Blood pressure

kevsta

So they have upped my metformin to 750 as they can see it’s working which is great

But they wanted to give me ramipril because they think I have high blood pressure as my urine was producing protein which Is a bad thing

And ramipril is mainly for people with heart issues,

So I’ve asked them to monitor my blood - which they said that if scientifically my bloody pressure is averaging within the average then I shouldn’t need the tablets

So got to do this for the next 2 weeks, looks ok at the moment but I know that could change.

If my blood pressure comes back OK over the period of time I think

1 I’m glad I stuck to my guns
2 have I done any more damage to them buy not taking them (me being ignorant)
3 what else could be at play ?

I dunno ‍♂️

Have / has other people been in a similar situation ?

IMG_1656357565.326503.jpg

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

“they think I have blood pressure”? If you have high BP at the docs, you may suffer from white coat syndrome as do many, with those numbers unmedicated, I’m confused why they say you need meds, unless that pil does something else useful for the kidneys etc.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
When I went on bp tablets, several decades ago, they gave me a 24 hour monitor to wear first, which took my bp every 15 minutes. That way they knew what my bp was actually doing. Like the others, I'd have no concerns if my figures were like yours.

Having said that, I have no idea how serious the protein in your urine is. (I've had it a few times, caused by urine infections, but the infection and the protein went away with antibiotics.) It may be that they want your bp much lower because of that???

Do you know what your figures were when tested by the doctors? (And I second @Fenn 's white coat syndrome comment).

Reactions: Fenn

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ramipril can be prescribed in small doses for kidney protection even if you have ok blood pressure. I had protein in my urine and my kidney function wasn’t 100%, I was given ramipril but it gave me an annoying cough so now I’m on Candesartan and I’m fine with that, it did bring my blood pressure down a little bit from 130/70 something to 124/68 and that’s no bad thing. I’m not telling you to take it without questioning but I don’t think it’s been explained to you very well by your GP why you need to take it.

EDITED TO CORRECT THE NAME OF THE MEDICATION :banghead: Very sorry about that and thanks to @Oldvatr for pointing it out :)

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ramipril can be prescribed in small doses for kidney protection even if you have ok blood pressure. I had protein in my urine and my kidney function wasn’t 100%, I was given ramipril but it gave me an annoying cough so now I’m on Ezitimibe and I’m fine with that, it did bring my blood pressure down a little bit from 130/70 something to 124/68 and that’s no bad thing. I’m not telling you to take it without questioning but I don’t think it’s been explained to you very well by your GP why you need to take it.
I am surprised you were given Ezetimibe as a BP med. Studies on that drug show that neither blood sugar nor BP are affected by this med. It is an alternative to statins in that it lowers LDL cholesterol. I have just stopped it since I found it was giving me unpleasant side effects, May I suggest you check this out since it is not as benign as it had seemed when the GP prescribed it.

The Ramipril is probably to protect the kidneys. Diabetics are encouraged to seek lower BP targets than non diabetics but the figures quoted in the OP seeem to be in that target range certainly from the daily log. But as has been said, white coat syndrome is real. I suffer it and I am also allergic to machines, so I get my GP to do a manual reading instead. It is always lower than the machine.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am surprised you were given Ezetimibe as a BP med. Studies on that drug show that neither blood sugar nor BP are affected by this med. It is an alternative to statins in that it lowers LDL cholesterol. I have just stopped it since I found it was giving me unpleasant side effects, May I suggest you check this out since it is not as benign as it had seemed when the GP prescribed it.

The Ramipril is probably to protect the kidneys. Diabetics are encouraged to seek lower BP targets than non diabetics but the figures quoted in the OP seeem to be in that target range certainly from the daily log. But as has been said, white coat syndrome is real. I suffer it and I am also allergic to machines, so I get my GP to do a manual reading instead. It is always lower than the machine.
My BIG mistake I got my med names mixed up - yes I’m Ezatimbe for cholesterol so sorry about that, I will correct my previous post, I’m on Candesartan for my kidneys - thanks for your concern and I refused statins for many years but my cholesterol was going through the roof at 9 something and I have been having minor heart problems I chose to take them, I’ve been absolutely fine on them with no side effects and my cholesterol is now down in the 5s where they used to be

