Waiting for formal diagnosis

Emma JH

Last week I was feeling unwell. Increased thirst, blurred vision, passing urine more etc.

Started testing BS ranging from 14.5-22.9,spoke to Gp and had a blood test Monday, online results back for HAc1 returned as 100, so I am assuming that’s a confirmed diagnosis of diabetes.

Hoping to speak to my GP soon for formal results and action plan. No appointments available until next week.

Have already started to change my diet, reducing carbs and sugar.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week I was feeling unwell. Increased thirst, blurred vision, passing urine more etc.

Started testing BS ranging from 14.5-22.9,spoke to Gp and had a blood test Monday, online results back for HAc1 returned as 100, so I am assuming that’s a confirmed diagnosis of diabetes.

Hoping to speak to my GP soon for formal results and action plan. No appointments available until next week.

Have already started to change my diet, reducing carbs and sugar.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
It depends on what type of diabetes you turn out to have (which is likely unclear at the moment).

If you turn out to be a T2, by far the most likely type, you might like to have a read of this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Reactions: Hopeful34

Emma JH

Thank you, I will take a look, hoping I’ll know more in a week or so. I knew I needed to lose weight this has given me the kick I needed x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you, I will take a look, hoping I’ll know more in a week or so. I knew I needed to lose weight this has given me the kick I needed x

An hba1c of 100mmol/mol corresponds to an average blood sugar of 15.4 mmol/L...

Hopefully the reduction in carbs and sugar will help but I will give you one caution, not because I think it will happen to you (it's pretty unlikely because it mainly occurs in undiagnosed T1s and T2 is much much more common) but because it is a medical emergency if it does.

Diabetic ketoacidosis - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

Emma JH

Confirmed today and have been prescribed Gliclazide twice daily, close monitoring of blood sugars with a low carb diet, booked in with the diabetic nurse in 2 weeks for a review.

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Confirmed today and have been prescribed Gliclazide twice daily, close monitoring of blood sugars with a low carb diet, booked in with the diabetic nurse in 2 weeks for a review.

Thanks for updating.

Just be aware that gliclazide can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I would make sure that if if I was out and about I had some form of sugary treat with me for emergency use should I go low.

Good luck.