Diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy or diabetic amyotrophy

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi does anyone else on here suffer from diabetic amyotrophy ? Been slowly getting worse over a 2 year period and now is getting me a bit down .

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no idea what this condition was, so I googled it. Here is what I found and which I share so others can understand what is being asked.
https://patient.info/diabetes/diabetes-mellitus-leaflet/diabetic-amyotrophy
firstly they talk about recovery and positive outcomes are possible, Seconfly, normal painkillers are mainly ineffective because it is a nerve effect. They mention steroids, but be aware that these will probably increase your blood sugar levels and make control more difficult.

You show that you are T2D and not using insulin so presumably you do not currently use a glucometer to measure sugar levels. May I suggest if this is the case that you make an investment to get access to one because it makes it quite visible how different foods that you eat affect you and you can see immediately which ones are good, and which meals are making things worse. Look on it as taking back control of your own diabetes and hopefully the nerve problem too. And there are no stupid questions, Feel free to ask away. But we are not medical people so will not be so geared up for the solving the nerve problem. T2D we understand.

And it seems good diabetic control / tight control is required. Since it is nerve based, I would also suggest making sure you are getting all the B vitamins from your diet.

If you delve into this forum for info, then you will find that cutting carbohydrate intake is a good way to reduce blood sugar levels. Carbs turn directly into glucose in the blood and I do mean directly. Cut the carbs and then dealing with the remaining sugars and fats becomes easier.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It sounds like a spell that Harry Potter used on Lord Voldermore.

Reactions: Jofster01582

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no idea what this condition was, so I googled it. Here is what I found and which I share so others can understand what is being asked.
firstly they talk about recovery and positive outcomes are possible, Seconfly, normal painkillers are mainly ineffective because it is a nerve effect. They mention steroids, but be aware that these will probably increase your blood sugar levels and make control more difficult.

You show that you are T2D and not using insulin so presumably you do not currently use a glucometer to measure sugar levels. May I suggest if this is the case that you make an investment to get access to one because it makes it quite visible how different foods that you eat affect you and you can see immediately which ones are good, and which meals are making things worse. Look on it as taking back control of your own diabetes and hopefully the nerve problem too. And there are no stupid questions, Feel free to ask away. But we are not medical people so will not be so geared up for the solving the nerve problem. T2D we understand.

And it seems good diabetic control / tight control is required. Since it is nerve based, I would also suggest making sure you are getting all the B vitamins from your diet.

If you delve into this forum for info, then you will find that cutting carbohydrate intake is a good way to reduce blood sugar levels. Carbs turn directly into glucose in the blood and I do mean directly. Cut the carbs and then dealing with the remaining sugars and fats becomes easier.
I read all that too ....not much help though

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm a t2 on insulin plus oral meds and have been for over 20 years also a self funding libre2 user

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So your bases seem covered there. I have nothing to add.
Pretty much ....from what I've read on a Facebook group I'm only at the early stage .....got a physio appointment week after next to see what they can do awaiting my mri result on my hips and lower spine as there was a few abnormalities on the emg test

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a few other names for it too .....none of them get mentioned much though
Probably too rude for most fora I bet, Thankfully this is not in my experience, so I wish you well, and hope you get resolution soon.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If its nerves in the lower back and surrounds, stretches like I did that cured my sciatica might well help. A good physio is recommended

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If its nerves in the lower back and surrounds, stretches like I did that cured my sciatica might well help. A good physio is recommended
It's the blood supply being cut off to the nerves that's the problem .... got the neuro physio appointment early next month

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's the blood supply being cut off to the nerves that's the problem .... got the neuro physio appointment early next month

Ouch, sounds unpleasant. I appreciate that you're already using a libre (might be worth seeing if the NHS will fund it, as the rules recently changed so that some insulin dependent T2s qualify) but is there any scope for you to tighten your bgs? As a fellow insulin user, I appreciate you are probably doing the best you can, but I find my levels tend to fluctuate a bit, and it's easy for them to slip.

I hope you can get some improvement/help for this.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch, sounds unpleasant. I appreciate that you're already using a libre (might be worth seeing if the NHS will fund it, as the rules recently changed so that some insulin dependent T2s qualify) but is there any scope for you to tighten your bgs? As a fellow insulin user, I appreciate you are probably doing the best you can, but I find my levels tend to fluctuate a bit, and it's easy for them to slip.

I hope you can get some improvement/help for this.
Told last week that I will be getting it prescribed soon

mmmkulkarni86

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I experience symptoms of diabetic amyotrophy whenever I consume sugary foods containing added sugar, such as ice cream, biscuits, chocolate, or other sweets. Firstly, I feel a heaviness in my stomach and my heart starts palpitating. The following day, my left buttock (and thigh) become extremely tight, almost like a rock. This leads to the entrapment of my lower buttock nerve, specifically the pudendal and/or sciatica nerve, resulting in difficulty getting out of bed and standing up. The pain becomes unbearable. The only effective pain relief for me is diclofenac 75 mg, specifically two doses of 75 mg each. Interestingly, diclofenac 50 mg does not work for me. After taking these painkillers for two consecutive days, I return to a normal state.

I have come to realize that the main culprit for my diabetic amyotrophy is solely the added white sugar. When I consume sweet fruits, jaggery, or any other natural sugars, I experience no issues whatsoever. Therefore, I recommend and am also interested in knowing your experiences. Have you noticed any improvements by avoiding added sugar? In my case, eliminating added sugar means no pain and no diabetic amyotrophy. I hope this information proves helpful, and I am curious to hear about your own experiences as well.