Not bad

kevsta

So had a bit of a review today with the doc and gave me some good news

My HbA1c has came down to 53 ideally they want it to go below 48 - that’s the golden mark or something originally my HbA1c was in the high 70s

So they are upping my dosage from 500mg to 750 morning and evening, I’m on slow release which has been with no side effects quite good.

However my doctor still wants me to go on some sort of protection for my kidney Ramipril

Which I feel a bit uneasy about as they tried to put me on these when I first started metformin.

Am I worried about nothing? How have other people gotten on with these and are they long lasting I.e forever ?? I really do try and watch what I eat but it’s difficult, however I’ve given up drinking alcohol since Christmas BUT i still had the odd shandy lol

My weight from 12/4/2020 was 16st and now I’m only 13st 5lb

I feel like I’m on the right path but i know it’s a long road…………

Thanks for listening / reading

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your blood pressure high? Ramipril is a BP drug, although I know some GPS like to prescribe it to diabetics.
I was put on Ramipril as mine was very high for a while. However it didn't suit me as it gave me a dry cough.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been on Ramipril since before my diabetes diagnosis for raised BP, however it still ran a bit high. When I went low carb for my type 2 diagnosis, and lost a shed load of weight my BP came down. It got to the point where it dropped too low and I kept getting dizzy if I stood up quickly, so the dose was halved. I continue on the half dose without side effects and am happy to continue on it.

Oh and edit to add, well done on reducing your HbA1c and your weight loss

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
In my opinion doctors are too keen to prescribe both Ramipril and other BP medications to those who would better controlling it by diet. It is also prescribed for heart failure (which statins can make worse) and diabetic kidney disease, which like Diabetes and BP is best controlled by Low Carb. Dr David Unwin has shown that Low Carb improves kidney function in all his Diabetic patients who have tried it.
I was prescribed both Ramipril and also a Beta Blocker (after my triple bypass) both for high BP - even though my BP had always been low to normal!

kevsta

In my opinion doctors are too keen to prescribe both Ramipril and other BP medications to those who would better controlling it by diet. It is also prescribed for heart failure (which statins can make worse) and diabetic kidney disease, which like Diabetes and BP is best controlled by Low Carb. Dr David Unwin has shown that Low Carb improves kidney function in all his Diabetic patients who have tried it.
I was prescribed both Ramipril and also a Beta Blocker (after my triple bypass) both for high BP - even though my BP had always been low to normal!

What is your diet like out of interest

kevsta

Also…something that my partner mentioned could I not be within my rights to get the docs to do a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours ?

That way it might give a better indication of how my body is coping before I take the ramipril?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
What is your diet like out of interest
Current diet? - Or diet before T2D diagnosis,? or Diet before being scared by medics into going Low Fat ?
All these were 'way of eating' since no calorie reduction because I have almost always been BMI 24 or below.

Current diet is fatty meat/fish, eggs, cheese, nuts and lots of low carb veg every day. Every weekend I allow myself 1 bottle red wine and 1 x 100gm bar of Lindt 90% chocolate.
Diet before T2D diagnosis was chicken/turkey breast or low fat fish, no eggs, no nuts, some reduced fat cheese. Lots of whole grains including Oats and Wheat, lots of tropical fruit ( 1 or 2 large bananas every day), lots of (raw) carrots (at least 2 medium ones per day), frequent Sweet Potatoes , Parsnips, carby snacks, whole grain bread.
Diet before the millennium best described as moderate Protein: Carbs: Fats including some whole grains and lots of tropical fruit.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

You are prescribed these drugs post bypass for a reason, they are to protect cardiovascular health. Just because you've had bypass surgery, it doesn't remove the causative factors which meant you required that bypass in the first place, which is cardiovascular disease The drugs are prescribed to try to prevent the progression of this disease. They are known as cardio-protective drugs.

There are also newer guidelines(2017) for blood pressure readings which were released which now categorise what many have been told is 'normal' blood pressure(120/80) as 'elevated'.
Stage 1 hypertension is 130-139 over 80-89, and
Stage 2 hypertension at least 140/90. So by these guidelines, many of us will be categorised as hypertensive.who were told we had normal blood pressure!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Zilsniggy What you say would make sense if my BP actually was 120/80 or higher. But it's not and never has been. In fact in hospital the doctors were concerned about raising my blood pressure because they thought it too low, but despite that they were still giving me those drugs.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Zilsniggy What you say would make sense if my BP actually was 120/80 or higher. But it's not and never has been. In fact in hospital the doctors were concerned about raising my blood pressure because they thought it too low, but despite that they were still giving me those drugs.

Not suggesting you stop taking them, but it would be interesting to see what your blood pressure was if you did. My partner has been off and on Ramipril for a couple of years, takes the lowest dose, has hypotension, stops taking it, then blood pressure creeps up a bit, so starts again, and we go round in circles.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I stopped taking them over 2 yrs ago. Last BP test was the lowest in 10 yrs