newly diagnosed type 1 snack recommendations

ellie09

hi, im newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic and i would like some less than 10g of carb snack recommendations as i cant always be bother to stab myself for insulin every time i want a snack or something to eat.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nuts, cheese, olives, seeds, boiled egg, single biscuit, cheese and cracker (depending on the cracker) ... there may be some meats options but I am vegetarian so cannot advise on them.

Reactions: Marie 2 and EllieM

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @ellie09 Welcome to the forum ;)

I am a meat eater, so snack on salami sticks, air dried meat wrapped around hard cheese, pork crackling, almonds and brazil nuts, but as with all snacks in moderation, as the meat can push your BG levels up if you eat enough of it.

Reactions: EllieM

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Pork scratchings are virtually carb free , not to every ones liking but does it for me !

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Japanese Nori seaweed. This isn’t the same as sushi seaweed but has been baked like a packet of crisps. Comes in different flavours like crisps.
081A875E-6F89-4578-A123-F3735EB17B0C.jpeg

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
All Nuts (except for cashews) are very low carb. About 20 almonds is less than 3 carbs. Tamari flavored ones are really nice and gives you a savory taste.. I also get a cocoa coated one that is still only 10 almonds for 5 carbs.. Nut butters on celery. Nuts butters are great! I'm a vegan so I like the plant based jerky's, but do check the carbs as it varies, lots of different flavors available.

There is some 80% chocolate out there, that's low carb. One brand is Lily's chocolate chips, 25 chips (25 is 2 carbs, 50 is 4 carbs) mixed with dried unsweetened coconut (2 carbs per 2 tablespoons) for a chewy sweet snack. There are a few other companies that make high cocoa content chocolate of all different sorts now. Or even sweetened with stevia or erythritol.

An avocado is only about 4 net carbs, all sorts of dressings available to put on it. 1 cup of cut up cauliflower is only 3 carbs and broccoli is about 3,5 carbs. Precut, washed raw in a bag are extra convenient to buy. Medium sized baby carrots 10 are about 5 net carbs. And about 10 large white mushrooms are about 5 carbs. Regular cherry tomatoes are usually only 1 carb each. Any of the veggies can be dipped in the dressing of your choice or even just mayo.

A whole regular sized bag of frozen mixed veggies, most are only 15-20 carbs. Micro half a bag and put cheese shreds on it, butter or nutrutional yeast, or soy sauce and you have a good sized bowl with only about 8-10 carbs pretty quick.

Mr Doggy

I'd agree with dark high cacao chocolate, infact over diabetic branded chocolate for its low carbs. To faceoff vs. hunger low GI protein bars are very good too. You may not have heard of Shirataki noodles. They have no calories but you have to try various brands to find the one for you. Some are the same taste and texture as spaghetti and others more noodle like. You can basically have a full plate of spaghetti carbonara (using egg not cream) or using tofu and mushrooms. Making a simple dashi with that (seaweed or mushroom) makes it filling.

You have to measure this out but Hummus, Mutabal and (non sugared) Muhammara with celery, apple or even dried meat is a great summer dish.

Gazpacho depending on bread in the mix is very low.

You didn't ask but its worth sharing. If you're missing ketchup and especially spicy ketchup check out Salsa Valentina. It tastes like a BBQ / Heinz chilli sauce but without the same consistency but you can add in other chillis or Xantham gum to thicken it up. You can get it on Amazon and speciality stores. For me it was a game changer!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its great that you can now get mini packs of snacky stuff (if at a price) at Marks and Spencer although a bit of decent supperware and some food planning you can do these yourself:
mozzarella balls and sun dried tomatoes
homous and carrot sticks
prawn cocktail
cocktail sausages
antipasto e.g. salami, hams
boiled eggs
When first on insulin you may have a snack attack or tow as it can make you hungry.
Further down the track I think you are right to limit carbs given the issues most of us have with getting bolus dosing right. Low carb can be a good option when you've got used to your current regime.
Good luck!