GP not sending medical exemption certificate

qwerty123456

Hi all! So last week I received an enquiry letter from the NHS Business Services Authority saying that during February, I claimed a free prescription because I ‘have a valid medical exemption certificate’. I didn’t by the way fill out this prescription, someone from my hospital did so on my behalf. The problem is, I don’t have a medical exemption certificate because I was told in the past that I don’t need one because I’m diabetic and have been for the past 6 years (I am now currently 21). But after receiving this letter, it turns out I should have had one all along. And in the letter it says that if I am unable to prove that I am entitled to free nhs prescriptions, I will have to pay a penalty. I was told to apply for a medical exemption certificate and the penalty will be waived. So I went to my gp last week and filled out the application form and they said they will get the doctor to sign it and it will be sent off tonight. Turns out they lied because I called them today (8 days later) to see if they sent it and they said they haven't (whilst being rude throughout the call). Now I am absolutely fuming. On top of that, I stressed once again the importance of sending this form off urgently otherwise I'll have to pay a fine and the lady just said 'OK' and hung up. If I don't get this certificate within the next 2 weeks, I will have to pay this penalty. What can I do guys? I have no faith that my GP will send it off in time.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @qwerty123456. Sorry you've had all this hassle. You could ring/write a complaint to the GP Practice Manager saying what happened, and asking for it in writing that it's been sent off, and why did it not go originally?

Or you could ring the number on the letter you received, and explain what's happened, followed up by a letter to the surgery, with a copy to NHS Business Services Authority. Hope you get it sorted soon.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to fill out a form and I never got round to it. Then last time I went to get my medicine from the chemist, the prescription had 'excempt' written on it and therefore I didn't pay. I wonder if we're now in the same boat!

qwerty123456

Welcome to the forum @qwerty123456. Sorry you've had all this hassle. You could ring/write a complaint to the GP Practice Manager saying what happened, and asking for it in writing that it's been sent off, and why did it not go originally?

Or you could ring the number on the letter you received, and explain what's happened, followed up by a letter to the surgery, with a copy to NHS Business Services Authority. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Unfortunately, I don't think a letter of complaint to my GP will do anything, they are so incredibly incompetent. As for the NHS BSA, I don't know what to ask for them to ease the burden

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make a face to face appointment with the GP. Take a new completed copy of the form. Don't leave until it's signed. Sometimes direct action is the only way. (Don't be rude or abusive, just keep insisting until you have the signed copy in your hands)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may not ease the burden, but if your GP isn't carrying out their job properly (they are obliged to send these forms off for patients), then the NHS needs to know!! Putting it in writing with copies of letters (recorded delivery), proves you have tried to get the exemption certificate, and it's the GP surgery that haven't done their job.

Alternatively, if it's easy for you to get to the surgery you could go and ask for it to be signed and post it yourself. If they refuse, ask to speak to the Practice Manager.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make a face to face appointment with the GP. Take a new completed copy of the form. Don't leave until it's signed. Sometimes direct action is the only way. (Don't be rude or abusive, just keep insisting until you have the signed copy in your hands)
If it's anything like my surgery face to face appointments are still impossible to get, even weeks ahead.

qwerty123456

The staff at my GP are so rude, infact, my GP has a 2 star rating. So if I try the approach of not leaving till they sign it, it will just annoy them more and then they definitely won't help me. Is it not possible for me to ask my nurse/doctor to fill out the form instead?

qwerty123456

It may not ease the burden, but if your GP isn't carrying out their job properly (they are obliged to send these forms off for patients), then the NHS needs to know!! Putting it in writing with copies of letters (recorded delivery), proves you have tried to get the exemption certificate, and it's the GP surgery that haven't done their job.

Alternatively, if it's easy for you to get to the surgery you could go and ask for it to be signed and post it yourself. If they refuse, ask to speak to the Practice Manager.

Honestly if I confront them in person and ask for the manager they'll lie and say he/she is not here or whats worse, the manger will be in on the act aswell. It looks like I'll have to pay the fine now due to their incompetency.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exemption Certificates are only valid if issued by a GP. They will not issue one if you are controlling by lifestyle or diet only. You must be taking a prescribed diabetic medication to control your condition to be considered.