Diabetes Burnout.

Cla!r24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, cruelty, slow internet
Going through this for too long. Time to try and do something about it.

D

Deleted member 489048

Fed up of being spoke to like I'm age 4! Fed up of not being listened to when I say I do the best I can and they decided it is not enough. Stopped finger stick testing and readings. All got too much. Now this DN is driving me mad! Had enough!

D

Deleted member 489048

Recently sent in an email stating I'm back to taking 1 tablet a day as my body can't cope with taking 1000mg of metformin a day. As to be precise 'it runs the guts out of me'! As previously when speaking to the DN and she asked what adverse effect? I said 'toilet wise!' So just thought be bit more direct this time round. Isn't happy that my blood glucose isn't coming down fast enough. Thinks can just pop the pill and abracadabra hey presto! Blood sugars will be 5! Not that it takes time for it to happen and at some point I would like to go outside at some point this decade!!! Without 'restrictions'.

• Hug
Reactions: filly and valann

JHPH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that ozampic thing, who would have thought there would be a shortage lol

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Dumplings, weetabix and bananas are very high carb products and this is the reason why you are having problems. You do not really need breakfast, as bulkrider has already said.
Low carb diet is very high in fibre anyway, no need to worry.

• Agree
Reactions: filly

mj224

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Noise and nagging
My breakfast is porridge. Oats are carbs, but are supposed to be slow-release, thus damping down any hunger for a snack mid-morning..

Good or bad???

Reactions: SaskiaKC

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My breakfast is porridge. Oats are carbs, but are supposed to be slow-release, thus damping down any hunger for a snack mid-morning..

Good or bad???
Try using a blood glucose monitor as it will show you what foods do to your body. Test immediately before eating, then 2 hours after. If the difference between the 2 readings is over 2 then that food was not so good for you.

Most of us with diabetes type 2 would find oats too high and keep full without snacking by having protein for breakfast, eggs, bacon, meat, fish, thick greek yoghurt etc.

Search around the forum there's loads of breakfast ideas and info on testing

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Good or bad???
As MrsA2 says, best to buy a monitor and test, Its the only way to determine if you are able to tolerate porridge or any other foods. Unfortunately when it comes to people with diabetes, slow releasing carbs is not slow releasing. Its just that the health professionals have not caught on yet that people with diabetes react differently than those without.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Try using a blood glucose monitor as it will show you what foods do to your body. Test immediately before eating, then 2 hours after. If the difference between the 2 readings is over 2 then that food was not so good for you.

Most of us with diabetes type 2 would find oats too high and keep full without snacking by having protein for breakfast, eggs, bacon, meat, fish, thick greek yoghurt etc.

Search around the forum there's loads of breakfast ideas and info on testing
Hi MrsA2
Congratulations on your weight loss and blood glucose levels, I am trying the low carb diet but how do you maintain your weight and blood glucose levels after you’ve lost the weight, how does it work when you no longer stay on the low carb diet because you’ve reached your goal weight.
I’ve been type2 for 22+years and finding even though I’ve been put on Gliclizide to regulate my blood glucose recently any small amount of carbs shoots my BG up. But on my diabetic review recently I was told we all need a certain amount of carbs to help our brain and body to function properly, any help on maintaining weight loss etc would really help me to keep it off. Granny_grump

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MrsA2
Congratulations on your weight loss and blood glucose levels, I am trying the low carb diet but how do you maintain your weight and blood glucose levels after you’ve lost the weight, how does it work when you no longer stay on the low carb diet because you’ve reached your goal weight.
I’ve been type2 for 22+years and finding even though I’ve been put on Gliclizide to regulate my blood glucose recently any small amount of carbs shoots my BG up. But on my diabetic review recently I was told we all need a certain amount of carbs to help our brain and body to function properly, any help on maintaining weight loss etc would really help me to keep it off. Granny_grump
I do stay with eating low carb, it is a way of eating for life, not just a short term diet.
I disagree that we need any processed carbs for body and brain to function properly. I am fit, well and intelligent and look very young for my age. I eat well, eating a variety of proteins, dairy, fats, veg, nuts and olives. I have a little fruit, local and seasonal but only about the equivalent of 1/3 of a portion a day. I drink alcohol in moderation, say 2 drinks a week on average. I eat 85% dark chocolate and cook my own low carb "treats".
Life I good on this way of eating, my weight maintains itself and my bg is still "in remission " Why would I wan to stop something that is working so well?

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MrsA2
Hi
granny grump.

Obviously you cannot tolerate carbs. I would ignore what you have been told when you were at your last diabetic review, otherwise they will be adding more medication. carry on low carbing that will help maintain weight loss.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BG today @ 8.40am was 6.8mmol
But last nights evening meal I had Carrot and Corriander soup +1 slice bread cup of tea 2hours later BG was 10.4 from BG at lunchtime was 5.7.
That’s a huge increase from a tin of soup but suppose the answer is in the ingredients ie:Carrot + bread well that’s another food off my list. K

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But last nights evening meal I had Carrot and Corriander soup +1 slice bread cup of tea 2hours later BG was 10.4 from BG at lunchtime was 5.7.
That’s a huge increase from a tin of soup but suppose the answer is in the ingredients ie:Carrot + bread well that’s another food off my list. K
This is why checking glucose levels, because it pin point the very foods which cannot be tolerated. Also if it was tinned soup, I would suspect that there was additional carbohydrates. All way's check ingredients, particularly total carbs, rule of thumb is 5g per 100g or less of carbohydrates.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is why checking glucose levels, because it pin point the very foods which cannot be tolerated. Also if it was tinned soup, I would suspect that there was additional carbohydrates. All way's check ingredients, particularly total carbs, rule of thumb is 5g per 100g or less of carbohydrates.
@pixie1 Thanks for the information on amount of carbs per 100g will try and remember that if my little grey cells will allow me. Old age and dry rot was how my mother used to explain it if she forgot something!!!!!K

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!

Good or bad???
I eat oats, either cooked or soaked over night with milk. To either I add a scoop of mixed seeds, chia, pumpkin, sunflower, poppy seeds etc to help slow down absorption. I feel the over night oats maybe a better alternative as the milk overnight gives the oats time to soak up and swell. You could probably microwave or boil if you wanted them hot.

Reactions: mj224

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
I thought carrots could be high in carbs and cooking the item can make it more and pureed too

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb diet is very high in fibre anyway, no need to worry.
Can you say more about this, please? With examples of low-carb foods that are high in fiber? One of my problems with foods is juggling fiber and carbs.