Need snack ideas for LADA to keep gl up

Hi, I've been diagnosed with LADA for about 6 months. Previously misdiagnosed with Type 2. I'm not yet on insulin. Still producing my own so far. I can't seem to get my numbers down in the mornings. I think I'm experiencing the dawn phenomenon. Anyway, my more urgent concern is needing to have little snacks though out the day to keep my level from dropping too low, especially if I'm active. Any suggestions for appropriate snacks or small meals? (I'm really not a big meat eater.) I'd really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks so much!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @lovetheoutside and welcome to the forums.

I'm slightly confused by your post. Are you on any medication for diabetes? How low is your blood sugar going? Hypoglycemia isn't normally an issue if you aren't on blood sugar lowering meds, though you may feel hungry?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Like @EllieM has asked are you on any diabetes meds? There are some type 1's that have a problem with dropping too low before they fully develop type 1, but it's not as common? But being on diabetic medications could cause it. If you are not on meds and just dropping, there are a few type 1's that say that has happened to them at the beginning. That becomes trickier and you will just have to add snacks to help keep you stable. Unfortunately there is also what we call the Honeymoon phase where your pancreas tries to work and is erratic in what it does manage to make.

DP is a rise in hormones that causes a blood sugar dump from the liver. Getting ready to wake for the day. A "normal" makes insulin to deal with it, a type 2 doesn't utilize their insulin well, but you are lacking insulin so it doesn't come down like it should. That hormone rise also makes you a little insulin resistant to what you do make for a couple hours after you wake up, which is why it's staying high (besides the lack of insulin).

The quickest snacks to treat a hypo are very simple sugars like juice, or a quick candy like ***** bears/jelly belly's or glucotabs. (Nothing with fat or protein, even fiber as it will slow absorption)
A snack that would help keep your sugars rising slowly for a little while to help prevent a low and boost you a little but not quite as fast would be something like half a banana, a small apple,1 pb choc cup, 1 small cookie/biscuit. Like a Biscotti cookie is only 8 carbs each but it won't last as long as it's more of a simple sugar, tangerines can only be about 6 carbs each but won't last as long either unless you are not making enough insulin for any of the above, then you won't come down enough.
A healthy snack to keep you stable would be more along the lines of a little bit of protein, maybe with whole wheat crackers if you need some carbs (just a couple crackers), nuts or pb with something like celery or crackers for more carbs, cheese and crackers. Part of nut bars can work well or a little trail mix if you need some carbs (but watch carb count). Some of the meat alternative jerkies are nice too and most aren't high carbs. One of my favorite snacks are cocoa coated almonds or mushroom jerky. Baby carrots or cherry tomatoes would be low carb, but might not last long enough unless you combine them with something like a nut butter.
I love the small individual servings of plain, chocolate or vanilla soymilk, but they can carry a higher carb count and I use insulin with them, so they might be too much for you. Some of the companies like Kays (not sure if they have them in the UK) make a protein snack that are pretzels etc. Under 15 carbs with around 15 grams of protein. Those could still be too high if you're not making enough insulin.

Keep track of the carb content of what you eat and how much it boosts your BG levels so you can tell what you can and need to eat.

You will have to experiment a little, you have to figure out the amount of carbs you need without eating too many carbs and sending your sugars soaring. As type 1's we need insulin, that helps us actually use the food we eat right. While you are erratic, it's hard to know what you need and what you need could change per day, but your need for insulin will only be more definite as time goes on. I would start using some now with small doses when you go too high so you can make corrections and get used to using it.

Reactions: wendy22

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Like the other posts I'm surprised you are going low unless you are on meds such as Gliclazide. Let us know what meds if any you are on.

