What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This evening's meal was based upon butcher's pigasaurus chops. They are so named (by us) because they are huge, and cut very thick so that they cook well enough surrounding the bone, but don't become dry. MrB has been perfecting his cooking of these (in the airfryer) for a while.

Well, this evening I am delighted to announce perfection and the best crackling EVER. Not just best pork chop crackling, but best pork crackling - EVER. It was tall, fluffy, cut with a knife, but the fat had rendered beautifully.

Needless to say there were no photographs!

He can make that again. My hero. :happy::happy:

I’m not hungry but the thought of a pigasaurus chop with crackling has made my mouth water!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 55123
A few fermenting projects today - photo is of today’s cultured vegetables, OH isn’t keen on cabbage so am trying a mix of the veg he loves and also going for naturally sweeter produce to hopefully convert him to kimchi. This one has three apples mixed with lemon zest and chopped ginger then mixed with raw grated organic beetroot and thinly sliced celery all in a brine. Will taste in 3 days and if ready will be moved to fridge where it can live for up to 9 months. Although the fruit and veg used are higher in sugar than others I use this high sugar content should reduce to almost zero as the live bacteria grow and eat the sugar as part of fermentation. In addition apple peel in particular is wonderful food for the gut bacteria Akkermansia - which promotes a thicker moucous lining that protects the whole gut and also helps other good bacteria to flourish.
@DJC3 ive also been experimenting with producing yoghurt just from room temperature organic uht milk - just mixing in a few teaspoons of inulin to the starter yoghurt to add some thickness and it’s not as thick as the one using cream and scalding milk and cream first but it’s not too thin - work in progress will let you know. My kefir grains are still being activated hopefully will be useable tomorrow.
10ish my overnight hm yoghurts with seeds served with a few berries
1ish spoon each of kimchi and sauerkraut with cheese and lc seeded crackers followed by more hm yoghurts, some chopped apple peel and berries and 100% chocolate
5ish lamb chops served with sauerkraut and tomato and basil salad with glass of red wine followed by more hm yoghurts and a few berries- my first garden raspberries this year.

That looks such a beautiful colour.
I’ve also tried some not quite room temp yoghurt - in the airing cupboard actually so it’s just a bit warmer. It worked very well. I’ve currently got a batch with inulin cooking in the IP just using UHT milk which suits me as I can’t be trusted to watch a pan of milk and stop it boiling over.
It still seems that yoghurt, even long fermented, is spiking my BG and I’m quite cheesed off about it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the fridge gravel info @MrsA2 - great idea.
Todays food:
B- h/m yoghurt with seeds
L- Brie, ham, sauerkraut, olives. I’m trying to wean myself off pudding so had a microwaved egg afterwards. Not the same thing at all but actually it worked as it put a bit of time in between eating and my stomach realising it had food in it.
D- Duck breast cooked sous vide yesterday but longer than @maglil55 ‘s as these were enormous. Nearly 400g each. Who knew ducks could be so well endowed? Crisped up in airfryer today and served with stir fry veg. Fabulous. 2 glasses red and a dollop of stewed rhubarb after.
IMG_1656100243.535674.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 1 apricot with handful pecans chopped into ff greek
L: blue cheese on 2 crackers. Hm lc coffee cake with cream
D: 2 pork medallions in mushrooms and cream. Fried courgette. Boiled broccoli. More hm lc coffee cake. Large white wine.

Somewhere in the day another 2 apricots have disappeared into my mouth. I was supposed to be testing them with libre, but replacement only just arrived and I can't decide when to use it. Might save it for upcoming trip in 2 weeks but will have to stay away from fruit bowl meanwhile

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks such a beautiful colour.
I’ve also tried some not quite room temp yoghurt - in the airing cupboard actually so it’s just a bit warmer. It worked very well. I’ve currently got a batch with inulin cooking in the IP just using UHT milk which suits me as I can’t be trusted to watch a pan of milk and stop it boiling over.
It still seems that yoghurt, even long fermented, is spiking my BG and I’m quite cheesed off about it.
Wonder if kefir would cause same reaction?

Reactions: DJC3

Mezza n

I make it with 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder and 100g coconut cream ( or coconut milk which is usually slightly higher carb) plus a drop of vanilla extract if I have any. Mix together and leave in the fridge for an hour or 2.
I used to make it with zero carb almond milk but I needed to add a sweetener then.
There are lots of recipes around, here’s the diet doctor one: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chia-pudding
I think @Rachox sometimes uses a flavoured Actimel for a change.

