A question or two

CallMeAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Diagnosed in April 2021, with HbA1C of 67 and put on Metformin, 500 twice per day. With hard (and hungry!) work I got that down to 40 by August 2021. Not had another blood test since then.

I measure my glucose twice a day with a Tee2, mid-afternoon and a couple of hours after dinner. I've pricked my fingers just over 600 times now and record my results religiously. The current overall averages are 6.4 for the afternoon and 6.6 after dinner. Lunch is either not at all or perhaps a small can of mackerel, dinner is more or less carbs free, no potatoes or rice, but I will confess to a mid-afternoon choc digestive or two and sometimes a bar of chocolate after dinner. I couldn't resist a Magnum ice cream the other day when out with my grandson and my evening readings seemed to be unaffected, to my surprise. I have no adverse symptoms.

So I wondered really what everybody thought of my averages, but in particular I was wondering what a non-diabetic could expect their readings to look like when following a reasonably normal diet, which would include chips and rice and bread and so on?

Just wondering!

Alan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had levels under 7 for the after meal tests when I was seeing just at the top of normal Hba1c tests.
You should have had further tests by now. Maybe ask your surgery?
These days I do, once in a while eat something with more carbs than the usual limit of 10 percent - but I have had years of normal numbers now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@CallMeAlan just thought you might like to see the NICE guidelines on Type 2 care. If you scroll down to section 6.1 you will see you are entitled to 6 monthly HbA1c s. I would request a new HbA1c to take out any doubt about your current numbers.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you're testing after the low/zero carb lunch/dinner but not after the biscuits or Magnum.
Think you should test @1 hour & @2 hours post the naughty list stuff too to get a better picture.

As @Rachox says above an fresh HbA1c will give a good idea on your overall averages.

This is what a non-diabetics glucose looks like while eating 300-350g of crabs per day
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ine-normal-glucose-the-results-are-in.182221/

CallMeAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for the replies. I think the clue is really that I need a new HbA1C test.