Thank you all so much for the info. I am currently on 1000 mg of metformin twice daily and 6 mg of rybelsus daily. My endo is trying to string me along as long as possible before I have to take insulin. I wake with gl numbers from 134 to as high as 165. I don’t know how to change this. I watch my carbs carefully and speed walk at least 45 min at night. I dip as low as 85 sometimes during the day but I often feel like I’m low or sick to my stomach and need little snacks to feel better. This all has just started happening in the last month. Knowing what kinds of snacks is helpful. All the other info was extremely helpful. I’m so afraid of having to take insulin! Should I be? Thanks

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would start to learn to take insulin, at some point you won't have a choice. Right now you could use some to help to make some small corrections. You need to learn to carb count and start to learn what ratios you need and how much insulin you need. And that will all change as time goes on as your pancreas starts making less and less insulin but at least it will be the start of learning.

While type 1's can use a lot of the type 2 drugs, it's usually because you are insulin resistant. But your blood sugars are high and only a problem because you aren't making enough insulin, not because you aren't using insulin well and it's decreasing as time goes on. I used Metformin before I was properly diagnosed right and a few other drugs and they made me sick. I thrived when I got insulin and felt so much better. One of the reasons is I finally had enough insulin to utilize the food I ate.

There are even some theories out there that using some insulin will help your pancreas save what insulin you make and help make it function some for longer. But your problem is not insulin resistance that drugs are used to help type 2's.......it's not making enough insulin in the first place. So the drugs might be delaying taking insulin, but it might also be playing havoc with your system.

A tiny amount in the am would help bring your numbers down to a more normal number, 134-165 aren't horrendous numbers but not optimum either. At some point you are obviously dropping to normal levels and then dropping too much, probably the drugs are causing that. And when you exercise your body uses what insulin you have better, hence you drop. This is a problem for any type 1 on insulin or still making insulin. We don't have all the counterbalances that go on with a "normal" person to keep our BG levels normal. So you either have to learn to have a snack or you take less insulin with a prior meal to make up for exercising. The meds might interfere with some of the food absorbing that would help keep your blood sugars up.

Starting insulin can be scary, I get that, but at some point it's not a choice for us anymore. Have a frank discussion with your endo and discuss some of your symptoms and maybe some changes need to be made. (or switch doctors if you have that option and are not happy).

Reactions: EllieM
I’m still apprehensive about insulin but you’re right, it’s inevitable and I need to accept it. It’s comforting to know that after other drugs, insulin made you feel better. I’ve been on at least 2 other drugs with metformin before rybelsus. It would be nice to feel good everyday again. I have an appt with my endo in a few weeks. I will ask for assistance in calculating carbs with insulin. Thank you.

Reactions: Marie 2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I dip as low as 85 sometimes during the day but I often feel like I’m low or sick to my stomach and need little snacks to feel better.

Though that is on the low end of normal, an actual hypo happens at 70mg/dL . It may be that your body is used to slightly higher than normal levels and you are getting false hypos....?

Having said that, I'm not familiar with rybelsus so wouldn't rule out the possibility that it might make you hypo.

Try not to be scared of insulin. Though hypos can be scary (and potentially dangerous) as a T1 diabetic, insulin is your friend. (I've been friends with it for 52 years. :))

Good luck

Reactions: Marie 2

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was moved to insulin after years on Gliclazide which finally stopped working it was a life changer. Insulin may be a nuisance but it works. Do self-fund or try to get a Libre 2 on prescription. The Libre allows you to manage your insulin with confidence

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your comments. They’re helpful. Makes me feel better to know you’ve been doing this for 52 years.
Hi I was scared about insulin but when I started it I was so much better. Diagnosed Type 1 at 50. To answer you question about snacks I love these, keep in the fridge for 3 days when cool If they last that long! Also make a good pudding!
Low carb ‘muffins’, quick easy and delicious.
Beat with electric whisk mixer 100g ground almonds with 3 eggs, beat in 50ml of milk/ cream/almond milk or I use creme fraiche. Mix in half tablespoon coconut flour. Add 100g raspberries (or blueberries) Put into 8 muffin cases bake at 180 fan for 15-20 mins 5G carbs each for the raspberry ones. Delicious