Newly diagnosed

Leejay

Hi
Got diagnosed Monday and stumbled across this site looking to educate myself.
I have high blood pressure and was asked to do routine blood tests to check my liver.
Called up a week later and they said all your bloods are fine, well Monday night the head of the GP’s I see called me and explained I have type 2 with a reading of 86.This needs meds of metformin.
Also to make things a bit more interesting my cholesterol needs meds called statins.
All the females in my family are type one I am the only male so far to get diabetes.
Saw the nurse and she explained that she will send me for an eye examination and also Desmond’s.she was great actually and answered the many questions I had.
My lifestyle sucks , been working from home since 2019 put on weight ,little to no exercise
This has to and will change not good at 51.
thought I’d say hi , it’s a great resource you have here
Leejay

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday night the head of the GP’s I see called me and explained I have type 2 with a reading of 86.
Leejay

That 86 is your HbA1c, an average blood glucose reading for the past 12 weeks. Non-diabetic would be anywhere from 20-41.
Prediabetic is 42-47 & anything over 47 is considered T2.

Also to make things a bit more interesting my cholesterol needs meds called statins.

Big push back against them in recent years amongst the diabetic community.
Evidence they actually increase your insulin resistance & have very little long term benefit.

All the females in my family are type one I am the only male so far to get diabetes.

Did they check you for T1 antibodies & c-peptide levels.
Might be worth doing to rule out T1 due to the genetic link.

My lifestyle sucks , been working from home since 2019 put on weight ,little to no exercise
This has to and will change not good at 51.

Don't beat yourself up, good news is you probably have huge wiggle room on weight & exercise

Leejay

That 86 is your HbA1c, an average blood glucose reading for the past 12 weeks. Non-diabetic would be anywhere from 20-41.
Prediabetic is 42-47 & anything over 47 is considered T2.

Evidence they actually increase your insulin resistance & have very little long term benefit.

Did they check you for T1 antibodies & c-peptide levels.
Might be worth doing to rule out T1 due to the genetic link.

Don't beat yourself up, good news is you probably have huge wiggle room on weight & exercise

Evidence they actually increase your insulin resistance & have very little long term benefit.[/QUOTE]
Are you saying I should not take these as there is no benefit?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying I should not take these as there is no benefit?[/QUOTE]

I'm tagging in @bulkbiker
He's one of our long term members who has "strong" feelings about them.

I do remember another member, who's name escapes me, that tipped into T2 because of taking statins, medically marked as statin intolerant.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I remember reading that the lead researcher on the very first big study of statins for reducing heart disease concluded that they were only likely to be require for those with an LDL of over 7 mmol.
Nowadays (and without any further evidence) they tend to be prescribed for almost all diabetics (certainly those with a total cholesterol of over 4 mmol.

Since then it has been discovered that the ratio between HDL and triglycerides track heart disease much better than the level of LDL does. So I'm content not to take statins even though my total cholesterol is around 7 because my LCHF diet means my HDL is high and my Triglycerides are low (both of which are good).

So search out the actual information rather than what is supposedly 'common knowledge' Find out the HDL a, Triglyceride and LDL numbers from your lipid profile and make your own informed decision.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.

When I was first diagnosed my cholesterol was 6.1, they mentioned statins, but I said "I'll just hit the gym more".. (I wasn't overweight - 11stone/69kg). In 3 months it went from 6.1 to 4.2, so statins aren't needed if you put in the work.

Yulkuy

When I was first diagnosed my cholesterol was 6.1, they mentioned statins, but I said "I'll just hit the gym more".. (I wasn't overweight - 11stone/69kg). In 3 months it went from 6.1 to 4.2, so statins aren't needed if you put in the work.
I always have mixed feelings about absolute statements and diabetes, as I (and judging by picture, you as well) am young, how will it be when we are 50+?

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I always have mixed feelings about absolute statements and diabetes, as I (and judging by picture, you as well) am young, how will it be when we are 50+?

I don't know to be honest, but you cant think like that really because there is no way of ever knowing the answer.
I have been diabetic for longer than 12 years, I have no organ damage (recent blood test) but some damage to my left eye (no screening due to pandemic was the main cause), which according to the optician today has actually retracted somewhat over the last 18 months.

I'm 42, so kind of nearing 50 :)