Thank you I will be trying this recipe x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder if kefir would cause same reaction?

I’ve wondered the same, but Water kefir still contains some sugar so Im a bit too much of a wuss to try it. I might just have to stick to the fermented veg, or much smaller quantities of yoghurt if the 36hr cultures are still an issue. Otherwise I might try a non dairy base and see what happens.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, egg and cheese omelettte, mushrooms for breakfast.
Grilled rib steaks, green veggies, splash of buttered mushroom gravy for lunch.
JO's fishcakes for supper at six.

Small glass of single malt whisky and a early night to bed listen to ABC Jazz.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So that paleo loaf is supposed to cut into 16 slices? Would it?
Perhaps if you froze it and used a slicer!

Would hardly be worth calling such a small piece a slice! Mind with 14g carb in the whole loaf, it barely matters.

Mind most things have unrealistic portion sizes - most times the meat I buy in the supermarket says it’ll feed 4 and yet it’s perfect for one or one and a bit meals for me. Perhaps it’ll feed 4 loading up on all sorts of other stuff I’d rather avoid.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps if you froze it and used a slicer!

Would hardly be worth calling such a small piece a slice! Mind with 14g carb in the whole loaf, it barely matters.

Mind most things have unrealistic portion sizes - most times the meat I buy in the supermarket says it’ll feed 4 and yet it’s perfect for one or one and a bit meals for me. Perhaps it’ll feed 4 loading up on all sorts of other stuff I’d rather avoid.

Agree about meat portion sizes. When I was at school we were told how to calculate the amount of meat we’d need in a recipe - portion sizes per person = 4oz ( 100g) off the bone and 6oz ( 150g) if on the bone. But I guess that assumed a plateful of spuds too

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As usual recently - too stiff and sore to move much, so another breakfast sandwich - ham this time. My chair is too close to the bread bin for comfort, but it's good on days like this when I can't crawl around the place. (Last night Em asked me why I walk like a penguin - when I can walk at all.)

Later I hope to have freed up a bit and will have the piece of haddock that Neil bought for me just baked with butter and a little salt and pepper. Probably should have some vegetable with it. Possibly just a bed of lettuce.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ridiculous really to have my diet dictated by my ability to get around the house. I'm rethinking getting out to the back porch fridge to get fish out and might just have a couple of sausages out of the kitchen fridge with some mushrooms - already cooked ready to make a pate with them. I don't want to admit to Neil that I can't do it and have to ask him to get it for me. Sausages will do and I'll have the fish tomorrow. I should have asked Em before she went off with her mum just after she had her brunch (bacon and tomato ketchup).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling stuffed.

Just finished some delicious pork belly slow cooked in the air fryer - used the ‘foil box’ approach. Crackling wasn’t perfect but pretty good all the same. Took longer than I thought to cook, so I had a ‘starter’ of a piece of yesterday’s bread toasted with one of the 3 cheeses I bought this morning. Definitely improved the bread! Have also eaten some more of the brownie, cream and yoghurt.

1E0412EA-A9CF-4AD9-949C-DB75CA52338A.jpeg 0B61130A-50DD-4DF4-9E8D-EA450CE23DC5.jpeg 23C57F78-404C-433E-96FA-EB25CEDF667D.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well back to slice LC toast for brekkie, lots of tea.
Yesterday lunch was most of pack of turkey from M&S, spoon coleslaw followed by cup of tea.
Supper was Fish Finger Firsday a day later with a spoon of peas.
Finally got out to do my weekly post hols shopping for the week this morning.
Lunch was 2 mini fritatas, one cherry tom, 2 inches cucumber and small spoon coleslaw.
Tonight is Indian t/a for me Tandoori King Prawns and cauli bhajee.
I know lots of us buy DGF cakes. I am a fairly new convert certainly in the last year. They are expensive so I don’t buy them often but they sent me a voucher recently and I ordered 3 boxes. They arrived the day before we went away, longer than expected, and they had suffered badly in the heat and were quite molten. I put them in the fridge for a couple of hours and then because we were going away needed to portion them and put in a box in the freezer. They are frozen all mishapen and I feel a bit cheated. What do you all think about them?