New Insulin

Niamh1

Hi everyone I have started my new insulin Lyumjev but when i inject i get a sting from this injection is this normal and should i carry on using this insulin

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lyumjev stung a bit for me as well, and I've heard it's common.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ok thanks but did you carry on using it
For a while, but I liked my Fiasp better (mainly because I use Fiasp with a pen with a memory for your last dose) so I went back to Fiasp.

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The same for me for a while

Now ether my body’s got used to & it doesn’t sting it or I’ve just stopped noticing.

Again ether way still very happy with it & still using it

Reactions: Antje77

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes
I had been on the same Insulin for a long time (NovoRapid) & it was taking so long to kick in and bring my levels down
that one lot of insulin was still working by the next meal time so I ended up what “DAFNE” calls Insulin Stacking

Lyumjev at the moment works brilliantly for me it brings my level back down very fast
my HbA1 is the best it’s been for ages

Only problem getting used to working out which foods will need a split injection otherwise Insulin used up before all the carbs from the food have got in my body

Niamh1

good to hear I am currently doing the DAFNE course and the dietician advised of this injection I am so confused in what to do

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was was in a different place I had already made my mind up something had to change I could not go on with my levels the way they were then at my last check up at xmas my Hosp Diabetic team said try this new Insulin it may work a lot better for you so I went for it.

I hope you can work out what’s best for you

But in the end only you can make the choice & if you did change how worse off you would be

Niamh1

great thanks for your replay like I said I can't see any difference and my control of my sugar levels are decent for now. just to ask you do you not have the pump

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No the idea of being attached 24h*7d is not for me + until a fully closed loop system comes readily available on NHS without jumping through hoops to get to get it

I’m happy the way I am

I fear it will be bad enough just trying to get a Libre 3 in my area

Niamh1

I see that's fair enough I want a pump but I have only been diagnosed for a year so they wont give my one yet I hate having to inject every time I eat pump's a lot easier. one thing that i don't like is that they are creating the artificial pancreas but they cant give you want you want

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope someday they do find a cure or make artificial pancreas anything so Diabetics can stop me Injecting
I’ve been waiting for this (injecting) for over 45 years.

Maybe one Day

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry there should not be a "me" it should read
I hope someday they do find a cure or make artificial pancreas anything so Diabetics can stop Injecting
I’ve been waiting for this (injecting) for over 45 years.

Maybe one Day

Rjenista

Hi all, I wanted to contribute to this discussion about Lyumjev.

I have been using the Omnipod pump system for several years with various fast acting insulins (Humalog and Novalog mostly) depending on what my insurance preferred to cover. I rarely ever had issues, but occasionally would get bruising or bleeding at the canula site.

This year, I have new insurance which preferred Lyumjev. I did not noticed a difference in its efficacy, but immediately felt the difference in comfort. Every time I dial in a bolus I feel the sting from the Lyumjev. And now, consistently, the site where the canula inserts bruises easily and it's always bleeding by the second or third day of wearing the pump. The stinging is often intensified because the site is bruised.

I was given a 90 day supply from my pharmacy, and was determined to use it all, but I had my doctor switch my prescription to a different insulin because the Lyumjev is so uncomfortable.

I understand everyone may not have the same reactions and we all use different methods of delivering insulin, but I wouldn't recommend Lyumjev to any folks in my circle.