely possible and probable that one day you will taste your high-carb former treats, and you could very well be disgusted how horribly sweet they are! And are very grateful for tasty low-carb foods and treats, without feeding the sugar-addiction.

D

Deleted member 556660

Hello @WendyAF and welcome,

How are you going now?

You are definitely not alone. If you read my early threads you will see I had myself a real pity party. It was thanks to the people here that I was able to make the jump to low carb and thrive. I still have a sweet tooth and still love carbs but (and it's a big but) I am doing so much better than before my diagnosis eating very low carb. My asthma is gone.

Welcome!
It's funny you should mention the asthma - mine is much improved on a low carb diet too..... not gone yet, but obviously there's hope! :)

D

Deleted member 556660

Like others here, I cried that I couldn't have all the things I liked... but I'm slowly finding other things instead. I didn't have any symptoms pre diagnosis - and only found out on an annual blood test. It was an awful shock, and I may have shouted at a lot of people about how unfair etc..... I had a tiny sip though of my other half's sugary coke and it tasted horrible... I'm obviously adapting to 'better' food.. I'm finding this forum really supportive. Much more so than some Facebook groups I've looked at.