NUMBNESS IN TOES

stevieg662

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and issued Metformin which I had adverse effects from so have bow been put on a slower release one which is far better however I have now developed extreme tingling and numbness in both sets of toes.
I have spoken with diabetic nurse and have been told it is a known side effect of diabetes and it is something I have got to get used too.

It is driving me crazy - the only relief I get is whilst walking around but as soon as I stop then sit down - bang the numbness, tingling and painful pins and needles start and does not cease until I get up and walk around again.

Is there anyone that can recommend medication, ointment or foot massager - anything. I have tried an EMS machine which helps whilst using it but as soon as it turns off it comes back again.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and issued Metformin which I had adverse effects from so have bow been put on a slower release one which is far better however I have now developed extreme tingling and numbness in both sets of toes.
I have spoken with diabetic nurse and have been told it is a known side effect of diabetes and it is something I have got to get used too.

It is driving me crazy - the only relief I get is whilst walking around but as soon as I stop then sit down - bang the numbness, tingling and painful pins and needles start and does not cease until I get up and walk around again.

Is there anyone that can recommend medication, ointment or foot massager - anything. I have tried an EMS machine which helps whilst using it but as soon as it turns off it comes back again.

Hello, and welcome, @stevieg662
So sorry you are having such discomfort. It seems that your nurse is suggesting your symptoms are due to neuropathy? If so, there are medications he / she can prescribe. You don’t have to ‘get used to it’ and suffer. Go back and ask for another opinion.

Some people find symtoms such as you have do improve, if they manage better control of blood glucose levels. The best way to do this for someome with T2 diabetes is to reduce carbohydrate foods in diet, and to regularly test using a blood glucose meter. Have you tried that?

Reactions: EllieM

stevieg662

Hi many thanks for your reply it is much appreciated. My nurse said they same as you with regards to levelling out my blood glucose - currently I only test every few days and my readings are between 6 and 7.

Reactions: Pipp

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yep, recognize all that.

I had the full range - everything from burning feet through pins and needles to numbness and even a sort of warm fuzziness that isn't that unpleasant. I also had relief from standing, but sitting or lying down brought it on like fury. I wasn't even "officially diabetic".

The good news? It has almost completely gone since getting my blood sugars back into normal range. All happened very quickly.

There is still some tingling, usually late at night (I have it right now). It's not painful and it doesn't stop me sleeping. I think if it stayed like this forever, I wouldn't be that bothered.

So - low carb - for me that meant ~20g/day - did the trick. You might find it works for you as well. Best of luck.

stevieg662

Hello, and welcome, @stevieg662
So sorry you are having such discomfort. It seems that your nurse is suggesting your symptoms are due to neuropathy? If so, there are medications he / she can prescribe. You don’t have to ‘get used to it’ and suffer. Go back and ask for another opinion.

Some people find symtoms such as you have do improve, if they manage better control of blood glucose levels. The best way to do this for someome with T2 diabetes is to reduce carbohydrate foods in diet, and to regularly test using a blood glucose meter. Have you tried that?
Yep, recognize all that.

I had the full range - everything from burning feet through pins and needles to numbness and even a sort of warm fuzziness that isn't that unpleasant. I also had relief from standing, but sitting or lying down brought it on like fury. I wasn't even "officially diabetic".

The good news? It has almost completely gone since getting my blood sugars back into normal range. All happened very quickly.

There is still some tingling, usually late at night (I have it right now). It's not painful and it doesn't stop me sleeping. I think if it stayed like this forever, I wouldn't be that bothered.

So - low carb - for me that meant ~20g/day - did the trick. You might find it works for you as well. Best of luck.
Yep, recognize all that.

Hi KennyA many thanks for your reply - much appreciated. I will certainly be looking at carb intake as well as sugars. Thanks

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I also get tingling in the toes, and sometimes this goes up my lower leg. I spoke to my GP who prescribed gabapentin for "restless legs" I have to say it normally works, but it does make me feel groggy the next day. Hope this helps.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had neuropathy since 2004 in my toes to start with but gradually moving up the legs in places .....like wearing thick woollen socks all the time things to watch out for are badly fitting socks/shoes I had gangrene in my big toe (not nice especially when you can smell your own toe rotting) but saved just in the nick of time ......infections can blow out of all proportions in a very short time so be vigilant