Type 1 Is anyone else completely intolerant to sun and heat? Is it a diabetic thing?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always hated anything above 24 c lol, way before I was a diabetic. Where we used to live it would get very hot in the summer and I hated it. Now I'm in a more temperate climate and the temps don't bother me.

But sugars will go up and down with temperature changes, and in heat your vessels dilate. That causes some of the issues. And sometimes it's the sudden changes in Bg levels because of a heat change that can make you feel like bunk. I can't take hot showers without my BG level shooting up and I feel horrible. So I've learned to take lukewarm showers on the cooler side so I don't feel so bad and my sugars don't climb very much. Some people hot showers make their BG levels drop.
Your comment about the shower has stuck in my mind, I get really bad dawn phenomenon and have forever but I also love scorching hot showers and have to have one as soon as I get up, so got me thinking, thanks for mentioning this, I’ll experiment.

Reactions: Marie 2

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I don't want to sound grumpy or miserable as I know most people are sun worshippers who love summer.

But I absolutely detest it. I can't cope with it at all. I've been type 1 for 10 years now and since I was diagnosed I feel so unwell in the heat and sun once it reaches about 19 degrees.

It's barely 21C today and my sugars shot up to the 20s and I thought I was going to pass out on the bus because I couldn't breathe. It makes me feel so weak and like my body is on fire even when my sugars aren't like that. I only sweat on my forehead and I overheat. I also am on the hyper mobility spectrum and I've been told that drains electrolytes really bad and diabetes also does that too which is why I get so faint and nauseated.

I've had 2 litres of water since 1pm (one with Sneak which contains electrolytes) and I haven't been gone to the toilet yet.

Does anyone else with diabetes feel this way in summer/late spring?
Your comment about the shower has stuck in my mind, I get really bad dawn phenomenon and have forever but I also love scorching hot showers and have to have one as soon as I get up, so got me thinking, thanks for mentioning this, I’ll experiment.

I am so glad that I read this post! I lived in Tripoli and Singapore when I was a child and have always loved the heat. However, since being diagnosed as diabetic, I do not tolerate heat at all. But, like you I only sweat on my forehead. Funnily enough, I don't feel the cold and in the depths of winter I don't need a heavy coat and still wear flip flops when I can!

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the hot weather but it doesn't like me .....I end up chasing my sugar levels all day/night (nightshift worker) but insulin ratios go out the window season to season