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BIG mistake I got my med names mixed up - yes I’m Ezatimbe for cholesterol so sorry about that, I will correct my previous post, I’m on Candesartan for my kidneys - thanks for your concern and I refused statins for many years but my cholesterol was going through the roof at 9 something and I have been having minor heart problems I chose to take them, I’ve been absolutely fine on them with no side effects and my cholesterol is now down in the 5s where they used to be
The Ezetimibe can build up in the body over time so keep an eye open for the symptoms. I got confusion and memory loss, dizzyness and difficulty walking, and an incredibly runny nose. This latter effect led to post nasal drip and a phlegm buildup which was interfering with my breathing. Since stopping this med, all these symptoms have lessened.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Ezetimibe can build up in the body over time so keep an eye open for the symptoms. I got confusion and memory loss, dizzyness and difficulty walking, and an incredibly runny nose. This latter effect led to post nasal drip and a phlegm buildup which was interfering with my breathing. Since stopping this med, all these symptoms have lessened.
Thank you I will :) - been on it 2 years now and ok so far but it’s always good to have a heads up

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your BP readings are lower than mine. And mine are fine.

PXJmcr

140 over 90 is usually the benchmark for high blood pressure and the point where medication might be discussed. I suspect blood pressure isn’t the issue.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I still take an ACE inhibitor at very low dose. When I was diagnosed I was put on the kitchen sink, my BP was over 200. Doses have dropped as I become healthier.

Nicki70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have T2D and was having chemotherapy before being diagnosed with diabetes. My blood pressure crept up to 204/142 at its worst during chemo, and still they did not put me on ramipril. I even had two cardiology appointments whilst it was that high to check my left ventricular ejection fraction due to one of the chemo drugs and they still did not put me on any BP medication. I pre-op assessment it was still high and no intervention. Took until the day of surgery for the anaesthetist to say she was not happy to put me under an anaesthetic for someone to finally decide I needed to be started on BP medication, then a very thorough junior doctor decided to check my blood glucose and well… the rest is history! Ramipril 2.5 mg really works for me. My blood pressure on Friday at hospital appointment was 123/79.

kevsta

So just to update I’ve completed my readings and I’ve put them into a average calculator and it’s come out at 117/71 unless I’ve miss a number
View attachment 55485
View attachment 55486
View attachment 55487

The nurse is back in on Wednesday so will be giving her a call on Thursday and see what she says

But I think given that my numbers are not high in any comparison I don’t think I will be needing the blood pressure tablets

However and I don’t know if it’s possible it I will ask if there are other forms of medication or that would give me the protection of my kidney - if it’s definitely required

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may be asked to take a diuretic or water tablet to increase the throughput to help flush out some of the blocked kidney tubules. Some diuretics also dilates the capilliaries thus improving the clearance of the tubules.

If they offer you an MRI or CT scan that involves contrast dye, then push back. The dye can block the kidneys and reduce function as happened in my case. I have managed to regain some function, but recovery is limited.

kevsta

So the nurse finally rang today and told me my average blood pressure is 116 / 71

Need to make an appointment with the doc and see what they make of it - thanks for all the comment

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Went to gp with bad chest 5 years ago to come out (after tests etc) with asthma, raised bp and diabetes and a shedload of medication. Now 5 years later that I’m taking my diabetes seriously all other symptoms are improving the better my blood sugars get. Must admit your bp looks normal to me and further discussion with gp is on the cards!

Reactions: Oldvatr

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
So the nurse finally rang today and told me my average blood pressure is 116 / 71

Need to make an appointment with the doc and see what they make of it - thanks for all the comment
This was what I took into my last appointment, doc pulled me off all medications. I was on a beta-blocker and an ACE inhibitor, slowly chipped away at it over 2 1/2 years.

imho, those are good numbers
49DE5BA3-520F-4D44-976C-4511E4E4DDA5.jpeg

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But they wanted to give me ramipril because they think I have high blood pressure as my urine was producing protein which Is a bad thing

I would keep a close eye on my kidney numbers. Less albumin and micro-albumin in the urine is better in diabetics. Creatinine should also be followed.