First hba1c test

CamGreen

Hi there. I have just had the results of my first hba1c test which has come back as 82. I’m waiting for my doctor to call me this evening to discuss in more detail but is a level of 82 high? I’m hoping it may have dropped in the past week as I had a telephone consultation with my dr last week who said that from what I described he was certain it was diabetes and said I should start losing weight straight away. Immediately went on low carb diet which isn’t too bad.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least you have begun to low carb - I wonder why your GP thought it was your weight you need to lower.
Often type 2 diabetics can put on weight really easily and if misadvised to eat all the 'healthy' carbs found on diet sheets, can become rather overweight. The problem is still the high blood glucose levels.
I am heading towards 6 years from diagnosis before the end of this year.
I am in remission as I ate low carb and checked my blood glucose levels after buying a meter, then stuck to those meals and that level of carbs per day for a couple of years, then dropped to even lower carbs.
The advice usually given is to take your glucose levels down gradually week by week as that is safest. I just stopped all the high carb foods, and I did feel wobbly a couple of times. Luckily I don't seem to have come to any harm.

Reactions: hatsoff

CamGreen

I think my weight came into it because I am about 4 stone (56 lbs) overweight. Generally before last week I will admit my diet was dreadful. Lots of sweets ice cream cakes biscuits, the list goes on. But is a hba1c of 82 really bad?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my weight came into it because I am about 4 stone (56 lbs) overweight. Generally before last week I will admit my diet was dreadful. Lots of sweets ice cream cakes biscuits, the list goes on. But is a hba1c of 82 really bad?

An HbA1c of 82 is high, but not off the scale. In the Uk, the diagnostic threshold for diabetes is an A1C of 48 or above, with pre-diabetes 42-47, so you’re well into the diabetic range.

However, many of us here started as high, or higher (mine was 108!) and have got down to non-diabetic levels via a low carb diet, so you’re on the right track.

Reactions: EllieM and Outlier

CamGreen

That’s so encouraging to hear. One really determined to get my levels below 48 but I know I can do it. I thought a low carb diet would be hard but so far I’m actually really enjoying it especially as I now feel that everything I am putting into my body is helping as opposed to before. Will let you know how I get on. Target is 4 stone by Xmas.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like the others have said low carb is the way to go. Mine was a bit higher at 87 and i find out today 1 year later it is at 30. I used my meter to guide me on what i can and cannot cope with. Understanding how your body works takes time and found this video helped me alot to understand :). Once you reduce or cut out carbs, 50 grams or less seemed to work for me but everyone is different and i ended up loosing over 5 stone. Just out walking the dogs with wife and kids was my exercise, just find what works for you

Finding this forum was the best thing i ever done, alot of good information and years of experience :)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am probably a bit blasé about weight - I lost well over 50lb without trying - didn't really notice as I stopped even looking at the scales about 6 months before diagnosis. I was on a diet imposed by the GP. low fat, lots of healthy carbs - I was almost spherical. I have one photo from around that time and I look at it with horror.
As soon as I was diagnosed I was put on tablets and life got much worse - but I got such a shock when I realised I was losing my mind that I threw them away and waited for the explosion from the GP - which never came. my Hba1c had dropped below diabetic levels.
My trousers fell down a couple of times before I realised what was going on but I have been renewing and remaking for some time now.

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was 81 on diagnosis, so close to yours! My last HbA1C was 37 and I’ve come off medication, all thanks to low carb. I consider weight loss a less important metric because controlling blood sugar is the key to managing diabetes, but it definitely won’t hurt.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Mine was over 100 at diagnosis but 81 is too high and needs to come down quite a bit. Good that the GP mentioned weight and going low-carb - good advice. He/she may start you on Metformin which will also help a bit.

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
This converts to an average blood glucose of about 12.9 which is Diabetes. Mine was 18+ when I was diagnosed. My last HBA1c was 37 ( blood glucose of average 5.5) so you can get back to normal blood glucose eventually (about 4.6 for non diabetics). Most type 1s don’t get back to normal again even with insulin. Sugar and Starch are the problem things. Good luck!

Higaomo

I echo what everything else has said - mine was 94 on diagnosis last October, but with Metformin and v low carb (from veg and a little fruit) I got it down to 34 in 3 months. Metformin was halved and I came off it completely 4 weeks later. I’ve lost 65lb and my blood pressure and cholesterol are both back within the normal range.

The HbA1c test (aiui) shows an 8-12 week history, so a week is quite a short time for any significant show change to be reflected - it’s a marathon not a sprint :)

Reactions: marathonmona