Metformin pains

James.Kapherr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is so me at the moment. 4th week of Metformin (2x500mg twice a day) and the stomach pains and diarrhea is unbearable.

I went from going to the loo twice a day with "healthy" stools to going once every 3 days, constipation followed by stomach pains and then for an hour or so constant diarrhea.
Then 3 days of no bowel movements then it repeats.

I've not spoken to my doctor yet.

I don't like taking pills and changed my diet from

- no cakes, biscuits, sweets any more
- no sugar in coffee
- only drink water so no fizzy drinks
- count calories and measure everything
- cut carbs to 130g a day
- no white bread, pasta etc
- joined a gym
- eating between 1200-1600 calories a day

I'd prefer not to take pills, but the doctor was insistent. My reading when I was diagnosed was 52.

I'm currently on holiday and the pills are making it hard for me to enjoy being out.

If I stop now, how long does it take for my pains and diarrhea to stop?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I found this on drugs.com about how long metformin stays in the system:

Metformin (brand name: Glucophage) will be in your system for 96.8 hours which is approximately 4 days. Metformin has an elimination half-life of approximately 17.6 hours. 5.5 x 17.6 hours = 96.8 hours for metformin.

To be honest an A1C of 52 is not far into the diabetic range and I’d wager that the changes you’ve made to your diet will likely have reduced it. Am actually quite surprised that metformin was prescribed at those levels.

It is always your decision about what you put into your body - food or medication. Your health care professionals provide advice and information but the decision is yours.

Can’t tell you what to do, but I’d be inclined to have a shot at enjoying a bog-free holiday!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is so me at the moment. 4th week of Metformin (2x500mg twice a day) and the stomach pains and diarrhea is unbearable.

I went from going to the loo twice a day with "healthy" stools to going once every 3 days, constipation followed by stomach pains and then for an hour or so constant diarrhea.

- no sugar in coffee
- joined a gym

I'd prefer not to take pills, but the doctor was insistent. My reading when I was diagnosed was 52.

I'm currently on holiday and the pills are making it hard for me to enjoy being out.

I’ll repeat what I said in your other post

Just because your doctor insists doesn’t mean you must do it. The low carb / dietary changes / exercise could be helping more than the metformin but speaking to your doctor and hopefully getting a repeat hba1c may help you see if that is the case

those side effects are not good, slow release can mitigate those effects for some. For others they just can’t tolerate metformin. There are alternatives but please speak to your doctor and tell them what’s happening. Suffering isn’t good

I hope things work out better for you. I hope your holiday improves

James.Kapherr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped taking the pills on Sunday morning. Had a bad stomach at lunch time. No pains after that, but also I've not had a number 2 since then. It's like I go from one extreme to the next lol.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking the pills on Sunday morning. Had a bad stomach at lunch time. No pains after that, but also I've not had a number 2 since then. It's like I go from one extreme to the next lol.
When low carbing, make sure you have plenty of green veg (lightly cooked). Some people (me included) like to take magnesium citrate supplement which can helps bowels. And I also have a spoonful or 2 a day of milled seeds, linseed, chia or the various mixes you can get now. Stirred through plian yoghurt it makes a good and regular start to the day;)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vitamin C powder in a glass of water (tastes pleasantly lemon-y) can help, but start with the tip of a teaspoon and see if that's enough as overdoing it can be spectacular!

I eat loads of veg. in salads and cooked, and since damaging my gut with prescribed meds, that is not enough. I stopped the meds six months ago and things are improving, but very slowly.

tevelad

- no sugar in coffee
- joined a gym

I was on metsformin like yourself in the loo all the time my doctor put me on gliclaside a lot better

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
After 13 weeks on Metformin I had to stop. It didn't just mess with my gut, it messed with my head. The diabetic nurse has been no help at all. Her only response was to prescribe a different drug. If my HbA1c was 52, I'd be trying out low-carbing and maybe some fasting. Keto was too low for me and messed me up too

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Try asking for sukkarto SR metformin .....much easier on your intestines