Freestyle Libra 2 inaccuracy

marrt60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Compared with finger prick my Freestyle Libra 2 sensor test results are always between 2 and 7 points high ie FSL2 reads 16 finger prick reads 9.8 and FSL2 reads 4.5 on alarm but finger prick shows 2.8. I have set low sugar alarm at 5 and I have switched off high sugar alarm as I am Type 1 and very rarely hit true high sugar levels. Good point is it is essential for diabetic drivers as it overstates emergencies and draws attention to sugar levels for corrective action. If this accuracy could be improved this could be a much better system as it does give assurance when on journeys of all kinds.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you taken into consideration the known limitations of all CGMs which have been documented many times on this forum and others?

marrt60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I have viewed many comments on this and other CGM systems and as I said in my case the errors are on the safe side - they all tend to exaggerate the true sugar content - and I’m sure that they will improve as new algorithmic calculations are developed with further research.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I am on my 3rd sensor in a fortnight - it was going great for the first 10 days, then the first started going more than 0.5 higher then failed completely, the second lasted 24hrs and was still a little high, but the 3rd now on for 24hrs is all over the place, had a big red hypo in the night apparently, then way up high (for me and my salad) after 2hrs after lunch at 8.7, but my fingerpick test was 6.0. It's also a stinging one, so I will give it another 24hrs, then I'll be back onto Abbott, but I don't want to ditch this one as I am waiting on the 2 replacements and repeat prescription not yet due.

I asked the Diabetes nurses via email how accurate they were finding them, and did their other patients report big inaccuracies, or was it my bad luck, they said to ask Abbott, who are firmly closed-mouthed but sorry, (and secretly just relieved I did not lose consciousness!).

Just frustrating as my first was literally just 0.5 high every time I checked (once or twice a day as it was all new), and now not sure whether to believe it. Must say that I had the first on for 30hrs before activating, the others just stuck on and scanned with 1hr warm up. As/if/when I get to day 13 I will be putting the next one on early.

Glad I am not using mine for insulin dosing or reliant for driving yet, hoping they improve the accuracy at the same rate as my insulin declines!

Reactions: Speedbird